Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Bret Easton Ellis, creator of the patriarchal saint of 14 year olds and sigma males, Patrick Bateman, has long grounded himself a writer detailing what it's like to be young, apathetic and constantly horned up, pulling from his own personal life and weaving it into the narratives of his fictional creations. Which sometimes can make for either good reading or uncomfortable reading, depending on how much of a sociopath you are.

Right now, we're about 175 pages in on his latest novel, The Shards, which we guess is good, but it reads too much like Bret using his profession as an established author to write out his sexual fantasies about old classmates (which could make for an awkward realization for them if they were to ever read the book and realized Bret was talking about gay sex with them). Like, very detailed sexual fantasies (like talking about his friend's "pink butthole" and how his hot girlfriend "deepthroated" his penis) where we felt it took us out of the story. Coupling this with another part of the plot involving a serial killer, the novel feels, at times, like two different narratives being told at once that slowly weaves into one. This is an interesting take, but we're not that far along enough to see if it comes to that, but all signs point that it probably will. Yet it falls in line with his other work, showcasing the rich and almost no-consequence lifestyle that his characters exist in. Perhaps this is best displayed in the pages of his debut work, Less Than Zero, where there's a casual child rape scene that really doesn't seem to bother any of the characters, who are more apt to flip out over not finding cocaine or meth before realizing that one of their friends is a human trafficking pedophile. Kinda makes you wonder why Bret chose to write about that in the first place.

Cocaine, too, might as well be the reoccurring central character in Ellis' work, since it's one in his own life too, as evidenced when he accidentally Tweeted his dealer to bring some over to his place back in 2012.

Then there's American Psycho, but we'll leave it to an autistic incel to write a manifesto about breaking that one down.

Regardless, the man has written some entertaining literature, but it's probably not for everyone, especially if you care about the well-being of your fellow mxn and don't live in L.A. or NYC. Or if you're homophobic, as Bret loves talking about gay gently caress sex and white briefs. To the point where, in his 1987 novel The Rules of Attraction, one of the characters found it strange that the other preferred boxers over briefs. For some reason, out of that entire novel, that particular dialogue exchange is what we remember from it. Why was it a rule in the 80s that men had to wear briefs? Not in our household.

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
My major Ellis story is that when I was in high school my English teacher let us pick any book we wanted to write a report on, and me and a buddy of mine thought we were real clever and subversive for picking American Psycho having only seen the movie. Little did we know we’d encounter interminable passages methodically describing torture and vivisection and entire chapters of amateur music analysis of Huey Lewis and the News. Finishing the book became a huge chore.

Still enjoy it on a meta level, as a view into this extremely deranged and banal human being, but the adaptation probably surpasses the book by saving the reader all that work.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
American Psycho sort of started the trend where dummies went "actually the protagonist is a really cool guy", so around 2014 you saw lots of Patrick Bateman avatars explaining people how it is actually about ethics in game journalism.

Glamorama is actually funnier than American Psycho, but no one seems to talk about it because the protagonist is explicitly a himbo doofus.

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Mike N Eich posted:

…entire chapters of amateur music analysis of Huey Lewis and the News. Finishing the book became a huge chore.

Which honestly makes us wonder if Bateman and/or Ellis is super autistic. Bateman in particular showcases the more popular trait of the autistic spectrum, being a “little professor”, wherein he goes on a spiral about one topic that he’s hyper-focused on. But, again, is that the character playing by the rules and understanding of its author creator, or is Ellis a sperg?

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash
Probably the biggest disparity between how I feel about the art and how I feel about the artist. Less than Zero, Rules of Attraction and American Psycho are an insane run of books. Somehow, those are the only ones I have read. Which should I do next? Glamorama?

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
I listened to American Psycho as an audiobook earlier this year (thank you Covid for leaving me unable to concentrate of written prose!) and oh boy… the narrator is excellent at capturing a disaffected, moneyed attitude that made those torture scenes way too visceral trickling into my ears.

On the other hand Bateman’s repeated reverential namedropping of Trump was hilarious in a post-2016 world.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

81sidewinder posted:

Probably the biggest disparity between how I feel about the art and how I feel about the artist. Less than Zero, Rules of Attraction and American Psycho are an insane run of books. Somehow, those are the only ones I have read. Which should I do next? Glamorama?

Lunar Park. Elements of pseudo-horror and a mild meditation re: "the consequences of being the author that wrote American Psycho." I listened to Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet" many many times before I read the book, not knowing the works had a relationship, so the general emotional beats were already telegraphed for me. Still enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

81sidewinder posted:

Candace Bushnell's Sex & The City.

I am 100% serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

81sidewinder posted:

Lunar Park

Glamorama sucks

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.