Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 44 Aloy the Bounty Hunter

We get to be cops again, this time to track down some criminals. My favorite's the booby-trap canyon guy, despite getting lost in his canyon.

I could have swore Blackwing Slag was one of the camps where Nil spawns, but apparently not...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If you take down the Blackwing Slag camp before you accept the Bounty Hunter mission, later when you take the mission you’ll find your target on a lone tower in the middle feeling depressed. It’s still an easy fight.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 9, 2023

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE

Ep. 45 Forever Nil

Finally found Nil, and he's got a quest for us. My first playthrough I picked the other option and regretted it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Glad we spared Nil. That’s the canon decision.

The doctor is my favorite Shadow Carja NPC.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 46 Rescue Mission

Finishing up the Sunfall sidequests, the storyline of which ties up the Carja civil war story line in a neat little bow and features some great NPCs.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That cinematic of coming back to Brightmarket with Itamen is one of my favorite game scenes. Vanasha's frustration, Aloy's thousand-yard stare, Avad welcoming his brother... the emotions are awesome and well-displayed.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 47 Aloy the Master Hunter

Time for the final Cauldron and Hunting Grounds. I had just finished editing ep. 44 when I was recording this which is why I say ep. 45 in the video, oops.

You can technically get some of the Lodge weapons with just 15 Half Suns or Full Suns (the blast sling and the ropecaster respectively). Lodge weapons are the best you can get in your initial playthrough in the base game. New Game+ has a new weapon and outfit tier called Adept that have 4 mod slots. The DLC also has its own special weapon type, which I'll go through when we get there.

also yay platinum on the base game :toot:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congrats on your trophies! Great job.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE

Ep. 48 gently caress Ted Faro
Ep. 48a gently caress Ted Faro (no commentary over cutscenes)

Seriously, gently caress that guy. The way the quest builds up a sense of dread before you get to the room is awesome

Also, we finally have enough power cells to complete the Ancient Armory quest and get its reward. The Shield Weaver is the best general running around outfit in the game, but not necessarily the best in all situations.

achtungnight posted:

Congrats on your trophies! Great job.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Sylens is an amazing character and his aggressive efforts to unfuck his work instead of running away from it speaks for him, if the guy pays in blood, sweat and tears, you have to respect it at least somewhat.

Ted Faro is an rear end in a top hat and I don't understand how the rest of the survivors didn't sidetrack him, or shove him in a locker and weld it shut, or how the military didn't airlift him to any possible hole in the ground, gagged and bound and unable to execute on his bad ideas.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 49 Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Robo-wolf?

We're going to take a break from the main story for a while to complete the DLC, the Frozen Wilds. As mentioned in the video, Frozen Wilds is kind of a test bed for some things that crop up in Forbidden West. The most obvious improvement over the base game is graphical: note how much more animated the side quest dialog scenes are compared to the base game.

SIGSEGV posted:

Ted Faro is an rear end in a top hat and I don't understand how the rest of the survivors didn't sidetrack him, or shove him in a locker and weld it shut, or how the military didn't airlift him to any possible hole in the ground, gagged and bound and unable to execute on his bad ideas.

The only reason I can think of is that he has beyond gently caress-you money. The data points in the Maker's End mission mention a bunch of protests outside Faro HQ when the plague started and the Gaia Prime quest mentions he built his own bunker to hide out in, but there's not a whole lot of what he did in the interim. My guess is that he laid low from the public eye and eventually people were too busy fighting his robots to try to find him to kick his rear end.

I agree about Sylens, too.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Caught up on videos now, distracted by work and my own writing plus other anxiety.

The Banuk are my favorite tribe from the first game thx to the dlc. They’re very detailed and interesting. I like the robot wolves too. I also appreciate the game designers making every Tallneck and Cauldron challenge somewhat different. And the LPer’s excellent recording of them.

Sylens’ secret history makes him an even more interesting character. I appreciate his ability and Lance Reddick’s performance.

The less said about Ted Faro, the better. He makes a well-depicted villain whose actions- inadvertent and deliberate- should not be repeated, I’ll leave it at that.

I do not enjoy fighting Stormbirds.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 26, 2023

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE

Ep. 50 Robo Spirit in the Sky

Huge milestone, episode 50! :toot: Continuing on with the main quest for the DLC. I personally find the new machine we meet here, the Frostclaw, more difficult than the other new machine we've met so far. And the story bits we get are interesting. I really like the storyline for the DLC: the DLC main quest line doesn't have that many quests in it, but they do a really good job building up the story.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 51 Dam It

Waterlogged is probably the side quest people remember most about Frozen Wilds and a favorite for a bunch of people, myself included. I'm surprised that Last Girls on Earth isn't on the soundtrack as an actual song.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Gildan is indeed awesome. Voiced by the former host of Blue’s Clues too, if you didn’t know. :)

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 52 Everyone Hates Blevins

Blevins is a dick. Enjuk, the figurine guy, meanwhile is awesome.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Shrine of Forgotten Beasts, brought to you by Montana Recreations!

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 53 Survive and Prevail

Continuing on with the DLC story. The trial is timed; I generally hate timed trials but it's pretty generous. The fight here is easily the hardest in the game so far.

Also completing the Hunters Three sidequest, which is another popular one from the DLC. Spoilers if you want to know how all the choices play out, as it's one of the handful of times the choice has any affect on the game:

Compassion/heart icon: Scars of the North
Insight/brain icon: Shattered Hearts
Confrontation/fist icon: Nukoni's Arrows

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 54 Cultural Relatism

Time for more side quests, this time showing some of the more messed up sides of Banuk culture.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I like that they made all the cultures at least mildly hosed up, also that the internal violence is clearly diminishing them.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 55 Breaker of Many Things

Clearing up some of the last sidequests/errands before moving on to the rest of the DLC story. It didn't break my game permanently thankfully

SIGSEGV posted:

I like that they made all the cultures at least mildly hosed up, also that the internal violence is clearly diminishing them.

I do too, makes them seem more realistic.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Claws Beneath is one of the roughest fights in the DLC. Killed me twice before I got it first play through and I was on lowest difficulty. I was not prepared for a Rockbreaker in the ice world.

coop52
May 10, 2009

Claws Beneath is one of the hardest fights in the game period, IMO.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 56-1 Fire Everywhere (Part 1)
Ep. 56-2 Fire Everywhere (Part 2)

Finishing up the DLC story, though there's still some side stuff left to do. Overall I really liked the Frozen Wilds DLC and recommend getting it if you haven't yet.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 57 Apocashitstorm Collection Tour: Squirrel Rolling Down Mountain Edition

Collection time; there are a lot of collectables so there will be another episode to clean up the remaining. Also, more Fireclaw fun.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Fireclaws… fun?

These concepts are antithetical!

I’ll have faith you’ll guide us around the curves. ;)

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 58 Hunting Grounds: Cold Edition

Final hunting grounds in the game, with a bonus challenge with Ikrie. Ikrie's challange is fun, and the regular hunting grounds challenges are pretty good as well.

achtungnight posted:

Fireclaws… fun?

These concepts are antithetical!

Fireclaws can be fun if you like challenges.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Those who dislike spoilers should not visit the DLC Hunting Grounds early- they lock out the Chief’s Trial until you actually become a Chieftain. On the plus side, Jennifer Hale does an excellent job voicing the Gamekeeper.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 59 The Cleanup Video

Cleaning up the remaining trials, hunting grounds and collectables. I'll get the Bluegleam off camera since there's a lot of it left and want to continue on with the story next time.

Overall, I found the DLC hunting grounds to be one of the most fun ones, along with the one where you override the Ravager/Thunderjaw. Sleight of Crate is by far the worst of the hunting trials.

coop52
May 10, 2009

UPDATE
Ep. 60-1 Heal The World, Just a Little Bit Part 1
Ep. 60-1a Heal The World, Just a Little Bit Part 1 (no commentary over cutscenes)
Ep. 60-2 Heal The World, Just a Little Bit Part 2
Ep. 60-2a Heal The World, Just a Little Bit Part 2 (no commentary over cutscenes

Here we are, folks, the ending! I've added a timestamp for the post-credits scene on the Part 2 videos if you want to skip ahead.

I'll upload a bonus video I recorded of New Game+ Ultra Hard difficulty later this week.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thx for a great LP. Looking forward to Forbidden West.

The kind response to Helis is one of my favorite bits in the game. I like how Aloy has him turn his face to the sun in either that or the mean response.

Companions for the final battle I’ve found-

Nora
Sona
Teb
Varl
Nokona
Braves

Carja
Avad
Talanah
The love gone wrong chick
Priest Naman
The prison warden
Uthid & Vanasha
Nil

Banuk
Aratak
Ikrie

Oseram
Petra
Erend & the Vanguard

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 4, 2023

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I love the way it's made clear that yes, they're all here to help prevent the end of the world, but primarily they're showing up to help you.

coop52
May 10, 2009

kaosdrachen posted:

I love the way it's made clear that yes, they're all here to help prevent the end of the world, but primarily they're showing up to help you.

That's a good point, particularly with the Nora.

FINAL UPDATE

Bonus Video 1: Let's Try Ultra Hard
Bonus Video 2: I Ain't Ready for Ultra Hard

Bonus gameplay for New Game+ at Ultra Hard. Let's just say you need to prepare for it...

This is the final update of the LP. Thanks for watching! As I mentioned in the last video I really appreciate everyone who's watching and posting/lurking in the thread.

I plan on posting the thread for Forbidden West in a few weeks after the holidays are over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Congratulations on completing this, on my end, all the inventory janitoring didn't stop me from completing the game, but meant I had no taste for a second round.