Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

"It did come across a little bit like AEW Dark: Red and Black to me...My biggest concern though is that i would like to see at some point down the line, a clear line drawn between the AEW and Ring of Honor rosters and distinctive rosters between the promotions...while there's co-mingling between the two rosters, it's not going to feel like it's own genuine promotion until that happens. If you're serious about ROH as its own true entity...its going to need stars, it's own full time stars." -Joe Lanza March 3rd VOW podcast.

I remember the WWE draft when it first started and how it was exciting to think about how there would be stars exclusive to RAW or Smackdown and then a superstar would cross over to the other brand without rhyme or reason and as this constantly happened it made the brand split a little less special.

With Ring Of Honor having launched on streaming with Honor Club, I agree with the quote that, at the moment, there's little difference between AEW and ROH and would add that to untrained eyes, ROH could be seen as paid AEW Dark Elevation. With there being a lot of wrestlers in AEW not getting enough television time, which AEW wrestlers would you move over to ROH for the foreseeable future with no crossover between ROH and AEW for some time?

Excluding current champs, my thought process was to 1.) pick wrestlers/tag teams that haven't gotten enough screen time, or 2.) have done everything in AEW and needs new challenges or 3.) may help to bring in or subscribers.

1.) Kenny Omega: I think that he has had matches with nearly all the top stars in AEW and has held all the top belts. I don't know what else he has to do in AEW and I think his name and reputation could be enough to swing people into signing up for ROH subscriptions. I also think that there's enough top talent to endure this loss to the roster.

2.) Lucha Bros: They again have held tag and trios titles and it doesn't seem in the cards for a singles title run for either so I think that maybe it's time to move on and have fresher matchups (hopefully?) in ROH.

3.) Lee Moriarty; I think that technically, Lee is a good wrestler that deserves more than he's been given in AEW currently. With the pure title playing into his style of wrestling, I think he'd be a good fit in ROH.

4.) Daniel Garcia: The same reason with Lee in that his style would match with ROH and if Thatcher and Tracey Williams are sticking around, I think that would build up a strong Pure division if Tony wanted to focus on that.

5.) Best Friends: They are very good workers but they have such a limited ceiling in AEW, being in the same spot as Dark Order. I think though that if built up well, Best Friends can have good, even exciting matches with tag teams and I'm hoping that having a good pure wrestling scene and the base of a good tag team division would attract people to watch ROH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Samoa Joe keeps getting overshadowed by other matches in his good little PPV fights and it might be good if he was exclusively both a gatekeeper and final boss in ROH for a while. Maybe even the rest of his career and he could have an emotional full circle thing about it

I can't really think of any other people I would want to lose from AEW long-term that wouldn't just be getting rid of trash. Maybe Yuta. But definitely not a top 3 aew star

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Cavauro posted:

I can't really think of any other people I would want to lose from AEW long-term that wouldn't just be getting rid of trash.
Maybe Yuta. But definitely not a top 3 aew star

I struggled with this because ROH needs star power and yet when I was trying to see who I would slot onto ROHs roster, I could only think of afterthoughts like Miro, etc. I don’t want ROHs roster to be full of personal castoffs because then that doesn’t make it a product worth watching in my opinion. I picked Kenny because I feel like they need a shot in the arm and I think he could provide that. In addition to not being involved in any glaring storylines ( maybe conflict with Adam Cole) he seemed like the easiest top star to slot over.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Too many posts in a row, off-topic.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 13, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Here's some others:

Butcher & Blade as dominators who become gross and butcher-esque in how they gently caress up the other teams. but under the rules of wrestling. Just really harsh wrestling in the ring. becomes a feared tag team.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 13, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Cavauro posted:

Ignoring any of that opinion, I have a feeling that when people sub because Kenny committed to a date or two, those people are almost entirely the same group of people who would sub or sign up if he is made exclusive. Because of this, I don't understand why it would draw significantly more people to ROH if he was no longer wrestling in AEW, even though I respect that it could. But in the end, Been eating a lot of potato skins tonight. bacon and cheese, hold the sour cream. i just don't like it. And if i don't like that then why would my feelings be right about something else. It's just talking. i hear the tater cry. Under the bacon sky. the melted cheddar screams. the best. so-ur. cream. it would be perfect if i liked sour cream, but it's ruined because I don't. Simple as

:golfclap:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I've already seen this suggested in another thread probably a week ago or so but if he does return, maybe CM Punk could be in ROH for quite some time before showing up in AEW again. His latest feat being something else would really help him out. It could even end with him being "finished" with Eddie Kingston and purposefully going back where Eddie is too fudged up to follow.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Alex Reynolds
Andrade El Idolo
Angelico
Bandido
Bear Boulder
Bear Bronson
Blade
Blake Christian
Bobby Fish
Brian Cage
Brody King
Buddy Matthews
Christian Cage
Christopher Daniels
Chuck Taylor
Claudio Castagnoli
Colt Cabana
Dalton Castle
Eddie Kingston
Ethan Page
Evil Uno
Fuego Del Sol
Isiah Kassidy
Jack Evans
JD Drake
Joey Janela
John Silver
Kaun
Kip Sabian
Kyle O'Reilly
Lance Archer
Lee Moriarty
Lio Rush
Luchasaurus
Marq Quen
Matt Sydal
Miro
Malakai Black
Mark Briscoe
Nick Comoroto
Ortiz
PAC
Penta El Zero M
Rey Fenix
Samoa Joe
Santana
Scorpio Sky
Serpentico
Shawn Spears
Sonny Kiss
Stu Grayson
The Butcher
Toa Liona
Tony Nese
Trent Beretta
Wheeler Yuta

I'd also replace the booker with someone who gives a poo poo about these guys and can focus on more than a handful of storylines at a time.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hammond Egger posted:

I'd also replace the booker with someone who gives a poo poo about these guys and can focus on more than a handful of storylines at a time.

Like who?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pylons posted:

Like who?

HHH

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pylons posted:

Like who?

Me

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Hammond Egger posted:

List of wrestlers

Then what do you have on the AEW roster? I was hoping to have both rosters be full and or competitive.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Could probably put the whole Firm on ROH and they'd all be in a better spot for it, though I don't think they'd actually be needle movers.

itsnews
Jul 25, 2022

mooseinfants posted:

Could probably put the whole Firm on ROH and they'd all be in a better spot for it, though I don't think they'd actually be needle movers.

I think that’s a great idea.

I also think Rush/Vance/Andrade should be ROH exclusive. The former wrestled on the last two PPV’s + on the first episode of TV so it wouldn’t hurt to have the whole group there.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Top folks that you'd move over? It would have to be folks who can actually draw and might benefit from getting some elevation there...hmmm

Send the Outcasts down there after they've done their thing in AEW or have them boot the Original Mean Girls down there in a stip match. Either way they get a female group with some star power who could elevate the division instead of poo poo talking it to get ahead. if you send some of the originals you can run the invasion angle back in reverse later.

Best Friends/Butcher and Blade feel like good tag teams to get some run there. Lucha Bros would be great there (already in this new ladder match for the titles), but I would really miss them in AEW, you can't give all the goods up for your prime product.

Kenny and the Young Bucks actually could be a great piece to move over there for a while. They'd def get subscriptions to see them and they have done just about everything they can minus putting over young teams in AEW, so ROH would be a good place to hold some gold and get to do that while letting the AEW tag/trios division get some growth while they're gone.

Mark Sterling and his goofs or The Firm, either stable could move over as midcard gate keeping heels in ROH and would add value.

Maybe thats a great spot for Wardlow to resurface? He'd prb get to do more with a little less exposure that would allow an AEW return to have a bigger pop.

Dark Order could actually be relevant and not goof jobbers if they were in ROH instead of where they are in AEW.

Like half your lucha talent you don't use; Bandido, Desperado, LFI maybe? Andrade for sure if he'd be up for it, could be a great guy to hold the top belt as a heel.

If JUNGLE BOY JACK PERRY can't hold an AEW singles title this year maybe a run with a title in ROH would help?

This is a good topic for conversation to be sure!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If Punk is coming back, ROH could really do with him. Big name draw, bound to get a lot of people tuning in just to see him, has a huge history with the brand, and keeps him separated from The Elite.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Warner would probably throw a fit if Punk came back and went to ROH instead of their tv shows

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

That's true. Send Kenny and the Bucks to ROH then.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

it would be insanely funny if the blow up between punk/the elite that started with rumors that punk got colt cabana sent to roh, was capped off with punk returning to tv while the elite got sent to roh

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost

TV Zombie posted:

Then what do you have on the AEW roster? I was hoping to have both rosters be full and or competitive.

I took about 45 guys from the active roster and apart from Claudio, House of Black, Kyle O'Reilly, Samoa Joe, Death Triangle and Wheeler Yuta it's pretty clear the rest won't be getting featured regularly anytime soon.

And that still leaves: Aaron Solo; Action Andretti; Adam Cole; Adam Page; Angelo Parker; Anthony Bowens; Anthony Ogogo; AR Fox; Ari Daivari; Austin Gunn; Brandon Cutler; Brian Pillman Jr; Brock Anderson; Bryan Danielson; Cash Wheeler; Chris Jericho; Colten Gunn; Danhausen; Daniel Garcia; Dante Martin; Darby Allin; Darius Martin; Dax Harwood; Dustin Rhodes; Griff Garrison; Hook; Jack Perry; Jake Hager; Jay Lethal; Jeff Jarrett; Jon Moxley; Josh Woods; Keith Lee; Kenny Omega; Konosuke Takeshita; Lee Johnson; Luther; Matt Hardy; Matt Jackson; Matt Menard; Max Caster; Michael Nakazawa; MJF; Nick Jackson; Orange Cassidy; Parker Boudreaux; Powerhouse Hobbs; Preston Vance; Peter Avalon; QT Marshall; Ricky Starks; Rush; Sammy Guevara; Satnam Singh; Shawn Dean; Sting; Swerve Strickland; Trench; and Wardlow.

That's almost 60 male wrestlers (main eventers highlighted in bold) plus the entire women's division. Even an easily distracted coke fiend should be able to put together a full and competitive set of shows with that line-up.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mooseinfants posted:

Warner would probably throw a fit if Punk came back and went to ROH instead of their tv shows

This would be hilarious if only so Tony could be like "shoulda picked up that ROH show huh"

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

I feel like moving anyone in the Elite from All Elite Wrestling to ROH isn't really keeping them distinct in the way the premise of the thread suggests.

Takeshita, Christian Cage if he's interested in another run, Samoa Joe, Jade when she drops the belt or as that poster said one of the factions from the big womens feud. Bryan has a bit more credibility as an excursionist than some so having him there for a while could be good although ultimately I'd prefer him at the top of AEW wrestlin every week.

Could be cool to have some of the Dark regulars move to a more permanent role there too. Emi as the final boss of the womens division. Formerly Bear Country. The Outrunners or whatever they're called, with Turbo Floyd.

Obviously lure Morishima out of retirement.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Angelico for the Pure title and just have him pretzel the whole division.

Also bring back Jack Evans just to ROH and reform TH2 while they're at it. SAP can still exist on Dark.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Dick Swiveller posted:

I feel like moving anyone in the Elite from All Elite Wrestling to ROH isn't really keeping them distinct in the way the premise of the thread suggests.

The Elite are essential in the building of AEW but I think that if I were Tony Khan, I would want to slowly break away from that association as "AEW is where The Elite wrestle" to "AEW is where you can find elite wrestling (or something like that)" because so many things can happen in the future like what if the Elite retire or contract negotiations break down and one or all of Omega and the Bucks go to another wrestling federation and they are no longer in AEW.

Sorry, my thought process went away from me there.

You could always just not bring up the Elite moniker and just say that Omega or the Young Bucks are in ROH and try to push the brand of ROH during this time of trying to rebuild and revive ROH.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I always felt like putting the name "Elite" in the title while having their stable being called The Elite was a risky proposition, and didn't help the perception when it started out that it was a vanity project for those guys.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
I feel like the "_______ is All Elite" splash screens for signed performers has been great at putting distance between the companies branding and The Elite stable, I think if you pepper that sort of "Since ______ became All Elite" type of dialogue in commentary or on the mic it'll further emphasize that being The Elite and being All Elite are two different things in the audiences mind

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Personally speaking if you take cool people off of AEW and put them on ROH it just makes me less likely to watch AEW as opposed to more likely to watch both

A TV deal or some sort of streaming doodad that covers both would be necessary for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I don’t care what happens, as long as they put those tag belts on 2.0 asap