Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Omnicrom posted:

Ranking of Kings: Treasure Box of Courage: As the one weirdo in the thread who liked the back half of Ranking of Kings (except the midpoint of the penultimate episode) I thought I'd be really on board with more stories involving these characters in this world and I just wasn't. I dropped this after 2 episodes because it felt like a marked step down from the main series. Ranking of Kings was incredibly good at storytelling, did some very deft character work, and had some really good action and shot composition and this spinoff had very little of that. The whole thing just felt slapped together and that's really disappointing.
You should watch the last episode, bizarrely enough it is plot critical and continues where the first season ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The episodes with segments directed by the S1 ED directors are also very nice just for the style changes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So this is going to be a thing for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaBR58f7I0

Honestly, I'm slightly intrigued. Its being written by the ReZero author. I'm not sure if that is a good thing or not.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 3, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wtf, another Isekai? Didn't we get enough of that in Batman Ninja.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Honestly, yeah, pretty good season.

Oshi no Ko: It's funny to think about that guy who came in the anime thread once to go all y'all are not ready for the IMMENSE PAIN bc the first ep of this failed to get me in that way and it takes till the middle third for the show to even get what I'd call very dramatic. Ai/Aqua later on handle everything so deftly, the way this show's dramatic chops simply weren't impressing me much till we got to characters who actually go thru poo poo, like Akane and Kana Arima(best girl, and it's not particularly close) and I have a reason to perk up beyond all the nifty showbiz exposition, and more importantly, someone to root for. Was rooting big time for Shin B Komachi by the end, and watching the social media-saavy ways producers pushed the show irl was a hoot.

Vinland Saga S2: Don't really have any complaints. A sterling arc of storytelling adapted w a careful hand. Thorfinn and Einar's struggles are heartwrenching and life-affirming all at once, and I'm kinda glad I put off the manga to experience the arc this way. Def did not see how that situation worked out coming.

Demon Slayer: it may be the scooty puff jr of the current shounen adaptations, but when DS hits, it hits hard. This was basically a powerup arc, so most of the fun comes from watching the turnups, and hoo boy did it not dissapoint on that front. Muichiro w his snarkyass mouth is an appealing flavor of lil poo poo compared to Zenitsu and sometimes, ya like seeing some op shounen protags just stunt on some particularly obnoxious baddies. It sure sticks to those fight manga fundamentals; battle, flashback, turnup, battle, flashback, turnup; characters coming to each others' rescue back to back to back per fight, sometimes in the same episode; but w Ufotable puttin out work like this, its hard to complain.

Magical Girls Magical Destroyers: had a very good time w this one! The cast interactions bw Otaku Hero and the girls are a bit warmer and less harem comedy than the (incredible) OP would lead you to believe, which helps a lot, but honestly, it's a lot like Vlad Love for me on this one; even when the show's sense of humor aren't what's making me laugh(which is often), the specific combination of just how weird it it, how lil fucks it gives, the palpable 2000's-core vibes and just its general confidence swoop me up along w it and I was literally never bored. I suppose I just respect the energy and what the animators were doing here. They straight up throw a punk concert in one of the last episodes and it rules.

Mashle: this wound up filling the same cozy niche as that isekai cooking show from season before last, in that it's cute-enough, very-low-calorie stuff where every episode is exactly the same. Mashle treats being a gymrat in the same way Baki treats knowing karate; it makes you an untouchable perfect wunderkind among Men, and anybody w poo poo to say about, the universe itself bends inward to swiftly punish them.

Ranking of Kings: Treasure Chest of Courage: the way the last two months or so of this were actually p drat good, but yall wouldn't know that lol. It's literally just a lil more of a kid's show then before.

Heaven's Delusion: I don't feel any way in particular about how this cour ends or about the protags. Mostly enjoyed this as a handsomely produced roadtrip mystery that can flip between fun and spooky on a dime.

Hell's Paradise: mid death game-type thing. The speed of shifting allegiances, evolving powersets and mysteries kept me goin here, bc it wasn't the character writing or the boring female co-lead.

Gundam: Witch from Mercury: Gundam:The Messy Bitch Who Lives For Drama as I like to call it. The way the first cour was so much more fun than the second; much more Miorine, much more loving off from the duels themselves to knock some cheaters the gently caress out behind the scenes, some of my fave scenes in gundam anything. Ending was cute and hopeful, Mio and Suletta got the fluffy happy end they deserved. EDIT: I get it,but Prospera gets off a lil easy for my taste. All I'm gonna say on that.

Pokemon Horizons:Pokemon Ducktales w an introvert girl protag: pretty good! Sun/Moon and Journeys set a very high bar for character expression that Horizons doesn't even try to match(w human characters anyway), but expressiveness can mean more than just what's going on w the face and the character acting is good enough to sell who everyone is right away. The storytelling is dealing w different, slightly more nuanced emotions and topics re: Liko than we ever saw w Ash, who I think is supposed to be slightly older than him,and there's a larger crew of cool adults who we get to know at the same time. The tone is just different enough to feel like a p ballsy choice, and the pokemon themselves are still cute as a button. The Journeys fan in me is getting impatient for them to get to the fun episodic adventures and blow past all the setup already, but if they're going for something truly new, I'll just hafta wait n see and give it a chance

Golden Kamuy: so, so happy this came back. The way this story can really be whatever tone it feels like. Serial murderers in the woods, JO battles in the streets. Tanigaki and Inkarmat on the run was the tensest viewing this side of Vinland Saga. Gotta slide the OP some love; the way I fully expected to never hear from ALI again.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 3, 2023

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i like how you put a spoiler on some minor thing in the kamuy synopsis but not on what was probably the highest point of tension for people who haven't finished g-witch yet

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Patware posted:

i like how you put a spoiler on some minor thing in the kamuy synopsis but not on what was probably the highest point of tension for people who haven't finished g-witch yet

Fair point, but posting in here instead of finishing G-witch is just misplaced priorities.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pootybutt posted:

Fair point, but posting in here instead of finishing G-witch is just misplaced priorities.

i didn't finish g-witch yet because i watch it with a group and one of them had a major mental crisis and has been in a hospital for a few weeks

people got poo poo going on

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
In order of enjoyment (though I liked them all):

Oshi No Ko - If you can get past the strange intro and premise (in the manga, I couldn't, but I should give that another try), this is excellent. Fine production, great pacing, fun and lovable characters. I looked forward to this the most every week and eagerly await the next season. A

Witch From Mercury - The first gundam I watched! As it finished I have some mixed feelings, though. I loved the first cour, enjoyed most of the second, but by the end it was moving at a breakneck pace and wrapped up way too quickly. I don't think it quite stuck the landing. Actually it reminds me a little bit of Lycoris Recoil... these anime succeed largely on the backs of its main protagonist (Suletta and Chisato would get along pretty well together, don't you think?), but the actual story is kind of silly if you think too hard about it. WfM either needed 3-4 extra episodes or a simpler plot. Anyway I don't mean to criticize too much, just that this was very good and it felt like it could've been great. B+

Birdie Wing - Still a very fun show, but the ending was a little disappointing and the second cour seemed to just hit a lot of the same points over and over again. Part of the fun of the first cour was watching them play in ridiculous conditions, on ridiculous courses, but once everyone turned pro that all went away. Even though the final antagonist being nicknamed the Lunar Empress got my hopes up that we'd see a game on the moon. B-

Meant to watch but will catch up on later, maybe: SkipLoaf, DangerHeart, 999 Yamada

Xizk
Nov 12, 2005

Mordja posted:

You should watch the last episode, bizarrely enough it is plot critical and continues where the first season ended.

Thanks for this. I would have missed it otherwise as I had skipped the series after the first ep. The last episode was great.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Patware posted:

i didn't finish g-witch yet because i watch it with a group and one of them had a major mental crisis and has been in a hospital for a few weeks

people got poo poo going on

drat, sorry about that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tabletops posted:

I’m watching insomniacs after school now and I’m enjoying it but the girl mc sure is genki all the time for someone who gets no sleep. Manic pixie insomniac girl.

The Call of the Night show similarly had an insomniac kid meets a manic pixie vampire girl, there seems to be a trend in these insomniac shows of "guy who is super depressed but not facing up to it at all meets a girl who allows him to find meaning in life again"

The term "manic pixie dream girl' isn't great but the usual definition is "exists in the script only to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures" so I don't think it quite fits for Insomniacs After School because Magari actually has her own arc about working through some poo poo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think the term 'magic pixie dream girl' sucks poo poo just like 'mary sue'

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i feel like all that super depressed loser finding the meaning of life stuff applies just as much or not more to nazuna. She spends all her time getting drunk and playing ps2 games by herself

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The 7th Guest posted:

i think the term 'magic pixie dream girl' sucks poo poo just like 'mary sue'

Yeah with both of those tropes there's been male equivalents that pretty much served the exact same narrative function for a long long long time (eg: certain male love interests in Mills & Boon romance novels effectively function the same as MPDGs, any number of author-insert male heroes = Mary Sues) which never received the same level of derision

E: I'd argue that the entire Mary Sue concept came about because women in the 1970s were writing awkward Star Trek fanfic with idealized author-insert female characters because all of the 'official' author-insert characters that'd appeared in that IP up to that point were obviously male and fanfic was the only method available for them to redress that balance
There's obviously still a huge amount of pushback against female protagonists taking a central role in certain IPs which were usually dominated by male characters, there was a huge amount of online screaming about Rey in Star Wars and I actually lost friends because they threw a ridiculous fit about Dr Who being recast as a woman

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 4, 2023

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The term "manic pixie dream girl' isn't great but the usual definition is "exists in the script only to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and its infinite mysteries and adventures" so I don't think it quite fits for Insomniacs After School because Magari actually has her own arc about working through some poo poo

I agree it’s not a great term, but sometimes characters fit archetypes like a glove. Initially that was Isaki. She grows, or maybe just opens up about her own problems. I think she still fits that archetype as a narrative device but it’s not bad.

When I said it I didn’t mean it in a very derisive way, just that it felt like a bit of a contradiction in characterization.

Regardless I like the show a lot (enough to read the manga, which I basically never do)x

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hyperactivity/adhd and insomnia are literally comorbidities, they're extremely common to see together in a person.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The point isn't about the character, it's about how the character is used by the narrative. The "dream girl" aspect is more important than the manic pixie part, with the latter usually used as a cheap way of avoiding explaining "why the gently caress is she that into Mr Sadsack Loser".

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jul 4, 2023

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Big Leg posted:

i feel like all that super depressed loser finding the meaning of life stuff applies just as much or not more to nazuna. She spends all her time getting drunk and playing ps2 games by herself

The manga explores this a bit more, and yeah

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Big Leg posted:

She spends all her time getting drunk and playing ps2 games by herself

one day I'm going to finally beat the first four dot hack games and this might be the only way I'm gonna be able to do it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Anyways, I think the only show I finished this season is Witch from Mercury which is really good.

I want to watch the rest of Edomae Elf and will probably do so in the summer since I finally have some free time to watch something.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sb hermit posted:

one day I'm going to finally beat the first four dot hack games and this might be the only way I'm gonna be able to do it

good luck i gave up halfway through mutation that combat is insanely dull

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

good luck i gave up halfway through mutation that combat is insanely dull

heck, I found infection’s combat dull and that’s just the first game

and then my ps3 got the ylod so I’d have to start all over again

recently I got the atelier mysterious series from the steam summer sale and looking forward to beating my first atelier game

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i think it is literally impossible to beat the first game, immediately start the second game, and get more than 5 hours in without turning into a pillar of salt

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the first game's postgame unlocking the giant flying mummy spaceship that was just hanging around in the skybox of some maps was the coolest thing in the entire series

honestly those games would be so cool if the core combat wasn't so rear end lol

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

sb hermit posted:

good luck becoming a depressed drunk vampire

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Patware posted:

i think it is literally impossible to beat the first game, immediately start the second game, and get more than 5 hours in without turning into a pillar of salt

ninjewtsu posted:

the first game's postgame unlocking the giant flying mummy spaceship that was just hanging around in the skybox of some maps was the coolest thing in the entire series

honestly those games would be so cool if the core combat wasn't so rear end lol

Big Leg posted:

good luck becoming a depressed drunk vampire

:cheersbird:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

binged the rest of edomae elf

really hits the spot… very comfy comedy SoL with a touch of history and consistently good from start to finish