Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It has come to my attention that there are a bunch of cooks wasting bench space with an enormous machine that only performs one task. A machine that - in most cases - is entirely redundant when you have a stove.

Rice cookers.

Are you loving around with a rice cooker to prepare one-off batches of rice? Throw it in the bin right now.

Here is how you prepare rice:
- Put rice in pot
- Add water. enough to cover it comfortably. no need to measure
- Boil for 12-15 minutes. It should say on the packet how long but if your rice company is in the pocket of Big Rice Cooker they may have omitted it and you will need to look it up online. Or just guess, you'll probably be right
- Drain
- Serve

If you haven't tried this method, and have been scraping burnt rice off the bottom of your lovely rice cooker, then please. I am begging you. Try this method. The resulting rice is fluffy and delicious.

Many people online claim that absorbtion is the only way to prepare rice. They are full of poo poo! Absorbtion is a waste of time and yeilds basically the same result except with a big risk of leaving a thick layer of burnt rice on the bottom of the pot/rice cooker. I don't know where the absorbtion meme came from but it needs to be countered.

Disclaimer: I do think rice cookers are useful in specific circumstances: if you are running a commercial kitchen, or if you are in a family that prepares rice three or more times a day. Or some other reason like you don't have a stove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

Boiling is good, particularly for basmati

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
wow thank god a guy who never posts here just showed up to explain how much smarter he is than everybody else

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

prayer group posted:

wow thank god a guy who never posts here just showed up to explain how much smarter he is than everybody else

Rice cooker fail-lord spotted

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I have a rice cooker and have never burned rice, ever. Thanks Zojirushi.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

You should try boiling it. You will save an arseload of hassle and bench space.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
this mf cooks on a bench

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I eat rice basically every day, often multiple times a day, and I've never owned a rice cooker. If I ever live in a big place and have lots of money I'll probably buy one but for now, I see no reason to have less space and less money for a machine that does something I can do quite well already with a pot.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Just get a Zojirushi and tell everyone. no one thinks youre an anime sex poest

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I'd not hate a rice cooker, but I'm not gonna buy one. I throw some amount of rice in a pot and use the first knuckle method. while it works to a boil I get the steak seasoned and into the air fryer. give the rice a stir and come back in 8ish minutes when the fryer dings, flip the steak and add couple mins, dump the rice into a boil, marvel at the pan being almost clean, add cheese to the rice, stir, take steak out, slice it and thrown it on the rice in the bowl. It's not easy, but I still think they are kinda cool for single use things. better than a toaster.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I like the crunchy base layer of rice, you will never get that with boiling

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Parboil some basmati for 6 to 8 minutes
Drain
Place in a buttered glass baking dish in the oven for 1h, tightly covered with tinfoil
Get tasty, well-separated grains of rice and that crispy layer at the bottom too.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Our Zojirushi Fuzzy Rice Cooker owns.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That's how I always cooked my rice until I got asian inlaws. I still do sometimes, like you can't make a good pilaf in a rice cooker.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

charliebravo77 posted:

Brrrmph posted:

Our Zojirushi Fuzzy Rice Cooker owns.

Yes, everyone should know about the little elephant that could. Can't go wrong. Makes quinoa for me as well.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's how I always cooked my rice until I got asian inlaws. I still do sometimes, like you can't make a good pilaf in a rice cooker.
Start it with the metal insert on the stove, then put it back in the rice cooker when you add water. Or depending on what you’re including, you may be able to do the toasting step in the microwave

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well I have an induction stove and the rice cooker pot is solid aluminum so it wouldn't work.

But still I don't see it becoming easier using a rice cooker even if I had an electric or gas range, cooking the whole thing to proper doneness, seasoning and tasting it as you go, just works better in a big sauce pan or wok, sometimes I add meat an fry and that first, before adding the rice. Which makes it more like Plov than Pilaf.

To be honest, I think the rice cooker is superflous, I think it's less effort to use a pot of water than pull out the rice cooker out of the cupboard, I just taste the rice to see when it's done, then I pour off the water. Same way I make pasta.

Still I have two dough mixers so I can't complain about my SO having one rice cooker.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Holding rice at safe temp is the biggest bonus I see for rice cookers, like cook the rice whenever and eat it when the other stuff is ready? Genius.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Big Rice Cooker is a top tier prison nickname.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

angerbeet posted:

Holding rice at safe temp is the biggest bonus I see for rice cookers, like cook the rice whenever and eat it when the other stuff is ready? Genius.

An induction stove can keep warm easily. Just set it to 1

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008
Just got my Neuro fuzzy yesterday. I put the rice and water in and pressed the cook button and then went and cleaned my home and played with my kids for 3 hours. I made dinner later and used the rice and it was delicious. Idk why anyone would have a negative opinion on how I cook my rice but you do you playboy.

Thanks for reading

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I just watched a video where someone heated their aromatics inside their rice cooker first before putting in the rice. Wild. I've never seen anyone do that before.

OP is wrong. We should be cooking MORE things in rice cooker.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

angerbeet posted:

I push a button at 8am then that poo poo is ready to eat for lunch and dinner with no oversight needed on my part. I will never give up my rice cooker for that convenience alone.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rice cookers are great.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Grand Fromage posted:

Rice cookers are great.

:hai:

You can set it and forget it, consistency, keeps rice warm, and makes porridge. I'd sooner give up my toaster.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.
I don't think there's anything particularly esoteric or difficult about making good rice on a range, but there's nothing wrong with using a rice cooker if you can afford one and have the space to store it.

While there's something to be said for knowing how to cook things without a dedicated appliance, the fact is that most appliances aren't about making a task possible, so much as easier and/or more convenient, thereby increasing the likelihood at these tasks will be undertaken.

By the logic in the OP, most people shouldn't own a slow cooker, a stand mixer, a hand mixer, a food processor, and so on because you can technically do the same things by hand, and you likely wouldn't be using them but every once in awhile. It's the same kind of obnoxious logic that led Alton Brown to lecture the audience how a fire extinguisher is the only "multitasker" in his kitchen (though I'm pretty sure he owns a can opener), and then build ridiculous and wasteful homebrew setups to uphold that statement.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
While I possess none of those things and chop my food by hand, i think my electric kettle is kind of excess and my air fryer mostly replaces the stove and oven. So, I can see the point even though I'm going to continue my rice cooking in a pot. No reason to argue against something just because I don't/won't have one.
A suppose also having a griddle isn't needed, but it is nice to make a pile of hot sandwiches. Rice away everyone.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

the thing about a rice cooker is it's one less thing you actively have to think about while you're juggling an assload of pans, and you are not going to make better rice than it does.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Spuckuk posted:

the thing about a rice cooker is it's one less thing you actively have to think about while you're juggling an assload of pans, and you are not going to make better rice than it does.

also it keeps it on standby, so you can just start it whenever and its ready to go

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
And some of them will sing you a little song, which is nice.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

need my rice cooker to sing me a song of the better times

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
> have been scraping burnt rice off the bottom of your lovely rice cooker

Buy a better rice cooker, op. It'll fix your smug

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
when my basmati is too mushy i get pissed

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Our rice cooker. As far as not being a rice cooker person, I do like this one. It's simple, primitive even. There is no teflon on the inside pot, nothing digital anywhere, that is good. I hope it never breaks and we have to buy something new and fancy with a bunch of beeps and boops in it.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Our rice cooker. As far as not being a rice cooker person, I do like this one. It's simple, primitive even. There is no teflon on the inside pot, nothing digital anywhere, that is good. I hope it never breaks and we have to buy something new and fancy with a bunch of beeps and boops in it.

Nice! What year do you suppose it was made in?

My Teflon is still good after two years but it's only a matter of time.

Can this be a rice cooker appreciation thread? Here's our Zojirushi, nothing special but it gets the job done. No basmati setting but a 2:1 water:rice mix on the sushi setting works well.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

The little elephant next to the logo is so cute. :3:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

BBQ Dave posted:

Nice! What year do you suppose it was made in?

Can't be that old, my SO bought it new in the 2010s sometime

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Amethyst posted:

You should try boiling it. You will save an arseload of hassle and bench space.

Hard to beat pressing one or two buttons on my rice pressure cooker

And it doubles as a pressure cooker

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Amethyst posted:

An induction stove can keep warm easily. Just set it to 1

Oh?? Just throw out all these perfectly good pots and pands and stoves and rice cookers to buy a richie-rich luxury range?? to please a moronic cheflets like you???? Ill pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
Rice cookers are great. Never had a bad batch from my cooker and if I forget about it for 30 minutes it doesn't matter. It also cooks oatmeal or pretty much any grain perfectly. I've even made lentils in it.

I basically use my rice cooker and instant pot/air fry for basically everything. Can't think of why I even have a stove anymore other than boiling water for pasta. But I bet I could do it in my instant pot.