Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
One thing I think is worth revisiting which I don't think I've seen you do is the smoking guy in the poison gas room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Oh hey new page, nifty. And yeah, I mention in this video the Man Behind Glass specifically, so we'll definitely get to him! For other things, I'm checking notes/discoveries, actually making a list instead of saying the word 'list' out loud, and so on. But!

Episode 22!

We're starting off what I think is our final story loop, here! It's my expectation that I'll get through the day, then do a wrap-up with side things that I've missed along the way, might maybe try some Julianna play and see what that's about also. We're coming up to the climax, though!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Not going to lie, I sniggered when you wandered right past Julianna's antenna without hacking it and had to backtrack :laugh:

It's cool to see how zippy the levels can be once you have played them a lot. The loop aspect has some fun benefits in that way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Goddamnit - 'Two-bit'. As in, the computer is really crummy.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 23!

In which we explore Fristad Rock and find out that Fia has one last all-or-nothing gimmick for us! And also that her and Charlie's relationship is totally, entirely healthy. She was already vying for my 'most hated visionary' based on presented traits but hoo boy she is putting in the overtime for the belt there, isn't she?

[i[Documents![/i[
- An Argument Against AEON - This one doesn't give us as much reason to paint Colt per se as the bad guy as I thought it would, but does a *lot* of worldbuilding on its own. Seems the whole rest of the world is dealing with a plague of some sort, and AEON is just rich folks moving away to their special island where dying isn't a concern, and bringing the few necessary serfs along with. Of course, the only real-world point to rich people loving off to their own island is when they *do* die, preferably in hilarious and preventable ways. Still, it does make the spies' betrayal make a bit more sense!

Mirov, though. I want to say we've seen that name referenced before, but I couldn't tell you where off the top of my head.

- Salt-scented page

A few more items from today on our loose ends wrap-up, but we shall not be deterred from our mission. We've got a party to crash, and I've got just the something planned to crash it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Deathloop was notably delayed by COVID, and I really like that letter they snuck in there. It works on so many levels.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What... Was Fia doing to Chuck, exactly...?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yunno, the interview with Frank mentioning how a musician's got everything you need makes me think of how the loop was 'intended' to work, and how it might have ended up being unsatisfying. There was a thing from Harriet to Fia where she expected Fia to grow unsatisfied with every work of art she made becoming undone every time the loop reset. Charlie's games (aside from stuff that was built prior to the loop like Condition Detachment and The Moxie) all have to rely on being purely social things, like his attempts at a faux-murder mystery or Among Us. Frank can remember every new song he writes, but without physical tapes/records to preserve any of it it'll have to survive on being performed solely live.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You could even argue that the only way the loop could have worked is the state it is now. Except for Colt and Julianna...

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Maybe they were banking on Wenjie's Infusion tech being able to keep bigger/more things around so eventually they could start doing things that were permanent and doing long-term projects once the short-term hedonism started to wear off. Certainly Wenjie and Egor would keep working hard at the things they wanted.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Samovar posted:

What... Was Fia doing to Chuck, exactly...?

As far as I could see, he was blinking in place with shift when he got stressed/upset, and Fia was using Havoc to kind of hold him in one spot while she made fun of him for his surgery. Again, apologies I didn't catch the full conversation/a better viewing angle, but we'll get another look to see if the whole thing paints Fia in a better light.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Episode 24!

:black101:

This one was just plain fun to record. I've been meaning to give berserker Colt a try, and what better time than when there's the biggest possible crowd? Props though to Egor for using science to defy gravity, I was not expecting that one.

Document!
- Sixty-Second Minute: Aleksis. This one highlights the most starkly, I think, just how much editing Julianna does for the distribution materials between the interviews and the PR page, doesn't it...

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Interesting so far.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I read something somewhere that said that original idea for Aleksis's party was going to be in Dishonored 2, but it was shelved until Deathloop because they didn't want to try and out-Lady Boyle Lady Boyle.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It's like Jason Voorhees on amphetamines.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Samovar posted:

It's like Jason Voorhees on amphetamines.

SOMEBODY poured a BangŠ energy drink in Crystal Lake and now ALL POSSIBLE TEENAGERS are going to regret their addictions to sex and drugs

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Bonus Episode!

We're taking a curated look at the Protect the Loop multiplayer side of things today! It's a fun little distraction to test your map knowledge and general sneakiness; as it should be Colt has the advantage of three lives to play with, at the tradeoff of Julianna having friendly NPCs and turrets. Starting out at low Hunter Rank is a bit rough just for want of options, but that changes up pretty quickly. All in all I dig it; it's a lot of fun and gives some cosmetic unlocks on the Colt side of things as well.

We won't be seeing them in the LP but the upgrades for Masquerade: Heal you on copying an NPC/Let you have up to 3 Masqueraded NPCs at once/Protect you from damage and let you shoot guns while disguised/automatically tag Colt if he kills a disguised NPC. Now those I could see being useful! Without upgrades it does feel like a waste of power, though, save fishing for that one achievement if you're into that sort of thing.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
One Final Bonus Episode!

While definitely not the last of the loose ends - there are a few I'll try to get in the actual Finale - this is a last couple of things that have been sticking out, and inevitably there will be a few more that we just don't wind up getting to. It's a very dense game, wonderful to discover, and all things considered I think we've done a pretty solid job poking around to see what twitches.

Documents
- Moist Note
- Damp Note
- More Than a Gun

We're close. One more update after this should wrap us up; I'll be beside myself with idle time on my update days, what a weird feeling. Still! Gotta get there first.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Knowing that Deathloop is set in the Dishonored universe makes a lot about the game's setting a lot more understandable. A lot of the characters have names that mix a lot of different nationalities, primarily continental European, in ways that would sound "off" for a real-world setting, and while the weapons look appropriate for a fantasy 1960s-1970s setting, all of them would look very out of place in the real world. The "Motherland" that established the Horizon project on Blackreef is probably Tyvia, the northernmost Slavic-themed island of the Empire of the Isles from Dishonored, though at this point it seems like the Empire itself is no longer a going concern.

However, it feels like Arkane hedged their bets with the setting. I think there's an interview somewhere where a dev describes Deathloop as being set in "a possible future" for the Dishonored universe. While there have been little winks and nods like the recording of "The Drunken Whaler" shanty or Julianna's antique (whale?) oil cartridge dueling pistols, none of the dialogue or documents have mentioned anything about any series mainstays like Dunwall, the Outsider, the Void, or the Abbey of the Everyman. It's been written in such a way that Deathloop could be spun off into its own setting should some hypothetical Dishonored 3 come along and set up a totally different future for the setting.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 4, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Look at a lot of the furniture assets; they are clearly derivatives of Dunwall interior design. When I first played through the game I kept going, 'I've seen that nightstand before' and 'are those jellied eels?'

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, it's a good subtle, linking between the two settings but... As was pointed out, they don't necessarily DO anything with it - they might as well be entirely separate.

I mean, Fia being very "spacy" and a painter fits in this universe, what with the witches in Dishonoured using paint as their magic medium.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 4, 2023

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Yeah; it's mentioned that the tenuous narrative link is the safe bet, but...I dunno, I think they already have the safety net in place with "a wizard anomaly did it".

Some folks have tried to work out where around Tyvia Blackreef might be on Dishonored's world map, but as Frank wrote to Charlie there it's in an area with thousands of islands, and in particular Blackreef is small enough that frail nerd Egor can walk it end to end and back in a single loop, so I personally doubt it would have showed up as a call-forward.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
After the Outsider was capped/released nothing was holding the Void together so a vortex opened above Blackreef. That was stated as the cause in an interview which I am trying to find right now.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Finale!

A last few achievements and some missed dialogue/approaches, and we dive into the ending properly. To anyone who played it prior to Goldenloop where they changed the ending, what's different? I'd heard some general grumbles that the end wasn't satisfying, but no specifics, so I'm curious now.

We do get to see a good little closer there to send us on our merry way, though no real closure for the world itself, nor Julianna. That weird sting/teaser at the end does raise a bit of an eyebrow, buuut...well, it was a fun enough gig, I do hope they come back around and do something with it again (though with Redfall and all that nonsense, who's to say what their prospects are looking like now, oof).

One nice thing in the ending was that we did get to see all the heroes assembled together in one shot:

That's right: Colt, Pick, 2-Bit, and the Gimp, together at last. I'd be happy with the four of them teaming up to fight/cause crime, tell you what!

And...most importantly, thanks everyone. This has been my first go at doing a video LP, so I appreciate that you stuck it out despite a few rookie mistakes and technical issues along the way. I had a drat fun time putting it all together, so I hope you've enjoyed it also. I'm leaning towards doing another here before too long; I've been considering Blacktail, a first-person archery and magic game about Baba Yaga's origin story, for instance, if that sounds up anyone's alley. That's something to fuss about later, though; for now I'll enjoy a bit of time with the recording/editing portion of my weekly schedule opened up, so I can revel in non-productivity for a bit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, finally caught up on the thread right in time for the ending!

Thanks for the LP, this was a great look into a fun little story. Seems there's a lot of questions unanswered, although I'm sure there's plenty to pick up between all the documents that isn't spelled out outright. Certainly, after the initial impression the game gives that the loop system failed and only Julianna and Colt manage to retain any memories from day to day, it finally dawns on you that it worked and the loss of memories is what happens after however many weeks or years or centuries it took to get tired of living out the same day forever, leaving everyone in their own little hell without even knowing it.

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
Thanks for the LP, I definitely enjoyed it. You found lots of interesting things that I missed on my play through.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, that cutscene certainly makes the true ending much more satisfying. That wasn't in the original game at all, you just got the first few seconds of Colt waking up on the beach with weird clouds.

I guess the ominous ending does further hint that Julianna's theory about human civilization ending or changing radically while the loop was running was accurate.

Tenebrais posted:

Certainly, after the initial impression the game gives that the loop system failed and only Julianna and Colt manage to retain any memories from day to day, it finally dawns on you that it worked and the loss of memories is what happens after however many weeks or years or centuries it took to get tired of living out the same day forever, leaving everyone in their own little hell without even knowing it.
Wait, where does it say this? I just thought Colt was special because he'd been through the anomaly once before, and Julianna because she's his daughter from after that.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 6, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CapitanGarlic posted:

To anyone who played it prior to Goldenloop where they changed the ending, what's different?
Before, Colt woke up on the beach as usual and there either was or wasn't Julianna. You got slightly different dialogue depending on what you chose but no indication if the loop was or wasn't broken.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

Wait, where does it say this? I just thought Colt was special because he'd been through the anomaly once before, and Julianna because she's his daughter from after that.

This document:

CapitanGarlic posted:

- Possible Side Effects

on top of Julianna toward the end talking about losing memories because they get bored.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Look at a lot of the furniture assets; they are clearly derivatives of Dunwall interior design. When I first played through the game I kept going, 'I've seen that nightstand before' and 'are those jellied eels?'

And most importantly, there was a never-ending urge to gather for whiskey and cigars.

CapitanGarlic, compliments on a well-executed LP! For being new to the game, you managed to show off a huge amount, and I salute your ability to find the fun in the toybox. I also really enjoyd your commentary and pacing. Hope to catch your next LP as well.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Thats an interesting ending, I have to wonder what the rest of the world or universe, or whatever's left of it, or rather from their perspective maybe they were thrown somewhere else. Juliana seemed to still be able to go back to the loop and has terminated her presence in this ended timeloop.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Thanks for the kind words, everyone! A couple comments and thoughts I had since finishing.

Sundowning is interesting; many of the effects of it were stated to be experienced by the folks in Horizon who were living still in linear/normal time, just nearby the anomaly - the hallucinations and bits of memory loss, at least.

Really, though, I do think 2Bit is the best exploration of the effects of it, and well done in the game - sure, he's a zany video game management automaton, but he's a human brain backed up with computer storage and parts, too. I think the impression is initially meant to be given that he deletes portions of loops (up to 80%, he said) on Charlie's orders, as a way of showing that Charlie is abusive and controlling towards him. But, like...no human brain is meant to retain trauma to an extended effect, and just saying "it won't hurt you" does, uh, not have a great track record in treating post-trauma. Beyond just the induced effects of the anomaly, there comes a point where the brain would surely start dumping things on its own for self preservation, only 2Bit has to do that manually from his tapes/hard drive to try and manage himself. What a sad little buddy; I'm so glad we got him some wheels.

My question to the ending cutscene, though - how did everyone know that the loop was broken? What portion of their memories returned or were retained? Was it instinct (the sky is a different color, and my passive observation is so used to grey blue skies in the morning that the shock of orange and red kicks me back in gear)? If they didn't get that all back, surely they'd go about their days as normal, but it's a revelation to everyone. Not that I want him to feel better, but why was Aleksis crying the most?

And..did the sea level change? It looks the same on the beach where Colt wakes up, but at the end when the broadcast fades out, it looks like they're venturing boldly into a broken, barren landscape we haven't seen before.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Julianna tells you that the loop has been going on for approximately a century and a half. The anomaly has an effect outside Blackreef and is assumed to be absolutely horrific each day loop so that a lot of abuse to the surrounding area.

Also...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It was a good LP, Cap. Well done! I look forward to your next endeavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Sindai posted:

Wow, that cutscene certainly makes the true ending much more satisfying. That wasn't in the original game at all, you just got the first few seconds of Colt waking up on the beach with weird clouds.

Thank you for this. I honestly thought something was wrong with me. I finished the game and didn't recall seeing any of that!

Also great job! So many things I missed. Will play it again.