Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hello Thread!

I've played SS2 and SS1 EE, so finally getting around to SS1R has been a delight, despite my computer's implementation of proton forcing me to run it at 1600x at 50% resolution (sigh). Well, at least it's a pixelated mess as it should be! hohoho

Anyways, the gun situation is kinda annoying. In the OG, there where a ton of joke/lovely guns, which was fine as you'd try them out a bit, drop them and never think about it again. They've seemed to have done away with that in favour of this upgrade system that keeps the guns around for longer, but really really cluters the inventory. Doubly so as they've backported the recycling game, to add more inventory tension/tedium. Just fought Diego for the first time (Awesome!) and now I'm taking stock of this ridiculous arsenal of 8-slot guns and endless ammo. First world problems, I know.

-I've not used the Laser Rapier at all, apart from a single kill to test it. Jesus wept.
-Is there much point to the Ion Pulse gun (base) vs my upgraded Sparq? The biggest difference is the overload, which instead of getting two quick shots has this weird chargeup thing. Might be a lemon until an upgrade canister comes along, easy choice. Might ditch them both, given the ammo situation...
-I think I'm gonna start carrying this goddamn nade launcher just to quickly empty my inventory of the drat things
-Was there a shotgun in the OG? Regardless, between it, the downgraded skorpion, the magnum, and the assault rifle, there's too many midrange guns vyying to do the same thing.
-I'm sorely tempted to downgrade to un-upgraded guns just so they take less space...

Oh well. Oh, and is there any way of disabling Temporal Anti-Aliasing? It's un unbelievably blurry mess every time a door opens etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Don't carry around every gun, pick a selection and dump the ammo for the others in cargo lifts.

I thought the guns all felt really good. My only real disappointment was the mag pulse, for a dedicated robot killing gun it was p mid at killing robots. The magnum is the champ, that stays useful until the end.

Keep your emp grenades, they are vital for bosses. And a stealth thing about the laser rapier is it does almost no damage if you are out of power.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I thought the mag pulse did great at taking out robots, especially with headshots. Was definitely switching to it often enough that I ended up running out of ammo before the end of the game.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I'm not sure I realized headshots mattered to the magpulse given the projectile and the target. Maybe that was why it felt underpowered to me.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea headshots from the mag pulse has been doing some heavy lifting in Engineering, finally ran out of ammo for it. Two-shots cyborg warriors if you add a single tap from the scorpion. Also fool that I was to think "Why carry a nade launcher when I could just throw the things?", this thing is bonkers.

It's a testament to how good the remake is that I turned a corner and instantly got PTSD as I recognised the area. Engineering's a stressful rat maze, yet years later in a different engine I came across a room that I ran through so many times before that it's unmistakable. Shivers.

Game is so drat good.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Twobirds posted:

I'm not sure I realized headshots mattered to the magpulse given the projectile and the target. Maybe that was why it felt underpowered to me.

Yeah, I wasn't sure either until... I forget what it was exactly, there's some mode or powerup that highlighted the heads with boxes over them and that's when it clicked for me. The Target Identifier?

"Press Left Alt-key when looking at an enemy and it will display the target's name, health and armour as well as potential weakpoints."

That.

I think it turned out that basically everything had a "head", even if it didn't look like it would.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Ah yes, the key/module that never, ever worked for me despite being definitely listed in the key bindings.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Twobirds posted:

Ah yes, the key/module that never, ever worked for me despite being definitely listed in the key bindings.

I think you need to activate it before it works? So turn on the module, then you can use the targeting key.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

I'm sure I did, or at least thought I did. At the time I found other people having the same problem so I assumed I hit the same bug.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, the keybindings are kinda dodgey. I found that rebinding a few of them made them work fine all of a sudden.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The mag pulse's alt fire was wicked too, I found it useful for most of the game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

aniviron posted:

The mag pulse's alt fire was wicked too, I found it useful for most of the game.

i put down the game halfway through engineering and picked it up again to finish it a couple of weeks back, in front of a door that had 3 of the level 2 dickbots patrolling behind it; the magpulse was slow, arced, and i died a bunch of times trying to get past them. like it definitely works but i feel like it's a more early game weapon and you're better off with the magnum.

But really they're all a good time even the sparq, i was just a little soured on the gun by that experience. i hope they do a bunch of similar work on ss2, but i suspect it's just going to be a tidy up.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea unlike in the original standing your ground and holding down the trigger is a bad idea half of the time. I feel magpulse is kinda designed around pumping the double-shot then ducking around a corner to slowly rearm it, dps racing a mk2 bot isn't its strong suit.

What's the mechanics on these shield bars enemies have? Some weapons ignore it, I think bullet-style stuff tries to chew through it, but I don't know if it's constantly regenerating or if the regen is temporarily disabled when they take a hit, what's the nuance here what should I be doing?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

A decent sized patch just came out for this and it's ~50% off this weekend on Steam and GOG.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/system-shock-remakes-next-update-will-rework-the-final-boss-battle-and-add-a-female-character-option

quote:

This update will complete upload to Citadel Station on April 11th

Like an elevator lift whose controls have “mysteriously malfunctioned”, let’s dive right into it.

A female Hacker has now been added as a playable character
- Select the Hacker’s appearance from the New Game Configuration screen
[as opposed to the unofficial mod that was made around release]

Reworked the entire final fight with new mechanics and a unique flow
– Face and defeat (?) Shodan once more in her new cyberspace domain

Cloud Sync support has been added

- you can now pick up and continue your game on whichever machine you find yourself on.

Other major Changes
Alpha Strain enemies have a new attack
Avian Mutant enemies have a new attack
Cyborg Diego has new movement options
Continued refining enemy AI and behaviors
Mission waypoints have been implemented for (Easy mission difficulty)
Better Gamepad handling and implementation
Major optimizations across the entire game — Steam Deck users rejoice!
Achievements are properly awarded when completing the requirements
Some first person Hacker animations have been corrected
General combat and speed balance adjustments across enemies and weapons
Credits added to the Title Screen
Improved quest logic behavior across several areas of the game
Players can now no longer save over the AutoSave, and the AutoSave will now only appear in the Load Game menu
Game Over screen can now be skipped
Recycle Station ‘inventory’ size has increased to 4x3 from 3x3 to allow recycling of bigger junk items. Scrapper rejoice!
The max payout from a Recycle Station is now 120 Credits
EMP stun duration has been reduced by 25%
SHODAN will lock the Research control room door if the player fires the Mining Laser at Earth
Detox patch now has a 25% protection bonus against environment hazards while active
Fix a soft lock that could occur when dying while interacting with a Surgery Machine
Items dropped inside of elevators should no longer disappear
Pathfinding performance improvements in Flight Deck and Groves
Fix a case where the player was able to clip through the world by loading games while crouched
Fix a case where plasma projectile FX would spawn every frame and wouldn’t clean up properly, causing major frame drops

Minor changes
Easier to see total counts of collected Media items
Added a button to the entrance of the Security level to ensure you can backtrack to the rest of the Station
General FX improvements and tweaks
New artwork on monitors across Citadel Station
Enemy callouts and vocals are less frequent now
Better text sizing for all languages
Jump Jet behavior improved
The color of some projectiles were tweaked
Sped up animations of using Dermal Patches
Enemies who are near Restoration Bays will be teleported to their spawn location to ensure the Hacker doesn’t get softlocked by being killed repeatedly
Save files are now counted incrementally
Fix ups of various Cyberspace levels and enemy placements within
Better handling of Hacker death in unlikely scenarios
SHODAN now has a surprise for the player when Diego is killed on the Security level
Total Enemy Reinforcements have been increased across all levels
Reduced the number of enemies that can bunch up in the same Reinforcement Volume
Enemies will remember the player for longer on all difficulties
Enemy line of checks include the projectile collision radius whenever possible so that their attacks fail less often
Fixed an enemy ambush that wasn’t activating properly in the Medical CPU room if the player comes back later in the game
Kickstarter corpse tokens added to enemies
Enemy awareness in the Flight Deck trap room after saving and loading has been fixed
Diego boss AI adjustments, largely in the first encounter
Cortex Reavers can now perform a strafe jump to more quickly engage the player
Mutated Cyborg and Tiger-Gorilla dismemberment has been fixed
Cyborg Mantis walks faster, will sprint more frequently, and HP increased slightly
Flier-Bots now have an Autocannon in addition to Gas Grenade attacks
Striker-Bots now have a Laser Cannon in addition to Homing Missile attacks
Flier-Bot and Striker-Bot textures have been improved
Fix for Hoppers and Mobile Lasers not being able to hit the player while leaning behind a wall
Security-1 Bot now has a rapid fire attack pose
Cyborg Warrior now has a moving attack similar to the Security-2 Bot
Cyborg Elite Guard head-mounted laser attack damage increased from 60 to 80
Alpha Strain long range attack now has a unique animation
Skorpion default inventory size has been reduced from 4x2 to 3x2
Assault Rifle damage increased slightly from 24 to 25 per round
Plasma Rifle now has an animation to unload the active Plasma Core
Abe Ghiran’s Head inventory size has been increased from 1x1 to 2x2
Missing character portraits have been added
Cyberspace I.C.E Shield FX has been improved
Wire Puzzle has new FX to more clearly indicate the required power level to solve it
Fix for Circuit Puzzle dead-end nodes filling from the wrong side in some cases
Fixed holes in the walls in Research tiles,
Berserk patches now cost 5 Tri-Credits from a dispenser instead of 4
Shotgun ammo cost in Ammo Depots has been reduced from 15 to 14 credits
Loot table adjustments to reduce quantity of ammo received from Exec-Bots, Flier-Bots, Striker-Bots and Cyborg Enforcers
Ammo adjustments in Reactor, Alpha Grove, Delta Grove, Engineering, Security, and Bridge
Reduced the number of First Aid Kit pickups in Flight Deck, Security and Bridge
Assigned the correct idle animation to the Cyborg Drones (No more hovering guns while they are charging)
Jump Jet improvements while in Low Gravity Volumes
Loading a save while falling will properly restore the player’s velocity
Barrel dispensers will no longer drop their dispensed barrels when the player leaves and comes back to a level.
Energy Drain Mines will no longer prepend multiple “Destroyed” strings to their name after being repeatedly destroyed
Fix for player losing Low-Grav/Repulsor mods when switching to certain weapons
Improvements to how the enemy AI handles changing Repulsor Lift direction
Reactor’s Repulsor Lifts have been adjusted slightly to fix potential soft locks
Fix for the player being able to exit the Diego V1 arena by blocking main doorway
Doors will more elegantly restore their collision state when loading a save
Shotgun shell texture has been fixed
Crack-O’s are now no longer considered Junk
Fix for certain wall monitors not breaking when attacked
Fixed small animation issue with the Isolinear Chipset on the Bridge
Fixed sparking cable issues on Maintenance
Fix for several achievements not completing properly
Small text adjustments and spellings
Music playback adjustments
Fixed a potential audio component memory leak when concurrency limits were reached
Added a Controller Vibration accessibility option
Improved gamepad support on MFD
Improved automap performance
Fixed several visual artefacts on the automap
Automap will always update the map info bar with the data for the currently selected level
Implant tooltips will no longer display off the edge of the screen on certain display configs
Fix for the ‘Back’ button on gamepad causing the player to crouch when exiting menus
Credits updated
Other minor improvements, adjustments and balance tweaks

As you can see we’ve been hard at work and we would like to thank all insects who contributed feedback to ensure the smoother running of Shodan’s death domain.

We look forward to seeing you insects once more in Citadel Station.
- Your System Shock Team

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 13, 2024

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

oh poo poo the 1.2 patch is finally coming? I think I heard that it has been ready for a while, but the publisher didn't want it to go live before the console release was ready (or something)

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
hello the many, qq: imagine your hacker had an in-universe wristwatch type device. what are some top of mind qol features you'd want it to have? both as a game player and perhaps in a role playing mindset as well? asking for a friend

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

spider wisdom posted:

hello the many, qq: imagine your hacker had an in-universe wristwatch type device. what are some top of mind qol features you'd want it to have? both as a game player and perhaps in a role playing mindset as well? asking for a friend

Number of voice logs/memos unread. Quest items in inventory. Arrows towards healing bed and elevators already found on current floor.

Honestly I'm not sure where the line between "quality of life" and "basically cheating" is drawn. As it is, the game mostly expects you to keep track of your objectives and key information from logs and radio calls yourself.
Maybe simply an in-game memo pad would be reasonable to put on such a thing too?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
ChessGPT for sure

Some kind of hidden door detector wouldn't be unwelcome too for the doors that just look like walls

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

spider wisdom posted:

From a roleplaying type mindset, a fitbit style device. Something to give health information diegetically.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

I haven't thought about the remake since the it came out. Never actually bought it. Then I got hit with a big wave of nostalgia and ended up looking up my old GoG account, saw it was on sale, and slammed "purchase" on a drunken whim. (I also dug out my old Attack 3 logitech stick and updated the drivers to play TIE Fighter again. :v: )

Good loving timing. :D

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AlternateNu posted:

I haven't thought about the remake since the it came out. Never actually bought it. Then I got hit with a big wave of nostalgia and ended up looking up my old GoG account, saw it was on sale, and slammed "purchase" on a drunken whim. (I also dug out my old Attack 3 logitech stick and updated the drivers to play TIE Fighter again. :v: )

Good loving timing. :D

I am eyeing the time until i have forgotten enough about the last playthrough that i can do another one, maybe a few more months

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I stepped back in after the update, and just finished Medical and moved up to Research. It's so spooky walking around and I still don't understand how to reduce enemy respawn. :ohdear:

But putting a fully wound-up wrench to a mutant's head is still hilarious

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the new showdown with SHODAN is nice and feels more like a final boss than it originally did. I think it's the best they could've done in comparison to the original

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So apparently there is a time limit? Or is that on the higher difficulties?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Unlucky7 posted:

Literally only a thing on the highest "Mission" difficulty, one of four categories you can adjust the difficulty of.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Unlucky7 posted:

One of the Difficulty options is putting a 10 hour time limit to defeat SHODAN, while she also keeps a better eye on you to send more monsters.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonsterEnvy posted:

One of the Difficulty options is putting a 10 hour time limit to defeat SHODAN, while she also keeps a better eye on you to send more monsters.

it's very much a second time through difficulty boost, it would be easy to gently caress yourself and not have enough time to finish (but not realise) if you were playing for the first

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Okay good, I figured that was the case when someone else mentioned it when talking about higher difficulty runs but I wanted to be sure.

Anyway liked what I played so far, except that wench hits should not sound like literally nothing.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

I am eyeing the time until i have forgotten enough about the last playthrough that i can do another one, maybe a few more months

:same:

its an absolute banger of a game, pre and post remake

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Comfortably finished for the first time at 2221 difficulty, because Good Christ I was never touching the original with its prehistoric interface and bizarre midi soundtrack.

Is the final combat arena being irradiated a new change with the 1.2 patch? Because that was as annoying as that pro AI guy in the RPG thread.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That was the way it was in the original game, so they decided to bring it back, I guess

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I just camped outside the door with the railgun. I'm a hacker, not a fighter.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I kind of liked the bridge from the original better. Just had more atmosphere and did without the really gamey timed boss-rush like sequence before the final cyberspace plunge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It only occured to me now that you can flip all three switches and just jet up to the platform.