Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
all the horror stories follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
just purchased a new impact, 4 isn't enough. still have a plethora of power tools i've never used or won't actually use.

guess its a dumb tool purchase thread

Munkeylord fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 18, 2023

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It depends.

Did you buy the cheapest stuff from Harbor Freight that might wheeze out 100 ft/lbs? Then yes, that's a dumb purchase. Or did you buy Milwaukee? Something in between? Maybe not a dumb purchase.

If you don't want some lower end factory blems/refurbs, sometimes for downright cheap prices, I'm probably not helping, For those in TX between Austin and San Antonio, they have an outlet store in San Marcos.

This (though I got it new, with a 4aH battery and charger, from Home Despot, for less) and this are what I use the most. HD and Direct Tools Outlet both run pretty decent sales around the holidays and father's day. These are "good enough" for a casual wrencher. Wouldn't use them for a job where I had to rely on them to make money, but for my own stuff they're fine.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 18, 2023

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
not seeing the hate on some of the HF tool selections available, just don't buy icon brand, over priced tools. i've had ryobo tools and the battery pack just didn't last, maybe 9 months. Can be fixed with some quality cells perhaps reinstalled. Im still rocking my kobalt sockets after like a decade, just purchased a quinn master impact and it's solid. probably going to get a quinn master set also cause 400 is cheap for something potentially great. I'm team yellow