Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

what are some of the mechanics in a video game that you really enjoyed?

i have to go with Kirby 64 and powerup combinations. being able to combine powerups like fire and cutter to have a huge flaming sword owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
In toejam & earl you can high five to equalise your health. bros gotta look out for each other

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Klonoa you capture enemies and carry them over your head. Then you can use then to give you extra jump height.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i enjoy cid highwind

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

i enjoy cid highwind

cindy too

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Being invincible for a little bit after you get hit so you can't get stuck getting hit over and over forever has gotta be up there for me. It ain't a flashy pick(well sometimes it is :xd:) but it's an important one.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
tron bonne

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Leadthumb posted:

Being invincible for a little bit after you get hit so you can't get stuck getting hit over and over forever has gotta be up there for me. It ain't a flashy pick(well sometimes it is :xd:) but it's an important one.

This is one of those things that you never really think about until you play a game that doesn’t have it and then you realize how vital it is

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ftw

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

what the absolute gently caress is this screenshot dude lol

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I liked the goomba party members on paper mario 1 and 2 giving intel on every single NPC including sassy commentary on the most annoying ones

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

what the absolute gently caress is this screenshot dude lol

it's the only screenshot I could find of the slimechanic room and I honestly have no idea

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I like the Grind GRD system mechanic from Under Night. If the player wins enough GRD before the cycle ends, they enter Vorpal state. While in Vorpal state a character deals 10% more damage (also stacks with the 10% damage buff from Veil Off) and unlocks their unique Vorpal trait. It also lets you perform a Chain Shift, although this immediately removes your Vorpal state and drains all your GRD.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

French Accent posted:

what are some of the mechanics in a video game that you really enjoyed?

i have to go with Kirby 64 and powerup combinations. being able to combine powerups like fire and cutter to have a huge flaming sword owned.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I like big chain reactions and domino effects. like setting off a row of explosive barrels in Doom or knocking trees down a hill in Valheim and watching them knock down other trees

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Plutonis posted:

I liked the goomba party members on paper mario 1 and 2 giving intel on every single NPC including sassy commentary on the most annoying ones

If you like that, Bug Fables would be really up your alley. Every character in the game has something to say about literally everything and everyone, with separate battle comments for every enemy. It's also just a nice modern Paper Mario.

On that note, my favorite game mechanic is collecting things. Always so satisfying to collect 100% of whatever is in a game.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I love hitting a perfectly timed dodge in Bayonetta which triggers witch time for a few seconds. Platinum makes dodging feel really good in their games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I like any game with a good solid kick that sends enemies flying. Dark Messiah style

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I like any game with a good solid kick that sends enemies flying. Dark Messiah style

that and freezing the ground near a cliff ftw

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

hell yeah

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007

She's good, but she's no Roll Casket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

the buddy system in Kirby Super Star is really fun and cleverly implemented where the buddy can't actually change their type on their own but Kirby can change it for them/if they start to die and touch something they absorb it's power, it let's a good Kirby player carry their buddy and lets a good buddy player be practically immortal.