Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

I was thinking recently that gen. alpha and gen z have joined millennials and gen X as the forth generation in a row for whom clowns are primarily a movie monster

Steven King writing a book set in the 60’s where a monster pretends to be a 1940’s circus clown, the horror is partly that “clowns are good and fun oh no it’s a monster”

ever since it’s been “ok that is clown makeup, where are the teeth yep there it is monster time”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

naem posted:

I was thinking recently that gen. alpha and gen z have joined millennials and gen X as the forth generation in a row for whom clowns are primarily a movie monster

Steven King writing a book set in the 60’s where a monster pretends to be a 1940’s circus clown, the horror is partly that “clowns are good and fun oh no it’s a monster”

ever since it’s been “ok that is clown makeup, where are the teeth yep there it is monster time”

Makes me think that a modern day equivalent would be some kind of platonic-ideal appearance of a streamer or one of those VTubers.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Jerma is already one of the scariest pieces of IP

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

naem posted:

I think the origin of the clown thing is John Wayne Gacy.

Speaking of clowns, we recently watched Terrifier 2 and it's really impressive on what they were able to do with such a small budget but it was so loving gross and unpleasant that I don't think I would ever watch it again.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

kntfkr posted:

I think the origin of the clown thing is John Wayne Gacy.

this is correct

naem
May 29, 2011

Im trying to imagine anyone today seeing a clown with the same delight as a dust bowl era farmer when the circus is in town

today its “oh hey look it’s one of those murderers!”

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRP_uMWFueY

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I saw a horror movie recently that I went into completely blind and it worked well because the entire thing positioned itself as a real documentary about a person who liked to hike the back woods and it didn't turn into a horror movie fake documentary about them finding a weird monster in the woods until the second half. I don't know if the movie was particularly good but not knowing what it was planning when I started it was cool. I forget the name of it but I wouldn't post it even if I remembered it because what would be the point if you already knew what I posted about it? The entire time I couldn't stop thinking "This would be terrible if I had seen even one trailer about it and knew what its deal was"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 13, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am definitely not a horror movie aficionado but I saw this movie The Night Eats The World last year and it's maybe the first good zombie movie I've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrKszy4HqRI

I enjoyed it a lot because it's for the most part not a movie about zombies antagonizing a person or a person killing zombies or whatever, it's mostly a movie about this guy sneaking around gathering supplies and scavenging while avoiding the zombies. It was more of a survival movie during a zombie apocalypse, than a zombie survival movie, I guess.

If you have ever played the videogame Project Zomboid (it owns), this movie was like a film adaptation of that game.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

You Are A Elf posted:

Oh wow, this is one I always casually forget because I haven’t seen it in some time. I own it and it is incredible. Gonna give it a watch today since I’ve got nothing else to do. Thanks for reminding me of this gem :tipshat: George C. Scott should have done more horror films because he was great in The Exorcist III, too.

I saw this movie once a few years ago after trying to find the best horror movies about something I was into at the time. All I remember is that it was excellent. George C. Scott is awesome.

You Are A Elf posted:

:hai:

I own the first and third Exorcist, but not the second one.

That fuckin’ jump scare in III still gets me.

That's probably the best jump scare in cinema history.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

teen witch posted:

Sometimes you just want to watch over the top gore and that’s ok (in a fuckin movie settle down)

I think Art is a solid villain, like there is potential for a better film with him as the villain. Now, will it be Terrifier…? Maybe not.

I guess he looks alright but i dont find his schtick memorable. however i still check the hamper before i get in the shower so that the killer klowns dont turn me into violent popcorn.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Astrochicken posted:

Got tricked into watching terrifier 2 in theaters and it was such a slog. Id rather watch Michael again.

I tried watching the first one not knowing what it was about and gave up pretty quickly. This past Halloween I went into again, this time knowing and I really enjoyed it. Goofy gore poo poo. I asked a friend to go see the 2nd one in the theater but he couldn't make it, so I just streamed it. I didn't make it through the whole thing. Maybe the first one filled my cup enough or something.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's probably the best jump scare in cinema history.

:yeah:

A Fancy Hat posted:

I read the book and really disliked it, it just didn't click for me. Then I saw an extended bunch of clips from the movie recently, and all of them looked really cool. I just picked up a Blu Ray copy for cheap, hoping to watch it soon.

The novel just seemed really boring and long-winded to me. It had some really good scares, though, so I'm hoping the movie is a more condensed version of that.

Yeah, I’m thinking of blind buying the Blu-ray because the clips Intrigued me. I can’t pass up early ‘80s practical effects.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Actually that could be why I’m fine with Terrifier - practical effects hog Heaven.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
The Stepfather goes so hard on those first 5 minutes where its just him cleaning up blood then he comes down stairs and you see the whole family dead.

So here's my question What are the best openings of horror movies ever?

My vote is The Stepfather

wait for it
Feb 21, 2021

Hollismason posted:

black sunday/mask of satan has a dope old schol opening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIlNchAeSY4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

teen witch posted:

practical effects hog Heaven.

I'm quite the fan of practical effects. It probably comes up a whole lot whenever I talk about horror movies.

The Thing = GOAT

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Let the Right One In is still one of my favorites. Clicks all the boxes for me, and bonus points for f-ed up subtext and for actually being a creepy vampire movie. Seems like most vampire movies only manage to be horror-adjacent.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I'm quite the fan of practical effects. It probably comes up a whole lot whenever I talk about horror movies.

The Thing = GOAT

I first saw The Thing:
A. Not knowing much about it outside of Carpenter and Kurt Russell
B. After eating one of the first edibles I’ve ever had

I wish I could relive that experience

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

teen witch posted:

I first saw The Thing:

That must have been straight up magical.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm rewatching The Signal (2007) which I remember fondly, but haven't seen it for 15 years. Let's see if it holds up.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

That must have been straight up magical.

If I may use the meme of the moment, my friend and I were both Nic Cage and Pedro Pascal but at different times (for me it was mostly for Harry Dean Stanton)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wziTYeIsx-4

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
edit: ^^^ uh, that's a pretty bad new red text you got. 1) gently caress that person, 2) you should probably change it

I know nothing of Pedro Pascal besides he is in the Mandalorian and I believe he is a genuinely good dude and pisses off the right wingers or something.

I'd like to see him in something.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I know nothing of Pedro Pascal besides he is in the Mandalorian and I believe he is a genuinely good dude and pisses off the right wingers or something.

Mando is worth a watch but this is not star wars chat, so that’s all I’ll say.

And yes, so far, he is pretty solid.

Pedro Pascal in a horror film yes please.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

teen witch posted:

I first saw The Thing:

Recently I managed to avoid every trailer, synopsis, description, interview, review etc for Nope and watched it while high, that was good.

E: on the subject of creature/cosmic/body horror, I got genuinely creeped out by Annihilation.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 14, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Watch The Equalizer 2. He’s great in that. Then watch the first Equalizer (which doesn’t have Pascal) because they’re both self-contained movies and great action/suspense flicks.

edit: ^^^ uh, that's a pretty bad new red text you got. 1) gently caress that person, 2) you should probably change it

Yeah, this, too. That’s hosed up, teen witch.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

He was also in Wonder Woman '84, but you don't need to see that. No one needs to see that. Maybe there's a compilation or something.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 14, 2023

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Hollismason posted:

The opening scene in 28 Weeks Later is white-knuckle intense.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

I would recommend Pontypool then.
It's a one room/set movie, a radio station,where the host starts getting calls about weird poo poo happening.

Agreed. Saw TW's question and scrolled down to see if anyone mentioned it. Found this to be a fun, fresh twist. Iirc you and I have deep alignment in our horror movie tastes

Also House of Leaves adaptation, when?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

I know we're talking movies but The Last of Us is seriously some grade-A body horror that he's in. The first few episodes actually made the infected more terrifying than the games and really unnerved me with how far they went with portraying what an infection is like.

Though I will say the final half has literally two infected for a typical "surprise scare then the protagonist kills them" which was a bit of a drag. But the first half was really goddamned incredible in that regard and the showrunners promised more infected in the second season.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Goodnight Mommy is real good, though the name is pretty bad. It's a German movie and the title is apparently a play on words, but they probably should have spent more time thinking about the translation. I just saw that there was an American remake last year starring Naomi Watts but never heard anything about it.

Sleep Tight is also very good, though more in a creepy and uncomfortable way than straight-down-the-middle horror. The ending is definitely horrifying, though.

You Won't Be Alone is excellent though it's also kind of a stretch to call it a horror film. It has witches though and witches are scary so I think it qualifies.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

FueledBySatan posted:

Mad God only took about 30 years to make. Just another 29 years until Phil Tippett's next masterpiece.

Skinner has a kickstarter up for Shrine of Abominations and it's funded, one of the caveats of funding is that Phil and his team are gonna come in and help finish it all up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theartofskinner/shrineofabominations

I just rewatched Mad God with my lady again last night and I think I understand it more than I did last time, it's still just a crazy nightmare though. Masterpiece of animation.

edit: and from the kickstarter page

quote:

Phil Tippett has assisted already and directed sections of the film, and we will have even more help from top animators at Tippett studios once it’s funded.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 14, 2023

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Hollismason posted:

The Stepfather goes so hard on those first 5 minutes where its just him cleaning up blood then he comes down stairs and you see the whole family dead.

My vote is The Stepfather

The Stepfather is a real good pick; it's a nice way to instantly tell you how dangerous the guy is and you spend the rest of the movie just waiting for him to snap.

My pick would either be Scream or Re-animator. Almost little mini-movies that introduce the concept of the movie, give you just enough craziness, and then smash to the credits. I'd also say that Scream VI had a really loving good opening, too, but it helps if you've seen all the other Scream movies to help really make it pop out as something unique and different. And I can't in good conscience recommend Scream 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Scary Movie 2 intro.