Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

The City Museum is cool as hell. We took the kids in 2019 and are finally going back in about three weeks at the start of spring break. It definitely has some displays that don't favor girthiness and the roof was closed the last time we went due to wind or something but we still had a great time. I'd like to see Cementland sometime even if it's unfinished. It was an art installation by the same guy who created the City Museum was working on, but he was beaten to death before its completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

The X-man cometh posted:

I stopped in Omaha during a road trip and saw the zoo there. It's pretty amazing, really big and full of interesting exhibits.

The r/relationships thread, of all places, recently veered into discussion of this zoo, the Henry Doorly. It is amazing, and probably one of the only things to make it worth traveling to Nebraska. Sadly the Lied Jungle is apparently under construction right now so no hanging out with the gibbons and tapirs. But they have a desert dome and an aquarium that make it worth visiting even in the depths of winter.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

DarklyDreaming posted:

The Los Angeles Natural History Museum has some cool stuff, but I don't want to talk about the permanent exhibits, I wanna talk about Spiders

The Spider Pavilion is an annual event running from some time in late summer to late fall. If you've ever been to a zoo aviary or butterfly pavilion it's like that, but you get locked in a mesh tent with horrifically poisonous arachnids from around the world.

The big girls (Tarantulas, bird eating spiders, giant huntsmans) get their own terrariums in the lobby...

...Which is a good time waster because visitors are going to be there for a while. Because here's the thing, before entry each group of visitors has to sit down for a talk lasting at least five minutes where the keeper sits you down to explain "Do not poke the spiders, do not touch the flowers either, they might have spiders hiding on them, please stay on the clearly marked path so as to not make the spiders think you are encroaching on their territory" This shields the museum from liability in case someone decides they know better.

Then finally you get in, and you will never find all of them. They are in front of you, they are under you, they are above you, and most importantly they are behind you.

(Spider pics)

I go every year, and we aren't really friends until I've tried to drag you to it.

They also have a Butterfly Pavilion. Which later becomes the Spider Pavilion with a built in food source.

Yes, what you think is correct.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
gonna talk about edinburgh, which is a cool city with a lot of nice architecture but also fairly maligned among non-edinburgh based scots. it is ludicrously touristy. listing things you should go to in edinburgh won't help with that but hey, gently caress it!

Surgeons Hall Museum - this is the weird poo poo. attached to the royal college of surgeons, it's got freaky stuff like skulls, anatomy, shrunken heads. there's also the death mask of william burke and a pocket book made out of his skin. william burke was one half of a duo called burke & hare who killed people and sold them for academic dissection. people also used to rob graves for bodies because there was such a demand. bit morbid, bit macabre, but cool if you're into that

Edinburgh Zoo - good zoo! But I'm gonna talk about a particular guy that lives at the zoo called Brigadier Sir Nils Olav III, a member of the Norwegian army. Why on earth would a member of the army live in the zoo? well because he's a loving penguin.

look at this guy. edinburgh zoo also used to do a penguin parade where any penguin who fancied it would go out for a walk. unfortunately the website says this is currently off the table due to bird flu concerns, alas. still. penguins are fun. especially ones that have been knighted. according to wikipedia, "During the ceremony a crowd of several hundred people watched the 130 guardsmen on parade at the zoo, and a citation from the King was read out, which described Nils as a penguin "in every way qualified to receive the honour and dignity of knighthood"."

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Hyrax at Smithsonian Zoo, gooniest animal (actually most closely related to the elephant???)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I just got back from a trip to London so I figured I'd share some of the treasures of the British Museum.

The Guy In The OP

"Oh god, how did this get here, I'm not good with terra cotta"

Hercules hitting a man with a pig

Satyrs

Panther grossed out by dick

Happy L'il Guy

Rat weirdness

An Egyptian wand featuring what seems to be a man with a cobra biting his junk

Baboon statues, one of which really sucks

The oldest known record of Smurfs

Weird old guy dancing for naked lady

Man With Giant rear end (On Crocodile)

4. Breast

Gladiator Helmet (High AF)

Roman windchime

Bonus: The British idea of a "Mexian Hot Dog":

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

if you like art then get down to the kelvingrove

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvingrove_Art_Gallery_and_Museum

They've got one of Dali's paintings which is very cool. Free entry

I just booked a hotel about 5 minutes away from there for 64 pound sterling a night. definitely stoked because lord knows i can only listen to my colleagues prattle on for about 5 minutes without killing them. incidentally google hotels is way cheaper than booking.com or any of the usual aggregators.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I took a class on ancient medicine and learned that they likened the uterus to an inverted jar, but I guess that also extended to actual portrayals of it and not just a "Think of it like" metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

We're currently on our 9th hour climbing and crawling at the Saint Louis City Museum. It's almost as fun as I remember. For some reason, many of the indoor slides are closed as well as 3-4 of the outdoor slides.