Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

Peeni Henare got in trouble for posting caricatures of David Seymour and Simeon Brown. Stuff put the them in their article, RNZ does article sharing with stuff. So what I'm saying is don't click unless you want to see a garbage pail kid version of Seymour.

I don't see the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
So, just so I understand, a light rail corridor linking the train station to the Wellington city centre, with potential for future build-out is a massive waste, disruptive to local businesses etc, but a 4km megatunnel under the city, from the Terrace to the airport is totally fine.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Spyderizer posted:

So, just so I understand, a light rail corridor linking the train station to the Wellington city centre, with potential for future build-out is a massive waste, disruptive to local businesses etc, but a 4km megatunnel under the city, from the Terrace to the airport is totally fine.

uh, yeah? a tunnel is underground? can't disrupt anything if there's nothing there? underground is famously empty of obstacles and complications

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

uh, isn't the train station in the cbd already

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

makes me think of the big dig

- passing directly under the city centre
- connections to the airport
- under sea level, near the sea
- decades from planning to completion
- over budget by 3x
- leaky

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

makes me think of the big dig

- passing directly under the city centre
- connections to the airport
- under sea level, near the sea
- decades from planning to completion
- over budget by 3x
- leaky

we can do leaky. it's one of the core competencies of the new zealand building industry

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

uh, isn't the train station in the cbd already

It's at the North end. You either walk or take a bus from there if your destination is closer to Courtney Place.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

redleader posted:

we can do leaky. it's one of the core competencies of the new zealand building industry

goes great with salt water too

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
we need our own tunnel debacle just like australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJhxRknHCvU

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
yeah but don't you understand a rotating cypher of the worst scumbags in the country will get rich for 30+ years off it? do you hate america? i mean new zealand?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Don't worry team, they might get Elong Mollusk on the drilling job

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Can't tell which is the more ridiculous proposal: National's 4km tunnel across an active fault line that bypasses the destination of 90% of traffic using it, or Labour's 21km light rail tunnel that would take 25 years to build and would've follow the same route as the country's most effective busway.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
if you think either of those would be done before we are all dead of old age i've got a tunnel to sell you

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i do like the idea of an eastbound tunnel under the basin reserve but that's not a long distance and it fixes a specific problem

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
10 billion dollar 4 lanes to the planes for....1200 cars in the morning peak.

That wouldn't even fill half of the notorious Westfield Newmarket carpark. Absolute rookie numbers. A single lane can carry more than 1200 cars per hour, let alone 3 hours.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I could see an argument for better connections to a theoretical airport that's expected to grow drastically

but wellington airport specifically is the opposite of that, hemmed in by water on two sides and rich politically connected nimbys on the other two sides, while also addressing a small population to begin with

so its really a tunnel to nowhere

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

i reckon i could get the nats to give me a tunnel from my house down to the local dairy

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the "i'm a hamas man now jerry!" quote but for national... shameful

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
greatest unchallenged bits from jack's 45-minute (!) handjob interview with the israeli ambassador:
  • having military personnel in a consulate invalidates its diplomatic protections
  • palestinians only hate us because of iran
  • we are not bombing gaza
  • if we're doing a genocide, how come the palestinian population has increased since 1948

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CxVsNwHPwA

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Nothing in a million could possibly make me watch that video.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
God what a farce

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
poo poo like that isn't even flying in the states anymore. they think kiwis are absolute backwoods rubes.

also remember that israeli tv guy who treated winston peters like a racist ooga booga tribesman caricature

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

also remember that israeli tv guy who treated winston peters like a racist ooga booga tribesman caricature

that was Brian Tamaki

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

poo poo like that isn't even flying in the states anymore. they think kiwis are absolute backwoods rubes.

they are

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Wafflecopper posted:

that was Brian Tamaki

drat... shameful my bad

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

they think kiwis are absolute backwoods rubes.
mate have you seen the governments they elect

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

He also repeated the beheadings claim unchallenged, and inflated the number of people killed on October 7th.

Shameful performance by jt.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the melissa lee / penny simmonds stuff is so good. national mps are gonna start resenting luxon if he keeps punishing underperformers, because he can't do the same with act / nz first ministers.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
august 2018 (10 months since government formation): melissa lee gets broadcasting minister clare curran sacked from cabinet

april 2024 (6 months since government formation): melissa lee gets broadcasting minister melissa lee sacked from cabinet

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This was such a sick burn lol

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

voiceless anal fricative posted:

This was such a sick burn lol

How many more MPs will lose their portfolios/positions because Luxon realises that they are complex? (And how much will that eat into Nationals male/female ratio?)

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Lobsterpillar posted:

(And how much will that eat into Nationals male/female ratio?)

Is that a thing they care about?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Is that a thing they care about?

Well no, but its a thing that I think during the election campaigning that they acknowledged was an issue and were trying to improve (and then proceeded to have a mostly make dominated party list)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Herald has published all six of these pieces just in the last three days lmao

it says good things, apparently

"overwhelmingly yes" is apparently the answer

This was a week in which Luxon had to strip two senior ministers of their portfolios because they were incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

voiceless anal fricative posted:

The Herald has published all six of these pieces just in the last three days lmao

Seven, there's a gushing Fran O'Sullivan one from today too. It's mostly about his trip to Singapore though.