Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Yes, this is a TV show loosely based on the movie of the same name. Instead of focusing on the men as the movie does, the TV show focuses more on the women of the story. This show is HELLA Oakland (California Bay Area)

Movie trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-HBqVbtTo

I didn't see a thread for season 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCtdIC666Ec

Season 2 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tWaD6jLE04

Season 2 starts April 14 on the STARZ tv channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, absolutely loved season 1, even better than the movie. Can’t wait for more!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Blindspotting season 1 was my favorite show of 2021. From the TVIV Top Ten of 2021 list:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

1. Blindspotting, Season 1 (Starz). The biggest and most pleasant surprise on this list, which my wife and I didn’t watch until the final few days of 2021. Most people have probably never heard of it (because who subscribes to Starz?), but the show is a wonderful spinoff of one of my favorite movies of 2018, also called Blindspotting. The writer-stars of the original movie, the multitalented Rafael Casal and Daveed Diggs, are the writer-showrunners of the series, and Casal reappears as his character from the movie, Miles, who is arrested and sentenced to five years in prison in the first episode. The main character of the show is Ashley, Miles’ loyal, resourceful girlfriend, played by the amazing Jasmine Cephas Jones (best known for playing Peggy Schuyler and Maria Reynolds in the original cast of Hamilton, alongside Daveed Diggs). Cephas Jones is such a talent! This show should be a star-making vehicle for her. Her Ashley does everything she can to keep the family together with Miles incarcerated, including moving herself and their precocious son in with Miles’ ex-hippie revolutionary mom in their old Oakland neighborhood.

The show is so warm, funny, and charming, with such a strong sense of place and a world that feels “lived in,” populated by real characters who have spent their lives in this community, together. It has terrific dialogue and some truly heartwarming moments of joy. It’s hilarious, but it’s not a straight-up comedy by any standard. Like the movie, Blindspotting can also be heartbreaking, touching on issues of race, but especially taking a stand against the unfair prison-industrial complex, the complicit criminal justice system, the pointless “war on drugs,” and the collateral damage they inflict on innocent families. Oh yeah, Ashley and other characters also deliver gorgeous spoken word poetry segments as asides to the audience, with lyrics that sound as much like Shakespeare as they do East Bay hip hop. Every episode also features dreamlike interpretive dance sequences that are beautiful enough to bring you to tears. Even a dummy like me can tell exactly what each dance sequence represents, and how they propel the plot forward. I’m not going to keep my Starz subscription any longer than I have to, but this show was renewed for a well-deserved second season, and you bet I’ll resubscribe for it!

Between the return of Party Down last month and the return of Blindspotting next month, I have already resubscribed, locking down the deal of $20 for six months of Starz.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This is a really good show. It's a musical but with an emphasis on dance and movement rather than singing. (Though yeah, there's spoken word stuff as well.) And the characters are really good too; they feel authentic but heightened particularly Earl -- I loving love Earl, with his tragicomic ankle monitor -- Ashley's a really likable lead too.

I haven't seen the show for two years but a lot of it's stuck with me, like the extension cord dance, or all the waiting room sequences -- there's a lot of waiting when you're looking for stable work or just dealing with the system, and the show found a pretty good take on dealing with bureaucracy that's familiar ground, sure, but presented in a way that's less well trodden.

Great loving show, I think it was in my top ten that year as well.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This has started now! I finished a rewatch of s1 last night and can confirm it’s still phenomenal. Will start this season this evening.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I'm half way through the second episode, its a little more over the top this year.

I wish they would acknowledge Covid a little bit. But I understand its more a focus on the prison system and its impact on families.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm half way through the second episode, its a little more over the top this year.

Oh yeah, the whole pinata number was like something out of a different show. Didn't hate it, but I wasn't expecting something so goofy or bawdy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked that as the show’s flights of fancy becoming something more akin to magical realism. Premiere was pretty good but second episode was killer. Loved it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I do think this season's become a lot more wild -- the whole BEES sequence as monkey cheese, though I laughed and the fight choreo was awesome. Like, genuinely the best fight I've seen in a while.

tbh I was expecting something more circumspect and a bit moodier, like last season often was. But perhaps that's a deliberate contrast that they're pushing in these episodes; the second episode, in particular, as about how none of the characters seem to have it within them to "have fun" or be naturally upbeat, so pumping up the chaos around them is meant to act as a contrast of some kind? Iunno, we'll see.

But, still, for me the best subplot was Earl's. Not the ridiculous poo poo with his housemates doing VR bullshit, but the stuff at the restaurant and particularly the scene in the street at the end, with the sad brass music.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

tbh I was expecting something more circumspect and a bit moodier, like last season often was.

Well…….

(203 was incredible)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, that was great. When Rainey started talking on the steps I was hoping she'd get a rap monologue and not just a monologue monologue and then she did and she loving killed it.

And that dance number owned. I wanted it to go longer, it felt like we only saw the edited highlights.

Criminal lack of Earl this year IMO. And I miss the set up with the two houses jammed together, though I like that it kind of returned with the prison housing set this week. That was a great scene too.

Just want more.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Open Source Idiom posted:

Just want more.

!!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hilarious episode lmfao. And here some Earl!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Making me want to go back to Santa Cruz

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

The Kung Fu (?) between Janelle and M was kinda corny :lol:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Caught up. This season's been going hard on the guest stars. Bascoe, Joe Taslim, Chase Williamson. Dunno music people, I'm a loving actor nerd, but them too.

Probably should get around to watching Hook one day.

Eight episode seasons are the loving worst, particularly for half hours, but this season's making the most of it. The fourth ep (Halloween) was really loving good, loved so loving much of it. Earl's loving crown, that swordfighting shot with the shadows (film reference I'm guessing, but it was tight), that other full shot of the loving rollercoaster where the two up front are miserable and the two up back are laughing it up. Great loving stuff.

Fifth ep weakest of the season maybe, but I like what they were doing. Don't think the cuts between the two subplots came together the way they wanted in the edit. Taslim's not really an actor either, but he does what he does pretty loving well.

What youse reckon are the chances on a third season? Zero? Near zero? Euugh, I like this show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thought Meatfest was really just the show moving pieces around to actually pay off some arcs and do some drama, after a season of (really good) playing around.

I didn't think I was super into it, other than the loving white people clicker gag, but the ending nailed it anyway. Renew this loving show already.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t dislike the Western one but when you have an eight-episode season it’s not the kind of diversion I personally want. Didn’t mind Meatfest but yeah could have been funnier. Really want this to get a season 3 aaaahhhhhhhh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Good finale. Very much a safety ending in case they're not renewed, but sweet and solid.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah agreed with all that. And the song was fuckin amazing

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah agreed with all that. And the song was fuckin amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

I haven't been feeling this season, but yeah, episode 8 the finale was really good.