Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
But I'm a Cheerleader came out in 99, really solid movie everyone should be forced to watch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/But_I%27m_a_Cheerleader

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd say the early 90s movies have a quality to them that most late 90s movies lack, a byproduct of shifting tastes among Hollywood execs that gave us things like American Godzilla and the Star Wars prequels.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
1899 was a pretty good year for movies.

"Train pulling into the station"
"Two people kissing for a brief moment"
"Horse running in a field"

Good times. I miss the Cinematograph.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
2006 and 2007 were great movie years too i feel. Really it was 2008 with the release of iron man where poo poo seemed to really go downhill

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

But I'm a Cheerleader came out in 99, really solid movie everyone should be forced to watch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/But_I%27m_a_Cheerleader

Saw a screening of this back in September and the audience (college kids) kept laughing when they weren't supposed to. Fantastic movie, love N. Lyonne

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

Saw a screening of this back in September and the audience (college kids) kept laughing when they weren't supposed to. Fantastic movie, love N. Lyonne

If you aren't watching poker face then you really should. She's basically doing old school Colombo.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

If you aren't watching poker face then you really should. She's basically doing old school Colombo.

It's pretty good

I only know Columbo from references. My wife hasn't heard of him but loves it, it's fun

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Yup. 1984 movies make 1999 movies look like dog poo poo.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Police Academy
The Terminator
The NeverEnding Story
Ghostbusters
Dune
Beverly Hills Cop
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Karate Kid
This Is Spinal Tap
Red Dawn
Top Secret!
Gremlins
The Last Starfighter
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

You forgot:

Sixteen Candles
Repo Man
Bachelor Party
Revenge of the Nerds
Purple Rain
A Christmas Story

Honorable Mention:
CHUD

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Bula Vinaka posted:

Another good year was 1987 which is the year the movie with the Wizard Master in Wizard Master's avatar was released.

Also Hellraiser, Predator, and something elses I can't remember right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtiaYVyF_18

code:
W I Z A R D M A S T E R
I                     E
Z                     T
A                     S
R                     A
D                     M
M                     D
A                     R
S                     A
T                     Z
E                     I
R E T S A M D R A Z I W

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Actually, yeah, it was. A LOT of content put out that year that still probably has some recognition to it.

But the 1999 effect really starts a bit sooner, probably.

1997 with two big cinema events: The Star Wars SEs that pretty starts to pave the way Episode One, and Titanic which lasts for months in theaters during 1998. The internet from around that time is just getting some real hype going. Then, in late 1998 you get Shakespeare In Love that gets a similar repeat performance all through the first half of 1999 so as to practically be a 1999 film. I'd say we could probably scroll back to the last few months of 1998 to be the unofficial start of 1999.

But now I'm trying to figure out, "When did 1999 end, unofficially?" We get the then-typical dumping ground of Jan-March for movies in 2000, and going through it it feels like the last thing that has anything close to the 1999 'vibe' going on is probably about Feb 2000. After that, it seems like you have a LOT more forgettable, unremarkable movies come out for the next several months that are quickly forgotten, with anything that seems memorable being few and far between for the rest of the year.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Police Academy
The Terminator
The NeverEnding Story
Ghostbusters
Dune
Beverly Hills Cop
The Karate Kid
This Is Spinal Tap
Red Dawn
Top Secret!
Gremlins
The Last Starfighter

-racist sequel that wasn't as good as the other two in the trilogy
-stupid hacky "comedy"
-slasher movie that is only talked about because the sequel is an all time classic
-weird, flat, bad production design, German
-pretty good comedy with bad sequels which has all been tainted by absolute manchildren raving about how it's "perfect" (it's not)
-dune was not good, acclaimed, or popular. C'mon.
-a buddy cop comedy, hack
-goofy horror movie, why do people like this crap
-daniel straight up cheated and also had bad technique, watch a real martial arts movie, pleb
-ok Spinal Tap is an all time classic, I'll give you that one
-cheesy red scare movie
-what the hell is top secret
-another goofy horror movie
-teenage wish fulfilment that you can save the universe by playing video games, grow up
-you can't be serious

stratdax fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 9, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wow bad opinions all around

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
What a great year for movies

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Never Been Kissed needs a remake.

Bieber Been Kissed: Justin Bieber realizes he's never had a normal high school experience, so he pretends to be a 17 year old boy and puts on a pair of glasses to disguise himself in order to attend and graduate like everyone else.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Amadeus was also 1984 and if you hate on a movie about the "Leck mich im Arsch" guy, I can't help you.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i was gonna say 1997 because of the Nicolas Cage Action Trilogy but The Rock came out in 1996

The Rock
Con-Air
Face/Off

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 9, 2023

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE8tV1_7SVM&t=285s

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Das Boo posted:

Amadeus was also 1984 and if you hate on a movie about the "Leck mich im Arsch" guy, I can't help you.

1984 also had Paris, Texas, which was so good that it buoyed the 1980s as a decade in film against a lot of its weaker years.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Police Academy
The Terminator
The NeverEnding Story
Ghostbusters
Dune
Beverly Hills Cop
The Karate Kid
This Is Spinal Tap
Red Dawn
Top Secret!
Gremlins
The Last Starfighter
drat thats a good list actually and also the movie 1984

and also my birthday :smug:

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

numberoneposter posted:

drat thats a good list actually and also the movie 1984

and also my birthday :smug:

Hey! I had a birthday that year, too!

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

1994 had Speed and True Lies. If only Jurassic Park had been delayed a year it could have been GOAT year.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

2006 and 2007 were great movie years too i feel. Really it was 2008 with the release of iron man where poo poo seemed to really go downhill

amazing films from 2007:

The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford
No Country for Old Men
Zodiac
There Will be Blood
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Still wait for the sequel to No Country For Old Men.

No More Country For Older Men.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

The second time I saw No Country for Old Men the dumbass next to me was fiddling with his phone the whole film.

I didn't even mind, I was looking forward to his bewildered reaction to the end credits. He didn't disappoint.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sorry, op, but Freddy Got Fingered didn't release until 2001 so this whole 1999 thing is out the window.

Your Family
Feb 18, 2023

Wizard Master posted:

1999 was such a great year for movies! Scanning the movies released that year reveals one classic film after another. It featured the final work by one of cinema's greatest masters in Eyes Wide Shut, whilst showcasing the emerging talents in films such as The Sixth Sense, Being John Malkovich and Magnolia. Of course, the film also played host to films that would become cultural touchstones for years to come including Fight Club, The Matrix and The Blair Witch Project, the latter two of whom would influence countless movies for years to come. What was your favourite movie from 1999?

I take it you're reading this book?

We're only here to un-do the damage you've done to our family name.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Oh that was the OP? Blair Witch Project? I saw that in the cinema and my friend an I loving hated it. So did a lot of the audience cause there were lots of people were booed(no this is not an attempt at a jump pun scare) at the end. Worst horror movie before Paranormal Activity took that crown.

Your link intrigues me though. 3 Kings was a fine film from memory.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ll always have a soft spot for Eaters of the dead.

Oh I’m sorry that’s what we literary types call “the 13th warrior” because that was the name of the BOOK

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

oldpainless posted:

I’ll always have a soft spot for Eaters of the dead.

Oh I’m sorry that’s what we literary types call “the 13th warrior” because that was the name of the BOOK

I watch that movie all the time.

It'd have been cancelled now due to Banderas playing someone from the Middle East!!!!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

None of those movies are better than Fight Club or the Matrix.

Most of those movies are better than Fight Club or the Matrix.

Buckaroo Banzai had the most 80's credit sequence of any movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah6TYuJ1iQg

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

OP forgot Austin Powers The Spy Who Shagged Me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Darth Brooks posted:

Most of those movies are better than Fight Club or the Matrix.

Buckaroo Banzai had the most 80's credit sequence of any movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah6TYuJ1iQg

Nah, maybe 5. Terminator, Top secret, gremlins, spinal tap and ghostbusters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

numberoneposter posted:

Still wait for the sequel to No Country For Old Men.

No More Country For Older Men.

Men: Older and Loving It