Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Problem description: I recently built a new PC, and have had a host of issues along the way but this is the one currently affecting me. From what I've glanced at for other threads I'm guessing these aren't the most reliable but from my BIOS and some hardware monitoring software I'm seeing that once any sort of load gets started up (launching a game) my CPU temp cranks up from mid 40s-low 50s straight up to 80-82 °C, holds there for a bit, then my computer kills itself to prevent anything from taking damage. Temps for all other components has been pretty stable at/slightly above room temp. Get BSODs even running basic rear end RPGMaker games.

Attempted fixes: I was originally using my old CPU air cooler from my old rig but I swapped it for a replacement air cooler - same model. Fully cleaned off the CPU with IPA & let dry, applied (probably more than enough) thermal paste & cinched down as tight as possible to prevent air bubbles from forming. At this point since it has continued to happen with not much change I'm not too sure if the air cooling system is capable of doing the job so I've ordered a liquid cooling system, should arrive in about a week. I'm hoping that the issue is that I just am unable to effectively cool the CPU with my current hardware. I'm not doing any overclocking or anything of the sort with the equipment.

Recent changes: All new components, original PSU was faulty & had to replace but not relevant.

--

Operating system: e.g. Windows 10 Home x64.

System specs:
  • Motherboard: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • GPU: GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
  • RAM: 32GB
  • PSU: CORSAIR RM1000e - 1000W
  • HDD: SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 1TB SSD
  • CPU Fan: AMD Wraith Stealth Socket AM4

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes in that I've looked at the stickied thread, unsure of what FAQ is being referenced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, it looks like that Wraith Stealth cooler you have is for Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 CPUs.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Zogo posted:

Yeah, it looks like that Wraith Stealth cooler you have is for Ryzen 3 and Ryzen 5 CPUs.

:doh:

Luckily enough the cooler I've ordered as a replacement appears to be appropriate for the CPU, I'll update once it arrives and have tested it out.

Thanks!

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Well the cooler system arrived a lot earlier than I figured and I'd say my cpu is staying at a lot more of a solid temperature now.

Unfortunately I'm still getting crashes and by paying attention to what fans were going crazy I think it's my video card.

For my latest test I was running something moderately GPU intensive and it was performing fine up until my displays went black and the video card fans went nuts at 100% speed. I do have the latest display drivers installed but I'm wondering if this might be a problem caused by the GPU - MB interface not being super great? This is one of the heaviest components in the PC and I do have a provided stand with it to brace it up but it still feels a little wobbly to me.

Anyway, not trying to lead the troubleshooting along my most likely ignorant observations, I'd say getting an appropriate CPU cooler was definitely beneficial so thank you for that Zogo.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure Windows is fully updated.

You could try reseating the GPU if you haven't already.

Since it's a new machine you may want to update to the latest motherboard BIOS.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Zogo posted:

Make sure Windows is fully updated.

You could try reseating the GPU if you haven't already.

Since it's a new machine you may want to update to the latest motherboard BIOS.

Windows is up to date, reseated the GPU. I had forgotten about the BIOS for the motherboard, I blame not getting a CD/DVD!

Unfortunately no change, still get about a minute or two of normal activity before displays go dark and the GPU fans go crazy. :(

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hopefully the faulty PSU didn't damage anything.

What is the exact RAM? Sometimes incompatible RAM can cause BSODs etc.

You could run https://www.memtest.org/ and https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php to check RAM and SSD health. If both of those are okay then you may get to the point of trying another GPU.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Zogo posted:

Hopefully the faulty PSU didn't damage anything.

What is the exact RAM? Sometimes incompatible RAM can cause BSODs etc.

You could run https://www.memtest.org/ and https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php to check RAM and SSD health. If both of those are okay then you may get to the point of trying another GPU.

SSD health came back green, I have formatted a USB for the memtest but didn't see it as an option in my boot menu - I'll try again.

RAM - https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232091?Item=N82E16820232091

I think before I really get to replacing a 900buck piece of equipment I try absolutely everything I can first. I can forsee a lot of hassle from newegg since it's taken me so long to get to this stage as I have to travel a lot for my job and replacing the PSU set me back by like three weeks. Would I not get any help from MSI troubleshooting after getting past the "yes I tried turning it off and on again" questions?

Edit: whoops forgot to mention. I currently have my RAM set in parallel as recommended by the mobo manufacturer, in slots 2 & 4.

Edit#2: memtest came back green as well.

Pelican Dunderhead fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 20, 2023

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, that RAM should work with that motherboard.

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

I think before I really get to replacing a 900buck piece of equipment I try absolutely everything I can first. I can forsee a lot of hassle from newegg since it's taken me so long to get to this stage as I have to travel a lot for my job and replacing the PSU set me back by like three weeks. Would I not get any help from MSI troubleshooting after getting past the "yes I tried turning it off and on again" questions?

The ideal scenario would be to try an older/cheaper GPU but you may not have one.

IDK how those companies are to deal with lately. You could probably ask in the GPU or PC building megathreads if no one reading here knows.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Zogo posted:

Yeah, that RAM should work with that motherboard.

The ideal scenario would be to try an older/cheaper GPU but you may not have one.

IDK how those companies are to deal with lately. You could probably ask in the GPU or PC building megathreads if no one reading here knows.

I'll give the GPU swap a shot, I do have one from my older PC, a 770 I think. That'll have to wait till Thursday though, gotta fly out to Michigan for some dumbass internal training that I could do remotely.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Well the training went disasterishly when they wouldn't let me protect my health so I just dipped day of. Here's a status update, I'm fairly certain it's the GPU now (lol).

I tried changing which MB slot the GPU was plugged in to, no change. Next and what has given me success is I socketed in my old GPU and while that's cooking at a pretty high temp seems to be stable with 30+ mins so far of zero crashing. I've got an open support ticket with MSI and they've suggested if it is the card to look into a warranty request for the card. So we'll see how that goes and how long it'll take ugh.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
ONE MONTH

I RMA'd my GPU with the manufacturer and it finally came back, appears to be resolved - ran for 40mins with no hiccups so I think I'm finally good.

Thanks for all the help Zogo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

ONE MONTH

I RMA'd my GPU with the manufacturer and it finally came back, appears to be resolved - ran for 40mins with no hiccups so I think I'm finally good.

Thanks for all the help Zogo!

:hfive: