Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I have a Dell G15 5511. It has a recurrent problem of (I assume) losing power to the RTC when it goes to sleep while plugged in. I’ve been through the Dell support nightmare a few times and it seemed to improve for a while after the most recent firmware update, but now it’s a regular occurrence. Fixing it requires disconnecting the battery and booting off mains only and then setting the system time, which is a pain in the rear end. The screws on the back are starting to get worn from opening the case so often, and I’m dreading the day one fails entirely.

I try to prevent it by shutting the machine down rather than letting it go to sleep, but that isn’t always practicable. Any solutions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS that was released earlier this month.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Zogo posted:

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS that was released earlier this month.

Good spot, thank you- hopefully it helps. I hate firmware issues, manufacturer support never seems to be able to handle it.
Btw sorry for not using the template, spotted it too late.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

New BIOS hasn’t improved matters, unfortunately. Should I go to Dell for a repair?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Filboid Studge posted:

New BIOS hasn’t improved matters, unfortunately. Should I go to Dell for a repair?

Yeah, that wouldn't be a bad idea.