Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There are multiple types of Food in video games.

There is

Functional Food!

This is the Classic Video Game Food and is nothing to write home about. But sometimes simple has its place! When you have been on holiday for example anmd eating rich and merry you may if you are like me sometimes feel the urge to come home and enjoy a simple salad or vegetable while your heartburn goes oooh throb throb you're going to die soon lmao.

That's what Functional Food is for and who are we to dismiss it casually.

In science fiction games the Functional Food is usually some kind of gay paste, "astronaut food" or something like that. This is convenient because the developer can just take a rectangle and put a word on it. A classic example is soy from Deus Ex (JC Denton is a loving Cuck for enjoying soy lol!)

In fantasy games iit is usually gruel, bowl of grey, or something like that. In older JRPGs this genre and type of food is most likely to be the classic "blobs on plate" which is not without its charm.

In modern games it will probably be crisps or "chips" for similar reasons to the blocks of gay paste mentioned above. Perhaps these will have a funny name if you're lucky but equally likely they will be called Chip or a tepid "pun" on Lays, Walkers, etc.Here they are called Phat Chips because that's how middle aged Scottish peverts believe black people spell things I think.

Magical Food
This genre does not count. They are fun to see but that's because they do special things for the player, but they are not real food. This is one of them. This isn't the sort of thing mushrooms actually do, but we love to see him nonetheless. Maybe not this one.

Lavish Food
Now we're talking. These ddelicious dishes speak for themselves. I wish I could scratch and sniff my loving monitor. I want to loving scratch and sniff.

Funny Food, Meme Food Etc
They may not quench your hunger (sate your hunger) but these meals will fill your belly with something even more precious - lols! My two favourites are the sweetrolls from Skyrim because they make me think of "did somebody steal that sweetroll!" and they look a bit like someone has cummed in them. Maybe they have. That Sheogorath is an unpredictable fellow!

And needless to say...

Drinks
Not food and I'll stop the thread there because I am going for dinner... the "food" of the real world. There are children starving who will not have any of this today, but we here in Imp zone can enjhoy both video game food and real food - perhaps both at once :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
What about drinks?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

What about drinks?

I have addressed drinks.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Sorry, I didn’t read the OP. Apologies.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Morrowind has a cool functional food called scuttle. It's basically insect pemmican, a bunch of bug protein mashed into a lump described as having a texture similar to cheese.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

brb ordering steak

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Morrowind has a cool functional food called scuttle. It's basically insect pemmican, a bunch of bug protein mashed into a lump described as having a texture similar to cheese.

I thought about posting some Morrowind food but its mostly crushed insects, which is a bit gross and would have made my OP seem like it needed a wash. I will however take the opportunity to promote the muffins from Muffinwind.. . But beware that the food does not bite YOU!!! :D

copy
Jul 26, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

morrowind for the morrowin :xd::xd::xd:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I thought about posting some Morrowind food but its mostly crushed insects, which is a bit gross and would have made my OP seem like it needed a wash. I will however take the opportunity to promote the muffins from Muffinwind.. . But beware that the food does not bite YOU!!! :D

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

well my favorite type of food is Functional Food because I can Eat the food and my character might make a satisfied sigh

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

well my favorite type of food is Functional Food because I can Eat the food and my character might make a satisfied sigh

That's a good point actually (actuality), the noises characters make when they eat are always an exciting aspect of video game food. From the always enjoyable satisfied sigh to the generally inadvisable grossly chewing and slobbering the mic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also special shout out to Vanillaware Food.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

the GOAT

goat food is another kind of video game food. goat cheese, goat milk, the list goes on

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yooo

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

the GOAT

goat food is another kind of video game food. goat cheese, goat milk, the list goes on

Hell, in some games, you can eat the goat itself.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHuJ_4oxmpI

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Stolen Food!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sub-Actuality posted:

Stolen Food!

it was stolen from the goat

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

mmmm leg ribs.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Leadthumb posted:

mmmm leg ribs.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

the legrib is back!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

mmmm leg ribs.

Well it's not quite a leg, and it's not quite a rib, but man... So, to answer your question, I don't know.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well it's not quite a leg, and it's not quite a rib, but man... So, to answer your question, I don't know.

haunch imo

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Leadthumb posted:

mmmm leg ribs.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want to loving scratch and sniff.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

lol

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i would like to know what a Geo Treat from Raw Danger! tastes like

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

i would like to know what a Geo Treat from Raw Danger! tastes like

It tastes like a treat.

The Yakuza food is usually a bit stock or low-res looking but the presentation is unbeatable. Putting together a combo, getting a little bonus, seeing Kiryu or whoever enjoy their meal and maybe get a little Crunk... goes a long way. I want to go to Number One Star Ramen in real life one day.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the food in monster hunter makes me intensely hungry irl, even the dango in rise despite the fact ive never eaten dango or any other traditional Asian candy and I don't have any idea what it could possibly taste like. i just know that it looks yummy.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also in ishin both of the restaurants I went to had the proprietor describing the dish you order and it was selling me on them big time. like the thieves porridge is fermented fish guts over rice but was sounding delicious because he was talking about how i was going to scarf it down like a thief in the night. it's a whole experience besides the blurry jpg.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

the food in monster hunter makes me intensely hungry irl, even the dango in rise despite the fact ive never eaten dango or any other traditional Asian candy and I don't have any idea what it could possibly taste like. i just know that it looks yummy.

I was initially disappointed that it was just dango after all the incredible feasts in World but it looks so fun to eat. More sweets should look fun imo, the Japanese and Indians have the right idea

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Was wondering whether games about food should be included and decided against it. The pleasure of video game food is coming across it unexpectedly or as a nice little treat. In a game about cooking it's really rhe bare minimum. You don't get bonus points for that.

That said, i must shame cooking simulator for its uninspiring stock models and cook, serve delicious for its lazy jpgs. Do better. Reflect and grow.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

even though you can't actually see them, i thought all the food items in river city ransom were really cool. and your character looks so happy when he eats lol

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

tmfc posted:

even though you can't actually see them, i thought all the food items in river city ransom were really cool. and your character looks so happy when he eats lol

sometimes the imagination is the most powerful meal of all. I am upset about cheese Merv and fish Merv though.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

sometimes the imagination is the most powerful meal of all. I am upset about cheese Merv and fish Merv though.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Special mention must go to the kitchen in space station 13, although the sprites themselves are functional at best. During my darkest years I played this game obsessively and Spigot the Bear became a master chef (and barman, with my signature drink Spigot the Beer, but let's focus here).

Highlights included making a cake that would turn the eater into a perfect clone of myself, people who I had convinced to throw themselves into the deep fryer before being turned into pizza, a sandwich made of clowns that made the eater scream and teleport uncontrollably, and the time i discovered that a couple of items you could name did not have character limits and ran around hitting people with custard pies named after three deep-fried versions of the entire Molly Bloom soliloquy from Ulysses. The kind of meal you can only make once in a lifetime, because I was told if I ever did it again I would be banned. Perhaps some flavours are just... too spicy!

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 24, 2023

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Special mention must go to the kitchen in space station 13, although the sprites themselves are functional at best. During my darkest years I played this game obsessively and Spigot the Bear became a master chef (and barman, with my signature drink Spigot the Beer, but let's focus here).

Highlights included making a cake that would turn the eater into a perfect clone of myself, people who I had convinced to throw themselves into the deep fryer before being turned into pizza, a sandwich made of clowns that made the eater scream and teleport uncontrollably, and the time i discovered that a couple of items you could name did not have character limits and ran around hitting people with custard pies named after three deep-fried versions of the entire Molly Bloom soliloquy from Ulysses. The kind of meal you can only make once in a lifetime, because I was told if I ever did it again I would be banned. Perhaps some flavours are just... too spicy!

Been having the urge to play this again, it's been years. Barman and chef are top tier jobs

I was playing Valheim a lot and i had an idea to revamp the food system and make it so you'd have a feast table that gives you buffs instead of having to carry around like 20 bowls of soup or whatever. I got so into it that i started looking up how to write my own mod but I've never touched code in my life so igave up pretty quick lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

extremely steampunk posted:

Been having the urge to play this again, it's been years. Barman and chef are top tier jobs

I was playing Valheim a lot and i had an idea to revamp the food system and make it so you'd have a feast table that gives you buffs instead of having to carry around like 20 bowls of soup or whatever. I got so into it that i started looking up how to write my own mod but I've never touched code in my life so igave up pretty quick lol

lol but that's a really good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

extremely steampunk posted:

Modding Morrowind was how I pivoted from my high school plan of going into comp science because I realised I was a completely loving mong when it came to coding lol. Worse ways to find out

That's a cool functional food idea though... share pictures of the food, if you please.