Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

That Bay Area living sure is different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I can't help myself but overwork. I just want to be a slightly above average, good employee, and I think I do average out that way, but only by bouncing between extremes. I inevitably gently caress up hard somewhere, so I overwork to preemptively make up for it. When getting hired at my current job, my boss said they were trying to figure out how best to "exploit" my talents. The general trend has been that I'm a great employee, and being "great" is the only feedback I ever really get, but then I do something bafflingly stupid. Here, I think they're having trouble deciding if they should promote me or fire me. Actually, I don't think they're having trouble with the first one.

I've definitely had some coworkers get jealous of the positive attention I've gotten, and it's uncomfortable.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

YoursTruly posted:

I've definitely had some coworkers get jealous of the positive attention I've gotten, and it's uncomfortable.

I've had lovely managers tell struggling coworkers "Why can't you be more like Snowglobe?" during their monthly reviews

:wtc:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Coworker with a banger rear end in a top hat, they called him the Peter Suction on account of hob gobbing on Rod. Rose up out the ocean like a whale, whole lip rippled with surf. He died in a pod hotel with fingers curled about his prod.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I just want a burly bear of a man to stretch my anus

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

pencilhands posted:

That's ok

Thank you Trash Mammal. Welcome to dog world b*tch*s

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY journeyman SIGSMITH Luvcow

https://i.imgur.com/EebjYYe.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Official height endorsed by a medical professional: 5'11.5"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pencilhands posted:

How wide in inches

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

pencilhands posted:

I've come across a few of these people and it always mystifies me

Get hired at a place that's more or less chill, lovely McJob people put in good enough work to keep the place running but don't kill themselves either. This guy/girl rolls up new and starts absolutely busting rear end going as quickly as possible every day, working circles around everyone else. given that it's a stupid minimum wage/dead end type gig management doesn't give a poo poo and they don't get a raise or promotion for this. Instead of toning down their work ethic to everyone else's level or quitting they get more and more resentful of their coworkers and not management, ranting about how they work harder than everyone else.

wtf is their deal? and this isn't a boomer thing either i've seen it in zoomers for christsake.

been that person myself when i was early 20's

showed up to a new job (dead end job for me, just to pass the time) at a printing factory, where they made magazines and stuff by the pallet load

so i show up, get shown; ok you put a stack of stuff here, push it through, after a few seconds it comes out the other side and you can stack it over here

rinse repeat for 10 hours a day

i had a good work ethic, so i went to town, as fast as that machine would take the stack i would have it ready to go, lightning fast

one of the old timers on the line goes 'hey buddy, you can go like that as fast as you want, but there is still going to be another million of those stacks coming tomorrow'

so i slowed down enough to not seem super try hard, but as it is i only lasted at the job for a solid week before having enough of the soulless grind and quitting

some of the people that i met there were quite happy though, they come in push stacks of paper around, and go home. they'd been doing it for 20-30 years and had a house, cottage, cars, took vacations, the whole shebang. all you had to give up was your soul for 10 hours a day

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

pencilhands posted:

I've come across a few of these people and it always mystifies me

Get hired at a place that's more or less chill, lovely McJob people put in good enough work to keep the place running but don't kill themselves either. This guy/girl rolls up new and starts absolutely busting rear end going as quickly as possible every day, working circles around everyone else. given that it's a stupid minimum wage/dead end type gig management doesn't give a poo poo and they don't get a raise or promotion for this. Instead of toning down their work ethic to everyone else's level or quitting they get more and more resentful of their coworkers and not management, ranting about how they work harder than everyone else.

wtf is their deal? and this isn't a boomer thing either i've seen it in zoomers for christsake.

For all the pretence that schooling prepares you for the real world it doesn't really teach you how to effectively navigate the working world OP, don't blame that person they almost certainly don't know any better and think they're getting ahead in the long run by doing that.

Just pick up the niche poo poo nobody else wants to do, get good at that poo poo so it becomes easy for you but seems impossibly difficult for everyone else, everyone will be super impressed that you're the niche guy and give you free reign to do whatever the gently caress you want after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The niche poo poo in my career is actually all the client management, project management and budgeting things, and because I find these somewhat tolerable and also don't want to blow out my knees by 35 I have been somehow making progress career wise.