Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well, I'll say this much about the game - the Union Jack was ACCURATELY depicted, re. the very small red lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

To the composer, don't think I didn't notice that the music was made by you leaning on the keyboard a single key at a time and alternating every two seconds.

You're a disgrace to the British empire.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm honestly starting to feel like I'll be disappointed if there isn't a twist near the end where Mossop betrays Fanshawe for being an utter rear end towards him all game. :v:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Samovar posted:

Well, I'll say this much about the game - the Union Jack was ACCURATELY depicted, re. the very small red lines.

Isn't that how it's usually depicted?

By popular demand posted:

To the composer, don't think I didn't notice that the music was made by you leaning on the keyboard a single key at a time and alternating every two seconds.

You're a disgrace to the British empire.

This game is a disgrace to the British empire! It still has a chance to redeem itself as we're off to find a lost island to steal for the crown.

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm honestly starting to feel like I'll be disappointed if there isn't a twist near the end where Mossop betrays Fanshawe for being an utter rear end towards him all game. :v:

I'm starting to root for a scenario where there's been a cock-up somewhere along the lines and Mossop is the rightful owner of Fanshawe's estate.

I finished a test run for the next several minutes ago. We're barrelling towards the end of the game at quite a pace now and it really will be over after the next couple of videos. The next stage of the game introduces another fallacy that isn't too uncommon with adventure games, something to look forward too!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Isn't that how it's usually depicted?

I would say most representations of the flag don't have the correct orientation of small red lines on the X - this game does.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this video, Fanshawe and Mossop are on the hunt for Atlantis but they end up finding the greatest treasure of all, new friends. This was a bit of a weird one as I waffled far too much throughout and that was partly to fill dead air, I'm not a good waffler so I had to restart one recording and re-record another section. So you get to hear my awkward rambling fairly often throughout and at one point I bang on unnecessarily about a traditionally British sweet\candy. :suicide:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I grew up on MPFC and other British comedy programmes so while I'm no longer an anglophile (politics almost or as bad as I got here in Israel) I still have a lot of fondness to British traditions and stuff.
As such my vote is for more awkward rambling about British sweets.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I wonder where that very distasteful stereotype of people being boiled up in a pot came from?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand posted:

I grew up on MPFC and other British comedy programmes so while I'm no longer an anglophile (politics almost or as bad as I got here in Israel) I still have a lot of fondness to British traditions and stuff.
As such my vote is for more awkward rambling about British sweets.

I might do in the next episode. I've started to crave Edinburgh rock after posting this update, which is an entirely different sweet.

Samovar posted:

I wonder where that very distasteful stereotype of people being boiled up in a pot came from?

I was trying not to dwell on it too much for those reasons. They are cooking Mossop for dinner but they have very carefully left out who he is going to be dinner for.

Edit: The solution for releasing him makes absolutely no sense at all!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 14, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I appreciate that they at least made the native chieftain sound like a reasonably educated normal person, rather than doing some insanely distasteful stereotype in how he talked or made him seem less intelligent.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of The Gene Machine, enjoy!

This was fun to play through again and I'm glad that people suggested doing so. Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this short LP. I'm preparing to play Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders next and I'm going to try to make it a hybrid VLP\SSLP. I did attempt to do an SSLP of it about eight years ago but I abandoned it early as I wasn't really in the frame of mind for the time and preparation at the time. If it all goes well I may also LP a well-known fanmade sequel as well.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 16, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, that wasn't a lot of screentime for the game's villain(s).

Thanks for the LP!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well... It picked up a bit, but this game did suffer from the passage of time, and I don't just mean re. software limitations.

Nevertheless, thanks for the LP!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Huh, that wasn't a lot of screentime for the game's villain(s).

Thanks for the LP!

I forgot that there even was a person called Dinsey until I actually walked into the room.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Well... It picked up a bit, but this game did suffer from the passage of time, and I don't just mean re. software limitations.

Nevertheless, thanks for the LP!

For a British company in the 90s it wasn't too bad compared to others that I've played. The colonialism and imperialism where noted but downplayed and even poked fun of at times. The big stereotype of the indigenous people was thrown on it's head thankfully. The game is certainly dated and in places it hasn't aged well but it could be a lot worse for its time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Although the only people of colour that I saw in the game were the indigenous people.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I am honestly surprised that Dinsey doesn't make things like intelligent mice or talking ducks.

Still, a lot more enjoyable watch than I was expecting at the start, mostly thanks to the game's dedication to making GBS threads on Fanshawe who I still maintain is extremely unpleasant even for an adventure game protagonist.

The cutscenes still look like they're made in MSPaint.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 16, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I am honestly surprised that Dinsey doesn't make things like intelligent mice or talking ducks.

Still, a lot more enjoyable watch than I was expecting at the start, mostly thanks to the game's dedication to making GBS threads on Fanshawe who I still maintain is extremely unpleasant even for an adventure game protagonist.

Would you rate him as more or less awful than the Mystery of the Druids protagonist? At least Fanshawe didn't poison any homeless people.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, that is a fair question. I was certainly rooting for the druids in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Pity I hate anime, I've a distinct feeling there's plenty of VN protagonists who are worse than I can imagine.