Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

some_admin posted:

We also went to an annual 3 day event for families with a particular interest (i can’t identify it further, sorry), it went very very well (75-80 similar families) and being open and engaging and forcing myself out of my shell was a liberating experience as it always is.
Nudist naturist, huh?

quote:

Staying busy is definitely a key, being emphatic with my speech and emphatic with my listening is helping with communications.
Going to make an appt for hearing aid probably, I think 30-40% of my conversations with my wife now include “what?” at some point.
I realized that doomscrolling was not helping my attitude, so I’m not reading the biosphere collapse, trump, Ukraine war, BWM, or anything much lately. Helps. Also, when driving I quit listening to the news. Just classical music now, Disney music when kid in the car.

Thanks all of you for reading and commenting .

My boss has similarly bad tinnitus and says his hearing aids help, at least some.

I think tinnitus should be given the same kind of consideration as chronic pain. If you're dealing with depression, anxiety, isolation, whatever, it's going to make navigating those challenges worse. So any of the exacerbaters of the core issue you can remove (the trump lol thread, news) make dealing with those other modifiers you can't fix quite as easily (tinnitus, hearing loss) easier. Healthy diversions are good for me. I'm back in the mode of working in my very quiet garage on any of 15 different projects in the evening with music quietly playing rather than reading SA and low key freaking out about this lovely world. A structured exercise regime helps too, because it takes concentration and fills a few evenings a week.

How much are you talking to your therapist about the hearing issues? I haven't mentioned them to mine at all, maybe I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Louisgod made a pretty good tinnitus support group in E/N: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4033474

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
This looks promising:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-tinnitus-therapy-can-quiet-torturous-ringing-in-the-ears/

Also hello fellow Tinnitus sufferers, I've been a lot more proactive with hearing protection over the past several years in hopes of not making it worse.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 13, 2023