Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I've recently switched from windows to mac and I've been trying to transfer my files from an ntfs drive to a newly formatted apfs one.

I downloaded https://www.paragon-software.com/home/apfs-windows/ to be able to mount the apfs drive under windows and all was well until today. Yesterday I left copying around 800gb worth of files from one drive to another (but stuoid me used the cut option, not copy). Before I went to bed it was copying fine, a few hours left to be done. Today when I woke up, the drive was blank, as if it was formatted. The files are gone. Is there anything I can do to restore whatever happened?

I think I have another backup copy somewhere, but its at least a year old and not with all the files I lost.

edit: well, just tried replugging reveral times and now at least I see the drive under windows, it says 600gb are used up but I cant see the files.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

El Laucha posted:

edit: well, just tried replugging reveral times and now at least I see the drive under windows, it says 600gb are used up but I cant see the files.

I'd try some of the programs here and see if you can find the files: https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, i ended up using a recovery software, got over 100k files back.

Only problem is that they are unnamed (like excel-1.xls, excel2.xls, etc.). I have like 5k excel files and I need to find 1 lol, gently caress me.

Good thing I have another backup somewhere, even if its 1 year old.