Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I live in a row of townhouses. Garage on the first level, two livable stories above that. My neighbor has accidentally remote started their car multiple times in the past few months, car in the garage, totally sealed up. We share a wall between the units and it fills my place with horrible exhaust fumes. Today it happened again. I smelled the fumes, opened up every window, put a fan on to help vent the place, and went over and knocked. Guy is super embarrassed, shuts his car off.

I'm still dizzy like 3 hours later, and that's expected if you are exposed to car exhaust. Carbon monoxide has a biological half life of about 5-6 hours, so it takes a while to get rid of it. But here's the thing I'm puzzled by; I have a carbon monoxide detector AND a carbon monoxide meter, and I can't detect anything. The smell of exhaust is so bad in the most impacted rooms that you can practically taste it, but apparently the carbon monoxide isn't showing up in the unit (apparently). So this got me thinking, just what is in car exhaust? Is dry wall porous to some but not all gasses? What kind of instrument detects car exhaust? I'm puzzled because I really thought the CO detector would help me avoid getting gassed again. I've got these, I checked both of them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0174Q3RVG
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002EVNJ6

If you know something help me out because if this happened while I was sleeping it would actually be a Bad Situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my neighbor died this way (but a furnace) get plug in detectors

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and two friend in HS died this way in a cabin on vacation

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

maybe talk to the neighbour about it? figure out why its happening and how to stop it happening

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

maybe talk to the neighbour about it? figure out why its happening and how to stop it happening

ask them to buy an electric car

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

A well running modern-ish gasoline car puts out very little carbon monoxide. You might be feeling the effects of carbon dioxide. Just like when cooking on gas - a gas stove that works well, won't trigger a carbon monoxide alarm.
Verify that your CO detectors are working by putting them into a a glass box/aquarium/big jar together with a tiny candle, then seal the box. When the candle runs out of air it'll start producing CO and trigger the alarm.

Try to find a real co2 detector (there are a bunch of fakes on the market), preferably one with audible alarm. Keep an eye/ear on both the CO and the CO2 detector.

If you want to make things safer for yourself: Turn off any ventilation systems that use extractor fans. Instead, use somewhat high pressure fans to pressurize your house (not 'pressurize' as in 'using a big air compressor' - you only need a very slight pressure differential). If your neighbor uses natural ventilation or extractor fans, any exhaust gas will not be able to move towards your house because any leaked gas and air will flow from your high pressure house into the lower pressure house and the outside.

Here are some detection levels of the CO detector:

quote:

They are NOT required to warn of low-levels of CO. The UL standard requires detectors to alarm within 90 minutes when exposed to 100 ppm; 35 minutes when exposed to 200 ppm and 15 minutes when exposed to 400 ppm. Some detectors are more sensitive and will, when exposed for many hours, detect or alarm at lower levels.

A modern Euro 6 gasoline car is allowed to emit 1000ppm of CO at the emissions test. To make the alarm sound within 15 minutes, about half of the exhaust gas should move into your house. To make it sound within 90 minutes, 10% of the exhaust gas has to reach your house.
I don't think you're getting anywhere close to such extreme leakage, so i am not surprised that the CO alarm doesn't go off.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just to be clear I have a CO alarm that plugs into the wall.

I was dizzy as poo poo yesterday and had some small nausea it was pretty crazy, but then I started thinking about how stupid this was and I was getting pretty mad and I started getting dizzy again and I think its probably anxiety and stress lol

LMFAO