Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

chaplin

lucas

fargo

goebbels

brian grant is certainly a director who wears his influences on his sleeve. let's take a closure look at that duran duran video. admittedly, new moon on monday's not as good a song as hungry like a wolf and the video lacks its sexy colonial conquest theme, but the duran duran boy's are fighting against the franc garde which should be pretty cool.

the video starts and simon lebond's watch a rehearsal for a play. I guess he's going to write the score for it or something. the play's all in high school french and I can't remember enough high school french to make sense of it. there's also a beautiful woman and some police or militia guards.

I know it's not the greatest of blurry youtube stills, but I'm pretty sure the troops have an homage to this insignia, only flipped upside down and not over a tricolour. so they're supposed to be franc garde.

I say this because it fits with the notion of the video taking place in france and its ww2 dieselpunk vibe. in the video, duran duran are all members of la luna or whatever, some fictional resistance movement and I guess they're gonna be fighting the pro-vichy bootlickers, so far so good.

back to the video. the woman whispers something to one of the soldiers who then walks over to simon le bond and hands him papers or a letter or something. what a weird turn, maybe duran^2 aren't fighting against the fasc, maybe they're working as agent provocateurs for the fasc. nah, duran duran would never do that....hey, what's that on your lapel bond, simon le bond? it should be some music video variant of a crucifix to show your affiliation with a music video french resistance group.

norse ruins and lighting vibes. cool cool, not everything that looks like a swastika is a swastika.

maybe if I flip this around though...

and erase this part.

lol, it's like 3/4 of a swastika or an edgy jr. high swastika.

why? like, the insignia for the revolutionaries or provocateurs or whatever could have been literally anything. anything. it could have been 3d instead of 2d with all the cool kids holding up green marbles and passing out pamphlets with green marbles affixed to them.

we gotta extend the principle of charity regarding interpretation to brian grant though. dude knew it was a swastika and trolled all of the music entertainment industry and many of the world's teenage girls.

duran duran are not portrayed as the vanguard of the proletariat or even as regular french militia dudes who hate nazis. no, they're british nazi sympathizers out for a spot of adventurism across the channel. they organize a riot where people "fight" against the franc garde with fireworks. it starts when they raise a metal kite up in the sky that gets struck by lightning.

after scaring the cops off with roman candles, everybody dances and then this thing gets lit up.

where are all the girls duran duran, are you having a reichstag party? again, it could've been a giant green glowing marble, that would've been fine.

there's a 17 minute long extended cut I'm not going to watch. I'm guessing the last 4 minutes of it is the franc garde coming back and rounding everyone up followed by duran duran sipping tea on their yacht as they sail to north africa for some plunder.

I dunno if it's fair to blame brian grant for this. I dunno, maybe he didn't write it or make the props, maybe he just shot it and pasted it together. he made the video for hungry like a wolf too though and a kenny loggins video where kenny breaks out of jail, steals a car and abducts his teenage girlfriend so who knows

The Voice of Labor has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

who

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

jordan

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

your aunt's favorite band when she was in high school. there are photos of them in the op.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

The Voice of Labor posted:

your aunt's favorite band when she was in high school. there are photos of them in the op.

she did always have impeccable taste

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

is it true that duran duran almost died in a boating accident

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sorry i should say yachtting accident

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
what about a band called Durian Durian and they are Suharto collaborators?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's a common mistake but in English their name is actually Tworan Tworan

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
i like duran duran, soi hope that they are not nazis

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gas and ban op

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ELTON JOHN posted:

i like duran duran, soi hope that they are not nazis

they're rich, they're british, the new romantic thing was essentially tory antipunk reactionary disco. the real clencher is that animeistrash is trying to suppress this thread.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
itt people first encounter the 80s

also did nobody think to check duranduran.com??

https://duranduran.com/2015/duran-duran-on-being-snubbed-by-dylan-riding-rutting-elephants-in-sri-lanka-and-wearing-pink-trousers posted:

NR: Boom-boom. But once we’d settled in with Simon, the following really started to consolidate. We went onstage at that first gig to Tomorrow Belongs to Me from Cabaret. Bands using Nazi imagery was intended as sort of anti-establishment, wasn’t it? But I don’t think anybody really thought, as teenagers, about the implications. It was trying to shock the generation that went before, with all the McLaren-Westwood Seditionaries stuff.

JT: That’s a delicate issue. It was aimed at parents who had fought in the war, their obsession, and their involvement. The wider implication became known later on. We didn’t have that level of awareness. Going onstage to that song is something that you would never do today.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Weka posted:

what about a band called Durian Durian and they are Suharto collaborators?

I'm looking for durian durian.

then, my dear, you should use your nose and not your eyes

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm not going to give credence to the critical scholarship of a goon who can't even spell Simon Le Bon's name right

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

also New Moon on Monday sucks, pick a better song like Union of the Snake

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

essentially tory antipunk reactionary disco

oh ok that makes sense

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
is there a Duran Duran video from the early 2000s that has a Japanese game show theme? maybe that's another band

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Filthy Hans posted:

also New Moon on Monday sucks, pick a better song like Union of the Snake

I used to be able to play planet earth. the video for that looks like it has numberstation coded messages in it, but it's just timecode and note output from nick road's sequencer

really, as a thread, as a subforum, we should be looking at that kenny loggins video for I'm free

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
i solved this

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

duran duran nazi'ing it up to get back at their grandparents for defeating hitler and buying nick rhoads a synthesizer that costs as much as a car is definitely a worthwhile piece of internet sleuthing. what do you want to tackle next, patrick nagel's inexplicable popularity and ubiquity?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

duran duran nazi'ing it up to get back at their grandparents for defeating hitler and buying nick rhoads a synthesizer that costs as much as a car is definitely a worthwhile piece of internet sleuthing. what do you want to tackle next, patrick nagel's inexplicable popularity and ubiquity?

what

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen
i think ace of bass was real nazis btw

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
nick "cecil" rhodes

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ace of bass, they made "barbie girl", right?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

ace of bass, they made "barbie girl", right?

no that was ruth handler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

ruth "handler", got it

*connects string from photo of william sessions to still from electric barbarella*