Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

I mention software because it's something I've done a bit of before (less than 1 full year though) and wouldn't be difficult for me to get back into. I could probably get myself a position as a developer somewhere within a few months if I applied myself, then do a year, and that would meet the minimum requirement to get the 9 points on the Federal Skilled Worker visa. Which would put me, I think, at 66 points - 1 short of the minimum. I have a degree, am 33, and English is my native language so I'd be looking to pick up points in the Adaptability, Job Offer or even French ability section to put me over.

I'm just in the early stages of looking at this though and I'm not 100% set on the software developer route right now, it's just my first idea and doesn't require me to pick up another long qualification to get started.

The point would be that I want to get out of the UK and live and work elsewhere at least for a few years, and Canada seems like the best option at a glance. So any insider info on how easy this is to do, or maybe some skillsets that are in need other than coding. If you've done it yourself and have advice, that would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I can't help with the immigration piece other than everyone I know who has done it to any western country has talked about how much harder it is than it seems (other than if you go get a degree in that country).

Also, you're coming from the UK? If so, great. Be advised the software salaries in Canada are not always like the salaries in the US, but they are better than the UK ones in general anyway so that should be fine. I actually don't think the software market in Canada is red hot, but it's still probably pretty good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's a recent thread on moving to Canada that you may be interested in. It's not easy.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

roomtone posted:

I mention software because it's something I've done a bit of before (less than 1 full year though) and wouldn't be difficult for me to get back into. I could probably get myself a position as a developer somewhere within a few months if I applied myself, then do a year, and that would meet the minimum requirement to get the 9 points on the Federal Skilled Worker visa. Which would put me, I think, at 66 points - 1 short of the minimum. I have a degree, am 33, and English is my native language so I'd be looking to pick up points in the Adaptability, Job Offer or even French ability section to put me over.

I'm just in the early stages of looking at this though and I'm not 100% set on the software developer route right now, it's just my first idea and doesn't require me to pick up another long qualification to get started.

The point would be that I want to get out of the UK and live and work elsewhere at least for a few years, and Canada seems like the best option at a glance. So any insider info on how easy this is to do, or maybe some skillsets that are in need other than coding. If you've done it yourself and have advice, that would be appreciated.

This is a bit late but gently caress it. You can definitely move to Canada to be a coder, that's what I did, Canada is a great place to live and the salaries for tech are finally beginning to rival their US counterparts (at least, they were). Although right now it might be tough to get into just because everything in tech right now is about downsizing rather than growing, and only picking up the people they really need. Another less known issue over here is that there's a lot of companies that discriminate against people without "Canadian experience". It's a known saying that Canada is the only place you'll find foreign doctors driving taxis, because of how hard the labor market can be to break into, even if you on paper have all the skills. I personally struggled for the first 6months to even get a call back from I'd say 80-90% of my applications, even in cases where I fitted the requirements exactly. Funnily enough I never had an issue with getting call backs after the first job, welcoming foreigners into the workplace is one thing Canada really really sucks at in that regard.

I think the other big demands are the skilled trades. Construction workers are always needed here (flipside of housing prices being so high).

On that note, don't expect to buy a house anytime soon. If by chance you think houses in the UK are expensive, people are asking the equivalent of 1m GBP minimum in the big cities here for anything livable.

Overall, you can do it. You might get lucky and get a job pretty soon after arriving, but I'd plan at least for 6months of job hunting just in case. Also be prepared to work other stuff in the meantime, like service work, taxi, construction, anything to pay the bills.