Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Well there's no point fighting for your freedom from fundamentalist tyranny if doing so would be a bit hypocritical, best go home everyone and transform into Little Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Hey none of y'all answered my questions from before:

Compared to these protests, what was the turnout like last time Israel saw an actual anti-occupation protest? Were you there?

Because unless the vast majority of these folks taking to the streets are also in favour of dismantling the Israeli government and ending the genocide they're committing, I couldn't give less of a gently caress about their plight.

this almost certainly American late-30s comfortably financially secure man who has never faced a significant hardship in his entire life is a badass and he IS ABOUT TO BLOW

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Strategic Tea posted:

Well there's no point fighting for your freedom from fundamentalist tyranny if doing so would be a bit hypocritical, best go home everyone and transform into Little Russia.

We need Norm more than ever

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

this almost certainly American late-30s comfortably financially secure man who has never faced a significant hardship in his entire life is a badass and he IS ABOUT TO BLOW

Wrong on every count except late-30s.

gently caress Israel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX1oH9jnx3c

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Everyone in this thread please let us know if you are good or evil.

As for your question, there hasn't been a massive turnout to any Palestinian related cause in my own living memory (so let's say 15-20 years).

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

im evil and i want the palestinians to win

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
yeah I support BDS

Balls Dicks and Scrotes

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kiminewt posted:

As for your question, there hasn't been a massive turnout to any Palestinian related cause in my own living memory (so let's say 15-20 years).

Exactly.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mister Speaker posted:

Hey none of y'all answered my questions from before:

Compared to these protests, what was the turnout like last time Israel saw an actual anti-occupation protest? Were you there?

Because unless the vast majority of these folks taking to the streets are also in favour of dismantling the Israeli government and ending the genocide they're committing, I couldn't give less of a gently caress about their plight.

Nobody's obligated to answer any posts

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mister Speaker posted:

Wrong on every count except late-30s.

gently caress Israel.
The protests are against a power grab by an all-but-outright cheerleader of West Bank settlement and genocide of Palestinians, but please, tell us more about how Israel and the people who live there deserve this.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Pack it in, israeliures

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The protests are against a power grab by an all-but-outright cheerleader of West Bank settlement and genocide of Palestinians, but please, tell us more about how Israel and the people who live there deserve this.

They elected him.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I don't think anyone deserves it, but the average israeli protester shouldn't be surprised and they should expect it to keep happening and getting worse

it's hard to stop at just a little bit of fascist oppression and genocide of a minority

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

im evil and i want the palestinians to win

Same, but I also want Bibi to lose

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

kiminewt posted:

Chaotic Neutral :twisted:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

kiminewt posted:

I'm definitely good

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why can't people elect well meaning centrists that do bad stuff with decorum instead of assholes :(

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

Still laughing at the Israeli poster itt who said that Israeli police never kill anybody and that the Arab population needs to be policed harder for their own good.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

what if I think poorly of Israel but think Jews own? How am I supposed to own up to this?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

HORNEY VAPE BRO posted:

Still laughing at the Israeli poster itt who said that Israeli police never kill anybody and that the Arab population needs to be policed harder for their own good.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
Israel pretending that there's some way out of this poo poo is as laughable as the United States pretending there's a way out of whatever the gently caress we've done in the US to ourselves with guns and Trump: sorry, guys, you did it! You got your apartheid dictator state and it sucks dick! Whoops!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
They’re gonna Sideshow Bob themselves by outing this guy and electing Adolf Hitler 2, But Jewish in his place

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DGP Space Lion posted:

As for your questions:
- Israeli police doesn't kill anybody but they do use limited amounts of force (mostly water cannons and horses) to disperse the crowds. They didn't do anything last night because they knew it would lead to a disaster if they tried to bring in horses to a closed area with thousands of angry people inside so they waited almost until morning until most people left. Ben Gvir is very upset about not being able to hurt the protestors more but so far the police isn't taking the risk

- If anything the police mostly ignores Arabs. This is not a good thing for them, the crime rates in Arab towns are incredibly high. Yet another thing that will explode in our face eventually (Pretty much every problem we have today existed in 1948 and was ignored for decades)

More later hopefully

I hope Bibi himself takes a poo poo down your throat op. stay safe

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Sorry to be an apologist for that guy but he's technically correct. The people you see killing / harrasing / whatever Palestinians are military police, which are a completely separate group to the "regular" police whicu acts inside Israel-proper.

He was referring specifically to "Arab-Israelis"/Palestinian-Israelis which are Palestinians who live inside Israel (i.e. Not in Gaza, the west bank or east Jerusalem), and they are policed by the regular police. In their specific case police does not kill them, though they are discriminated against both in laws and very often just in society.

This is all, of course, of little comfort to the Palestinians in the occupied territories, but

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Millions of Israelis being in the streets and doing a general strike over some dumb bougie bullshit that would 0 practical impact on their day to day lives is an indictment of israelis.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kiminewt posted:

they are policed by the regular police. In their specific case police does not kill them, though they are discriminated against both in laws and very often just in society.
interesting stuff :shuckyes:

https://www.972mag.com/14-israeli-citizens-gunned-police-one-indictment/

https://www.amnesty.org.uk/blogs/campaigns-blog/israeli-police-used-ruthless-excessive-force-against-palestinian-protesters

also check out how many were killed by israeli cops in this list:
https://mondoweiss.net/2022/12/231-palestinians-were-killed-this-year-these-are-their-stories/

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I like how Palestinians are so hosed at this point that they don't even factor into this conversation, just Arab Israelis not being policed enough and how awful it is that Benji could be democratic dictator for another 20 years after being democratic dictator for 20 years

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The context was clearly about the protests, you can stop melting down

Fumble posted:

So you can protest there with out being loving shot, gassed and a tank driven over you house?

DGP Space Lion posted:

As for your questions:
- Israeli police doesn't kill anybody but they do use limited amounts of force (mostly water cannons and horses) to disperse the crowds. They didn't do anything last night because they knew it would lead to a disaster if they tried to bring in horses to a closed area with thousands of angry people inside so they waited almost until morning until most people left. Ben Gvir is very upset about not being able to hurt the protestors more but so far the police isn't taking the risk

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Schweinhund posted:

The context was clearly about the protests, you can stop melting down

israeli police kill Palestinians like this but the IDF kill Palestinians like that.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I never claimed there are zero deaths, just trying to make a distinction. That last list is again of Palestinians killed in the occupied territories, not of Israeli citizens. I am not trying to minimise the death and suffering of the Palestinians but it's just not the context in whcih we are talking about.

This was originally about how the police can manage to disperse a protest without people getting killed. Showing that the entire Israeli police force killed 14 people (both Arabs and jews) throughout one year tells you that the overwhelming majority of police officers are not remotely involved in killing.

This is what apartheid and occupation is about. There are two systems for different people. The Arab Israelis are far better off than the ones in the occupied territories, but they are still second class citizens.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

sounds like netanyahu should have spent more time running his country and less time fiddling around with his motorcycle imo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Call Your Grandma posted:

sounds like netanyahu should have spent more time running his country and less time fiddling around with his motorcycle imo

it's probably good for the Palestinians that he didn't

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Terminal autist posted:

Millions of Israelis being in the streets and doing a general strike over some dumb bougie bullshit that would 0 practical impact on their day to day lives is an indictment of israelis.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

kiminewt posted:

The Arab Israelis are far better off than the ones in the occupied territories, but they are still second class citizens.

To add to this, and keeping in mind the distinction between Palestinians living in the occupied territories under military rule, who have basically zero rights, and those living in Israel as citizens (i.e. Arab-Israelis), who ostensibly have equal rights to Jewish Israelis... The Israeli state is institutionally racist and discriminatory toward the Arab-Israeli population. Their communities are underfunded and under-supported in everything - education, infrastructure, social services, etc. Israeli police ignoring those communities is a symptom of that discrimination, in that a crime there is far less likely to be prevented or investigated than in Jewish communities, and far more likely to simply be treated with an indifferent shrug.

In that context I read the OP's post as a criticism of this situation rather than an attempt to minimize or even encourage oppression by Israel towards its Arab citizens. I totally understand if people are skeptical or suspicious and would rather not extend OP the benefit of the doubt considering the amount of frothing racism rampant in Israeli society, but personally I'm like 99% sure that was the intent. I also get if people don't see a meaningful distinction between Israel's treatment of the Palestinians who are not its citizens vs those who are, but in terms of understanding the intent behind the OP I think it's relevant. It was clumsily worded but I genuinely don't think there was malice in it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The israeli constitution has a nice rider stating only Jewish israelis have the right of national self determination in Israel, which is pretty racist no matter how you cut it.

If arab list somehow got into government there is a good chance the right wing would argue they cannot be in government because of this.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

There is no Israeli constitution. The are "Basic Laws" and one like the one you mentioned which was introduced a few years back. The dumb thing is that they can get passed with a simple majority, which is part of the issue with the current clusterfuck.

There was an Arab (Islamic) party in the previous government. There were various attempts to get them (and others banned) since it is indeed illegal for a party to be against Israel as a "democratic Jewish state".

I honestly hate Israel, and it's governments (even the left). I don't know how I came to play apologist in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yeah so idk where this conversation has headed, and Passover is soon so it's unlikely anything is going to happen in the next couple of weeks so I'ma close this thread for a bit