Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
The Thousand Hours Club: Or, A Celebration Of The Long Haul

Many of us have gotten... a little bit obsessed with some of the games in our libraries. This is the place to talk about those games, the ones that you have sunk hundreds, if not literally thousands of hours into. Maybe you want to recount some of your experiences with us in a wistful, yet heartfelt retrospective. Maybe you want to convince us to get addicted to your all-consuming pastime as well. Maybe you want to post numbers. It's all good.

Rules

- Just Post - Don't worry about having to follow up the fact that you've played the game forever by writing an epic saga. I mean, if you want to, that's great! But don't feel obligated to do so. The most important thing is to just keep the ball rolling.

- Use Your Best Judgment, Not A Clock - So, I personally will only be posting about games that I have specifically spent 1,000 hours or more in, as confirmed by either Steam or at some point having looked at the in-game clock. But the title is more of a guideline than a strict rule. It just needs to be a game that's consumed your life or been a constant presence in your life for a long while. If you are conflicted, please refer to the first rule.

- Don't Be a Jerk - Look, we're asking people to be honest about stuff that they've invested a lot of their identity into here. Some of this stuff is probably going to be pretty terrible on any one of a number of axes. In fact, I would probably wager that the ratio of terribleness to non-terribleness is going to be higher than average given the kinds of games that keep people playing for this long are either very good or very bad in a specific brainworms-y way. I want to believe that people are going to remain positive, but enshrining this here as a cardinal value.

I have a bunch of games that I could talk about, but rather than posting them all at once I'll start with one of the more impactful ones that I played recently.

From the moment I heard about Lost Ark, I became obsessed with it. I mean yes, it's an extremely grindy KMMO, but I love extremely grindy MMOs! And it was boasting some of the best isometric combat that I had ever seen for the genre, a host of fun raids, and because it came from Korea - the Global audience was guaranteed to have a large amount of content prepared for it well in advance. I played the alpha and was hooked... and remained so for about 3,000 hours. The story, if not superb, was interesting enough that I became ensconced in Arkesian lore and hunting down nearly every last collectible. The raids were as fun as advertised, and if the gear score grind was a bit intense, the fact that you only needed to complete part of a raid to get rewards and that easy daily tasks worked to provide much of the upgrade fodder meant that as long as you could get through even a little bit of the content constantly, you could get to see it all eventually. Also the Goon community was great for this game, and always prioritized having fun over everything else.

I don't play Lost Ark any more, because I got too caught up in alt-itis to maximize gold efficiency and found that 80% of pick up groups for Legion Raids had degenerated into a toxic mess. Part of me still wonders if I should have just given up on my alts and stuck to solely playing with Goons. That would be my advice for anybody trying to get into it today... or pick a support, since those were always popular. I even hear that the Artist release is just around the corner, something people were eagerly awaiting for months.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I like video games

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Probably World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 14. If I were to guess. 500+ in TF2

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
1000 hours? you are as babby

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have like 2k hours in tf2

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Onehandclapping posted:

1000 hours? you are as babby

My original tagline for the thread was going to be "I fear not the gamer who has played 10,000 games for one hour, but I fear the gamer who has played one game for 10,000 hours" but I didn't think we'd get anybody. Shows what I know!

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
I have around 3500 hours in Rust. Had to stop playing it since it is largely not compatible with having a baby. But man, that game has some high highs and some low lows.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I have a similar number of hours in dota2 (nevermind dota1 and HON). It’s the greatest game, I will likely play it til it’s unavailable

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have played entirely too much Oblivion, Halo in general, and Gundam Maxiboost (this one's the pandemic though)

I also played the gently caress out of Battletech during lockdown but that only hit 700 hours over five years.

Feb 2, 2005
800 hours in Smash Ultimate alone, so easily 1000 across the series. I have to uninstall it whenever I'm done and only reinstall for a predetermined period of time. I'll literally do nothing else if it's always available.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I used to play tournaments in both Halo(s) and Smash(es) but god knows if I hit 1000 hours in that or not lol

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, looking back at my various game platforms, I'm surprised at how a lot of stuff that I felt like I was playing forever doesn't actually make the cut and while the most populous category is MMO, it's only a plurality and not a majority.

(I'll probably write more in-depth on them later, but apart from Lost Ark above, there's 2 other MMOs: Runescape and 9Dragons, a clicker game: Cell to Singularity, a Survival game: Eco, a GAAS action game: Warframe, and a phone game: Fate/Grand Order. Maybe some other clickers qualified, but I don't remember them enough to track 'em down.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 9, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, I forgot. I also played way, way too much Destiny - both 1 and 2 (it counts, it was meant to always be one game)

Turns out I'll no-life anything Bethesda or Bungie toss in front of me

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I have 1,300 hours in dota2 and never learned how to 'git gud'
haven't touched it in a long time though, last login was in 2020 and I think that was just for a game or two, I hadn't spent serious amounts of time playing since a year or two before that

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
2102 hours in Europa Universalis 4. I haven't played this game in a few years, but even back then the game had an enormous amount of content.

954 in XCOM 2. Not ashamed at all at this one because the game is really loving good. I guess I could be ashamed that even despite all that play time, I don't play on the hardest difficulty. I tried to twice and really didn't enjoy the stress of it.

823 in FTL. The game is brilliant and hard difficulty is hard. I've cleared out all the ships on normal difficulty, but only a few on hard.

5,000+ in Civilization 4. This is just a guess because I've been playing that game pretty consistently since its release so I don't own it on Steam and don't have a play count. The number is probably really really bad.

I'm surprised that most of the games I have lots of hours sunk into are strategy games. I like the genre but I wouldn't call it my favorite.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

2200 hours in ff14, after that it's about a thousand hours each in New Vegas, Skyrim and Morrowind.

Love these games. Need more time for em.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I think Civ IV is the game with the most amount of time I've put in that's on anybody else's list so far, and even that's "only" 440 hours, mostly spent LPing a bad mod for the forums. Everything else drops off even quicker after that, I'm a very all or nothing sort of person. Anyways...

Most of the games on my list are in the past tense, as in I was obsessed with them for a few years and then got dragged off to go do something else. Apart from the clicker game, which I continue to put a few taps into every couple of months to maintain 100% completionism, Runescape is probably the one that I'm most likely to get back to eventually. I love the seemingly endless sense of adventure that permeates it, and of course, the calm and soothing nature of its grind. The only reason I'm not playing it now, apart from trying to experiment with other games in-between hyperfixations, is trying to decide whether I should just jump into one of my old accounts (I have a regular account that I maxed-but-didnt-full-completionist on back in 2017, but more has been added to the game since, and an Ironman that I was working on before I got sucked in by Lost Ark) or starting again for the purposes of doing a proper Let's Play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These are my Top 3 most played characters in Diablo 3. You might recall that Diablo 3 has seven character classes in total.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I played like 2k+ hrs of Dead By Daylight cause there's nothing else like its particular brand of horror tag like it but the devs are kinda rear end and the game never gets better, so i can't recommend it really.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

OxMan posted:

I played like 2k+ hrs of Dead By Daylight cause there's nothing else like its particular brand of horror tag like it but the devs are kinda rear end and the game never gets better, so i can't recommend it really.

Well, in that spirit...

Cell to Singularity - Evolution Never Ends is a clicker game about the development of life and humanity throughout time. It has a good presentation, but ultimately it is the clicker-iest of clicker games. Maybe it gets the slightest, faintest hint of being more complicated once you unlock the submodules, but that's it. I have over 1400 hours in it and have 100%'d the Steam Achievements, something that I have only done for two other games where that isn't just about beating a standard playthrough of the game: A Zuma-like arcade puzzler called Sparkle 2 and Hades. And CtS remains the only one of these thousand hour behemoths that I can't stop playing, because I want to make sure I stay at 100% in-game completionism and the devs keep releasing new cosmetics every two months to be bought through an in-game currency store. Sometimes, the best way to ensure that a player puts a ton of time into a game is through making a legitimately great game. Sometimes, it's just about making numbers go up.

(By the way, this screenshot is clearly from a dev copy of the game, nobody has that much of the pink currency without cheating super hard.)

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Halo MCC is such a good repackaging of great games. I jump into social matchmaking at least once a week, and with two young kids at home that’s saying a lot. I’ve played every map, used every imaginable combination of weapon, ‘nades, power ups, etc etc and somehow it doesn’t get old. I keep expecting to tire of it, and I never do.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Rimworld and Stellaris top out my Steam played list with over 2k+ each, but a lot of that is from being left on overnight/at work.

WoW and Rift are probably close to, if not over 1000 hours.

I've been playing Starsector, Jagged Alliance 2, Simcity 4 and Minecraft for over a decade (or two in some cases) so they'll easily be over 1k.

I regret nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Flight Simulator has a stupid amount of steam playtime but 80% of that is autopilot cruise at altitude while I do other things.