Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Put on a dumb Netflix show because I wanted something in the background while I worked. Turns out this show is actually good and cool and makes for compelling television even if you (like me) know nothing about Korean MMA or weightlifting.

Here's the plot: 97 huge Koreans and a few weird Westerners are brought into a room, each having a cast of their physique on a pedestal. Some of these guys and ladies are famous, usually bodybuilders, MMA fighters, weightlifters, or youtube stars. Some know each other because they compete in the same circle as National Wrestlers, some are famous because they're super deadly assassin men, and some are just people who do things like work in mountain rescue outfits or sell cars for a living. They're all competing for 300 MILLION won (which is about 250k), claimed by destroying their enemies in trials of physical prowess.

The game functions much like Squidgame, where a certain number of contestants are eliminated in a series of tasks. However, not all tasks result in elimination. Each task is incredibly physically grueling, but raw strength is only part of the test. For example, if you have a huge beefcake hang off a steel girder, he's probably going to lose quickly to the 100 lb female professional dancer.

When they lose they have to smash their torso casts with a hammer, which may or may not cause them to have a brief introspection towards their own body dysmorphia.

MEET SOME CONTESTANTS

This is the protagonist. He's old and classy and embodies grandpa wholesomeness while still being able to gently caress up MMA fighters half his age.

This is Agent H. He's Korean special forces guy but also very nice.

Some of them are models.

Some of them are couples.

Some of them are professional boxers who have never lost a fight.

The funny thing about this show is that it still works as an unscripted reality television series, because there's a healthy mix of influencer arrogance, stoic Korean long-suffering, and weird people who think acting like a hybrid zombie-animal man is an effective tactic to wrestle someone twice your size. First season finale drops next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Definitely enjoying this show, thanks for the thread!

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I want to push the rock.

I do not want to run in the circle.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I thought I'd want to push the rock. I no longer want to push the rock.

I will volunteer to lose at flame grabbing.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I was not nearly as rooting for my country's team in the World Cup as I was for Jang Eun-Sil's team in the boat challenge.

For a show about physical challenges it's good there is some room for mind games and smart plays. Looking like something is easy for you even though you might be dying inside regularly caused others to give up.

Finals prediction:

Yung Sun-Bin is not in the final five despite probably being the greatest athlete in the show. In every field there is someone better to beat him.
The strongman is bigger and will outlast him in the Atlas challenge
For the torch challenge he is not nimble enough to get over the fence quickest
Mountain Rescue guy's technique on the rope is too good to beat no matter how strong you are
Running challenge has others with more stamina
And the Sysiphus boulder trial is better suited to the cyclist with massive leg strength and endurance

If each contestant had to do each challenge and score points he would win by being pretty good at every one of them. But not the best in any.

Also everyone is so nice and respectful.

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 18, 2023

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I want mountain rescue guy to win, he is amazing.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

CeeJee posted:

I was not nearly a rooting for my country's team in the World Cup as I was for Jang Eun-Sil's team in the boat challenge.

God I loved that team. It was so heart breaking to see them get knocked out after that. The female bodybuilder on her team was awesome too, and seeing those two alone together when forming teams was T R U E F R I E N D S H I P. Beating their opponents in the sand carrying challenge made this show go from good to great.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

This show is amazing quality TV, and also watching people be respectful to sexyama is very endearing.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
It shouldn't be as good as it is, but it do.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah can't explain why this works so well but it's good

edit: I'm here for the youtube fitness influencer who's like 100lbs soaking wet and not ripped at all but is clearly incredibly strong judging by her survivor performances

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 20, 2023

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't stand the reality show editing where they show the same clip and sounds over and over again.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I wonder how much was actually unscripted like when they were bored of the official challenges that they started stacking mats and jumping up them

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Finals are out!

In the end it was not the biggest, most famous or most shredded one to win but the snowboarder/crossfitter Woo Jin-Yong who did not feature prominently in the show so far.
With the format of the elimination rounds he was perfectly positioned as being not the worst in any category and ending up in a final match that favoured him slightly in upper body strength over the cyclist.

The order of the final matches was a huge influence, I would rather have seen more different formats (balance was mentioned but not really tested) and people eliminated after ending last in two rounds.
But no matter what, you could get unlucky to have the round you would be best in not come up until you're eliminated.

In general, it was hugely entertaining and compelling due to the lack of distractions from the contestants and how great they all were. No annoncers beyond The Voice and apart from one or two people in the hanging and ball chases you don't see anyone but them.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I'm at work tonight and am holding off watching the finals until tomorrow.

P H Y S I C A L 1 0 0

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Surprised who won. The rope pull looked hard af and was a great final task. The end as a whole though felt a little anticlimactic.

Should've been AND OH MY GOD IT'S SEXYSAMA FROM OUT OF NOWHERE WITH A STEEL CHAIR, but nothing's perfect.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was rooting for the mountain rescue guy, but he didn't stand a chance in that tug-of-war. Good on the person that won, although it was a little surprising.

Also, I wonder why some of the final 25 competitors were not present as they watch the final 5, like Sexyama just noped out? I guess it was filmed on a different date, and there were scheduling conflicts.

Really enjoyed the show, though, once I got past the weird editing. More please!!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I noticed some of them didn't stick around. Filming the finale a few days later is only fair because rolling that boulder up the hill looked devastatingly exhausting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching it on Netflix, with Korean audio do you get both the subtrack of the dialogue and the on screen stuff translated, ie the pop ups with their name/group?

The dub is unbearable, I’m curious if anyone watched it like that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Watching it on Netflix, with Korean audio do you get both the subtrack of the dialogue and the on screen stuff translated, ie the pop ups with their name/group?

The dub is unbearable, I’m curious if anyone watched it like that.

What I watched had subs for everything except some of the Korean on-screen.

Good show. I could do without the way its been edited. It was a pretty solid final group though, as noted, the order they do the games can sway it in pretty major ways. NIPPERT just had the look of a guy you knew wasn't going to make it to the end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I went back to source and confirmed Netflix can’t display everything at once. I’ve been working on my own subs just for fun, as I’m bored I guess.

Top pic is Netflix regular English, bottom is my combined file of Regular and the second sub track that has all the on screen stuff. Hand edited for duplicate removal and styling.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Season 2 dropped the first 4 episodes today.

No real stand outs from episode 1 for me yet although I am rooting for the arborist as it's such an unexpected job to come from but you have to be pretty fit to climb trees all day.

The one returning season 1 contestant, the firefighter, is interesting. He'd have gone really far if he had not been so dumb to choose to grapple for the ball against a giant in round 1

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never quite finished re-subbing season 1, it just felt I was too late and most had watched by then. Fingers crossed it’s a better job this year, but I doubt it.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I like Dong Hyun Kim more than Akiyama as celeb mma participant.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

donghyun rules because he's got variety experience and is super charismatic, he's incredible on The Great Escape

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
New season has been good so far. I liked how the different teams approached the maze challenge.

Dong Hyun is hilarious, because he has his tough guy MMA career. Then you have him be a big goof in all his variety appearances, then you go back to this type of competition where he has to be all respectable again. I guess he's good at fitting the situation.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Watched the first 1.25 episodes of season 2. The most annoying thing in this series is there's a cliffhanger at the end of every episode, so you have to watch an extra 15 minutes of the next one. So far it's been okay. Watching people run for 20 minutes on a treadmill wasn't as interesting as seeing them hang from the rafters for a first task, but there's a lot of Physical 100 left.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I miss the season 1 challenges. The mine wasn't bad, but the maze was so tedious to watch all the teams go through that it kinda hurt the mine too - as they started stacking sand bags again.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
The pillars were cool tho

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
This season feels like it's way more focused on strength over any other attribute compared to season 1 where agility and teamwork played more of a role.
Maybe there was a big team strategy part in the maze but it was very hard to see what was going on compared to the clean visuals of S1's two teams crossing a bridge.

I did like the twist of having the winner out of all the eliminated players choose a team which would instantly be a threat to the rest

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Definitively a worthy winner this year, but the season overall felt weaker. The sets were bigger and fancier, but there wasn't a big team task like the boat from the first season. The stretched out editing with lots of repeats felt tiresome, and the whole season could probably be two hours shorter without losing anything. The maze was just a bore to watch, the mine task and rollers were okayish. The finale tasks, and especially the last one were more exciting, and a nice change from last years.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Did they take the ending in season 2 like season 1? I enjoyed s1 but then I read the behind the scenes shenanigans and it left a bad taste in my mouth. We started season 2 but it looks like the woman from Singles Inferno get eliminated fairly early so that was depressing

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It seemed like the finale in S2 had a lot less opportunity for behind the scenes manipulation. It felt a lot more like the production had a decision tree on how to proceed depending on the outcome of the quests earlier in the season, like the earlier described twist which looked designed to fit only certain contestants.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Decent season, believe I prefer the first as well. So at this point, do they have their answer? How many seasons will it take before CrossFit maniacs are the select as the best physique? lol

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Teek posted:

Decent season, believe I prefer the first as well. So at this point, do they have their answer? How many seasons will it take before CrossFit maniacs are the select as the best physique? lol

Yeah, there is only so much entertainment you can milk out of powerlifters gassing after doing a thing for longer than 90 seconds.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'm bummed that the MMA fighter who challenged the FBI guy got eliminated in the team challenge.

And yeah, this season seemed even more focused on just having power than the previous one.

The finale seemed much better designed than the last one though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Only got a lovely tiktok of it but this teaser for s3 makes me think they're expanding to asia in general next season

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeukCDAU/