Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm either shopping at winco with the tweakers or the fancy organic grocery store with the boomer hippies...a shopper of many masks

titty_baby_ has issued a correction as of 16:01 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Trader Joe's is not expensive. It's budget priced or just normal priced. They specifically only open stores in predominantly white and high-income areas so the misimpression is understandable, but I'd encourage people to give it a whirl.

That said I shop at Lidl :colbert: I get dog treats from TJ's though, 7 bucks, 3 cal per treat, lasts like 6 weeks.

Trader Joe's can be expensive depending on what you normally buy at a grocery store. if you tried to do all your grocery shopping there, like a full cart, it'd definitely be more than at a different grocery store, save for maybe Whole Foods. because they deal in mostly specialty products, overall they're more expensive. but individually, some items are less expensive. for example, specialty produce: baby broccoli (broccolini) is cheaper at TJ's than other stores near me. but if I just want plain rear end broccoli, I'm spending $2.50/lb for a prepackaged pound at TJ's compared to the $2/lb price at a regular grocery store. cilantro, onions, potatoes are all more expensive at TJ's

If you want smoked salmon, it's cheaper at TJ's. if you want plain rear end bagels to go along with it, it's cheaper at a different grocery store. it's kind of a crap shoot.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
True, it's a mixed bag. If you can manage two stores then it's a fine addition to some budget option. As a primary it'll depend on what you buy. Produce and meat seem to be the better-priced options there but like you said not necessarily

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

they do have some amazing garbage food though. those coconut almonds are incredible. yes yes guillotines etc but at least my head will be full of delicious coconut almonds as it rolls into the basket

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

it's so cute that trader guillotine is leading the way to declaring unions unconstitutional

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

the best i've got is getting some of my dairy, egg, etc staples from costco. basically loss leaders, and if you walk out without buying random boojie poo poo you're good to go

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just picking up my weekly gross of eggs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

buying produce at trader joes is a skills issue. that dump is for pre-made slop and junk food only.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

mawarannahr posted:

it's so cute that trader guillotine is leading the way to declaring unions unconstitutional

ugh I know. aren’t Starbucks and some other poo poo places involved in the same proceedings?

Although there is an upside in that invalidating the nlra would open up some opportunities for organizing. But who am I kidding, SCOTUS will just carve out the good parts and leave all the dumb restrictions

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Trader Joe's can be expensive depending on what you normally buy at a grocery store. if you tried to do all your grocery shopping there, like a full cart, it'd definitely be more than at a different grocery store, save for maybe Whole Foods. because they deal in mostly specialty products, overall they're more expensive. but individually, some items are less expensive. for example, specialty produce: baby broccoli (broccolini) is cheaper at TJ's than other stores near me. but if I just want plain rear end broccoli, I'm spending $2.50/lb for a prepackaged pound at TJ's compared to the $2/lb price at a regular grocery store. cilantro, onions, potatoes are all more expensive at TJ's

If you want smoked salmon, it's cheaper at TJ's. if you want plain rear end bagels to go along with it, it's cheaper at a different grocery store. it's kind of a crap shoot.

For frozen single meals TJs is king when it comes to price/ql. Also their fresh herbs are way cheaper iirc, haven't been in a while. They're also the only place I can find cultured butter ever since Kroger stopped carrying the Vermont Creamery one

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Trader Joe's is not expensive. It's budget priced or just normal priced. They specifically only open stores in predominantly white and high-income areas so the misimpression is understandable, but I'd encourage people to give it a whirl.

That said I shop at Lidl :colbert: I get dog treats from TJ's though, 7 bucks, 3 cal per treat, lasts like 6 weeks.

how about you put the groceries in the bag

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Justin Tyme posted:

For frozen single meals TJs is king when it comes to price/ql. Also their fresh herbs are way cheaper iirc, haven't been in a while. They're also the only place I can find cultured butter ever since Kroger stopped carrying the Vermont Creamery one

if you normally only buy your herbs in the clamshell plastic containers, then yeah, they're cheaper. for things like dill, parsley, and cilantro that you buy in bunches, they're much more expensive because they only sell packaged herbs. like, the little plastic bags of cilantro for $2 are a total joke when I can get a huge bunch for 79 cents at a regular rear end grocery store. italian basil, on the other hand, is the cheapest at TJ's since you can normally only buy the clamshells anywhere

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I do remember Trader Joe's had cheap wine a long time ago (maybe they still do, though I think the cheapness was emphasized due to the lack of many other "cheap wine" options back then). When I was at this internship in Boston in college, it was a big deal that you could get this extremely cheap wine at Trader Joe's.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

two buck chuck, baybee

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

if you normally only buy your herbs in the clamshell plastic containers, then yeah, they're cheaper. for things like dill, parsley, and cilantro that you buy in bunches, they're much more expensive because they only sell packaged herbs. like, the little plastic bags of cilantro for $2 are a total joke when I can get a huge bunch for 79 cents at a regular rear end grocery store. italian basil, on the other hand, is the cheapest at TJ's since you can normally only buy the clamshells anywhere

Oh yeah, the clamshells are a ripoff if you can buy in bunches, but some stuff you can only get that way

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Crusty Nutsack posted:

how come the only cspam threads you post in are ones that deal with kind of insane american consumerism?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

how come the only cspam threads you post in are ones that deal with kind of insane american consumerism?

because I am an insane american consumer

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

two buck chuck, baybee

Was close to four bucks, last time I checked.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Four quarters seems quite affordable

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
the colors, man!!!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

snagged a bottle of andre brut for $5.99 last month and it felt like a steal even though that's double just a few years ago

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Joe Bidens America

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Joe Bidens America

yup

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
4 dollar Charles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU