Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The closure of the Internet Culture Warriors thread was a disaster for this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Perhaps those threads need a dedicated IK? I personally don't follow them, so I only see problematic posts when they're reported.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Perhaps those threads need a dedicated IK? I personally don't follow them, so I only see problematic posts when they're reported.

I don’t think he’s saying there’s problematic posts, just that both threads focus on making fun of racist tweets and he wish they’d make fun of other things too.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

There's gotta be a better way!

I've been wondering if I should just ban that one guy who immediately posts bigotry or something edging towards it (until they think it's safe to post outright bigotry immediately) within minutes of them exiting probation

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I've been wondering if I should just ban that one guy who immediately posts bigotry or something edging towards it (until they think it's safe to post outright bigotry immediately) within minutes of them exiting probation

On the one hand maybe Jeff makes :10bux: more.

On the other hand chain probes will probably make them madder.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ha, that solves that mystery. If there's distinct discussion in both, and people who browse one or the other understand the difference, is it mostly confusing because the thread titles make them sound similar?

Would it help to put a note at the top of the first posts in each explaining what kind of topics get discussed there, and pointing to the other thread if they're looking for discussion that fits in the other thread better?

there's not really a distinct difference. both kind of muddle in slightly different ways. i don't think any clarification is needed, i don't think either needs to change. unless they're generating hundreds of reports, just leave them alone and let us hide inside our old computers/video cameras/clock collections.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't personally feel it necessary to be protected from specific kinds of stupidity if I click on the stupid people on the internet thread.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arivia posted:

there's not really a distinct difference. both kind of muddle in slightly different ways. i don't think any clarification is needed, i don't think either needs to change. unless they're generating hundreds of reports, just leave them alone and let us hide inside our old computers/video cameras/clock collections.

That's fine, figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't personally feel it necessary to be protected from specific kinds of stupidity if I click on the stupid people on the internet thread.

Where does "protection" tie into this?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I think that racist tweets in the Twitter threads should be a "post at your own risk" situation instead of blanket banned.

Factors should include:

1: Is the person who made this tweet anyone of significance?

And/or

2. Is this actually funny in any way or just ugly and gross?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

Where does "protection" tie into this?

As in, I click on the idiots thread because I want to see the uttermost depths of human stupidity. I can't say I would make a distinction between people just being breathtakingly horrible people and any other form of stupidity, nor would I say I have noticed a particular change in the content of the thread other than that the forms of stupidity prevalent on social media, broadly track with whatever the moral panic of the moment is. Which is to be expected.

I don't really see a need to change the threads?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The way I see it, posting Characters of the Day in the Twitter thread is fine, but posters of lesser power can stay in IOSM.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Platystemon posted:

The closure of the Internet Culture Warriors thread was a disaster for this forum.

How so?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Our containment zone was removed and it spread to the forums at large.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Hello, I had a little general feedback based on this part of the op-

quote:

We want this to be a nice place where goons can hang out and discuss things we like without much nonsense.
In my recent experiences since posting more in this forum, this is pretty much how I feel. Both the staff and the posters have been pretty nice and helpful! The hangout, discuss, less nonsense vibes feel very good. I've been trying to respond in kind. Thank you, keep it up!

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Inceltown posted:

Our containment zone was removed and it spread to the forums at large.

What is "Internet Culture Warriors" exactly?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it sounds like "bad tweets"

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Any chance food derails can be clipped? Whenever someone is slightly wrong about physics or pizza, you can guarantee that at least 10 pages of thread can be skipped, but at least the science nerds thing doesn't happen as often.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

Any chance food derails can be clipped? Whenever someone is slightly wrong about physics or pizza, you can guarantee that at least 10 pages of thread can be skipped, but at least the science nerds thing doesn't happen as often.

You can't spell pizza without IPAzz

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If there is an ongoing derail, please feel free to report it.

HBomb
Sep 26, 2004

All aboard.
The meme thread, the funny pictures thread and the GIF thread are all becoming unusable because people won't shut the gently caress up and post memes, funny pictures and GIFs, respectively.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol "becoming"

get some thread iks imo. do it koos style and just slap the buttons on random bystanders

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Random derails have been a thing since threads started. People made addons over a decade ago to strip all text from posts so you could just browse the images in threads if you wanted.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

HBomb posted:

The meme thread, the funny pictures thread and the GIF thread are all becoming unusable because people won't shut the gently caress up and post memes, funny pictures and GIFs, respectively.

I'm actually having the exact opposite problem I can't read those threads on my phone because of massive walls of gifs that take forever to load.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

On Awful app you can change the number of posts per page, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I love PYF :) My only "issues" with it are very minor & specific and pertain to specific threads, but they aren't as a result of mod/IK shortcomings or anything, they're more of a pet peeve (not related to the pet peeve thread).