Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

my understanding is that for a long time snk drew their pixel art with a joystick, like, on the actual arcade machine. this pic isn't snk's thing, it's taito's but i think it drives home the what-the-gently caress-ness of it all:

there's a story of one guy who heard these stories when he got hired at snk, went "bullshit" and his boss responded by using a joystick to draw a KOF sprite in 15 minutes.

that's hard to consider especially considering how loving ridiculous all of snk's pixel art is, especially the animation in the metal slug games

there are a lot of other developers who have done great pixel art but i don't think any of them have reached the point of "driven to bankruptcy twice by it" like snk has

please post very good dot graphics because i love them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
also i think the shin megami tensei demon designer guy, kaneko i think, would skip concept art back in the snes days. he'd just draw stuff directly as pixel art into the computer and then do the paper drawings after the fact so they'd have something to stick in the strategy guide, which rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

The Kins posted:

also i think the shin megami tensei demon designer guy, kaneko i think, would skip concept art back in the snes days. he'd just draw stuff directly as pixel art into the computer and then do the paper drawings after the fact so they'd have something to stick in the strategy guide, which rules

that pwns, kaneko ftw

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

PC-98 era pixel art is really good OP

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

my understanding is that for a long time snk drew their pixel art with a joystick, like, on the actual arcade machine. this pic isn't snk's thing, it's taito's but i think it drives home the what-the-gently caress-ness of it all:

there's a story of one guy who heard these stories when he got hired at snk, went "bullshit" and his boss responded by using a joystick to draw a KOF sprite in 15 minutes.

that's hard to consider especially considering how loving ridiculous all of snk's pixel art is, especially the animation in the metal slug games

there are a lot of other developers who have done great pixel art but i don't think any of them have reached the point of "driven to bankruptcy twice by it" like snk has

please post very good dot graphics because i love them

I remember seeing a picture of the pixel-art joystick that SNK used but I've never been able to find it again, it looked like that but was like 4x as big and was like a 12x12 matrix of buttons

Alaois fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 22, 2023

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tmfc posted:

how did artists even plan this poo poo out back in the day when they had to like, juggle 16 colour palettes and stuff? utter madness.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

tmfc posted:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
All the stuff in here is gorgeous but for me it's gotta be Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Spiral's sprite from MVC2 was just Capcom's animators flexing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

We need to go back...

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

This is how at least the first 151 Pokémon were done too, when you see all the kind of weird sprites from Red/Blue that don’t look like any later depictions of the same Pokémon it’s not because the sprite was a wonky interpretation of Sugimori’s art, it’s because Sugimori made some changes when interpreting the sprites into traditional art.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Alaois posted:

Spiral's sprite from MVC2 was just Capcom's animators flexing

i think they did a lot of their animation on paper as traditional animation before scanning it in, as the ultimate flex. the archipel documentary on AKIMAN has a couple of peeks at the original drawings

anyway here's something from the west - the end of the shareware episode of tyrian. i think they had to put together a special version without this pic because it traumatized too many kids, lol

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

KoF has the best sprites in gaming

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

tmfc posted:

This

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kongming posted:

KoF has the best sprites in gaming

I love every hosed up idle stance Vice has ever had

copy
Jul 26, 2007

sick

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I want to post sprites from Hard Corps Uprising but I can't find any

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Pungry posted:

All the stuff in here is gorgeous but for me it's gotta be Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Monolith has some good art and some good gameplay
https://twitter.com/i/status/1571203809367433216

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'll give you one guess OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

absolutely mesmerizing