Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A good friend of mine, who is older than me and not PC/internet savvy at all, confided in me that he and his wife of many years are going through some relationship problems and he wants to check into the possibility of some couples counseling.... asking me for advice on how to find one. He's pretty old school so actually asking for help and not just "dealing with it by leaving" is a good sign.

Why is he asking me? I'm kinda the "go to" guy and we've been friends for a long time.

My first gut is just ask his family Dr for a referral, but he is kinda "friendly" with his family Dr so I don't think he wants to involve them in personal matters like this. The only other thing I can think of is literally googling "Marriage Counselor" <XYZ city> but that sounds like only the place with the best internet presence is going to come up which is probably not the best professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005
Since no one else replied - your state/national association of therapists or psychologists should have a listing with bios. If your friend has an employee assistance program through work they can also help.

Read the bios, find one that seems like they will be a good fit and schedule a session. It’s common to go through a few sessions with several to find a good fit. Not liking your therapist isn’t a reason to stop, it’s a reason to find a new one.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
And even then, you need to just go and see if they vibe with the counselor. It's a process. Took my wife and I a couple of first meets to find one we were both happy with.

Heck, my first therapist I went through a half dozen first meetings.

uwimage
Jan 26, 2009
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I found this article very useful when I started.

Also, a mental health professional in a thread 15 years ago said it was good.

https://www.metanoia.org/choose/index.html