Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yeesh. I hope those weren't passed on to some other youngster later.

I guess we can't educate all of America on just how disgusting Anthony and some of his work is, but for posterity: https://www.filfre.net/2019/12/companions-of-xanth-preceded-by-the-worrisome-case-of-piers-anthony/

Edit: Terrible snipe with no relevant content. Sorry for that!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Some that stand out in my mind:

The Golden Compass, the first book in a trilogy about finally giving that rear end in a top hat God what’s coming to him, from my (at the time - she got better) insane evangelical “Pokemon is a tool of the devil to send children to Hell” mother

Rama II, The Garden of Rama, and Rama Revealed - when I was like 11, the original Rama was one of my favorite books, so I got these for Christmas one year before my parents noticed a pull quote from Playboy on Rama II and were like, "…actually, let's read this before our middle school child does.". ….and then decided they were totally inappropriate and took them away (without buying me any replacements, cheapskates.). They weren’t wrong - the sequels are not only hilariously awful but also insanely inappropriate, like “a woman with the mind of a child assassinates a mob boss mid-anal-bead-sex-play before robotic Abe Lincolns with machine guns slaughter a bunch of innocent people” kinds of insanity. These books made me make the pyf terrible book thread.

Asimov’s Foundation series(/trilogy??) - this was one of those ~fancy~ hardcover special editions they have at Barnes & Noble, i.e. the worst possible way to try to read a book for the first time. Thing is like five or six pounds with insanely thin leaf pages, thanks for the bookshelf decor I guess…?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rockman Reserve posted:

Asimov’s Foundation series(/trilogy??) - this was one of those ~fancy~ hardcover special editions they have at Barnes & Noble, i.e. the worst possible way to try to read a book for the first time. Thing is like five or six pounds with insanely thin leaf pages, thanks for the bookshelf decor I guess…?

I got an edition of Hitchhiker's Guide like this and read it in college and I think at least three different people (including a professor) approached me surprised that I would be reading the Bible. Then they'd realize what I was actually reading and be visibly relieved.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Beer books were mentioned earlier. I'll second that. Barely even touched that book, why would I want to read about a bunch of beers instead of tasting them?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grevling posted:

Beer books were mentioned earlier. I'll second that. Barely even touched that book, why would I want to read about a bunch of beers instead of tasting them?

You read about the beers then go out and find the ones that sound like something you'd like.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Highly unnecessary step when you can just go to the store and pick something out.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Like three of those Left Behind books. I never read them

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

distortion park posted:

Ohhh, is that the weird Christian post-rapture book? I had to sit through a film adaptation of that in school at one point. That was a terrible, terrible movie.

I didn't know there were multiple books though, haha - dear lord! I assumed there must've been only one Left Behind book, since that would've been bad enough :D

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Major Isoor posted:

Ohhh, is that the weird Christian post-rapture book? I had to sit through a film adaptation of that in school at one point. That was a terrible, terrible movie.

I didn't know there were multiple books though, haha - dear lord! I assumed there must've been only one Left Behind book, since that would've been bad enough :D

sixteen books and like fifty YA books hahahahahahaha

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Leraika posted:

Wow, that sounds awful! hahahaha

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I read one without knowing their whole deal, just thinking it was a schlocky post-apocalypse book, and found it super bland.

but I hear they get absolutely loving insane in later books, like someone getting elected president of the world because he could list every country, all the freshwater of the world turns to blood, etc.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

distortion park posted:

I had a friend who read those in 8th grade. That was one of the only things I remember about him.

The other is that he put butter on his french fries. One day I gave him some butter packets I got from Bob Evans that weekend and they exploded in his pocket during band class and it was loving hilarious watching him discover what was happening while I watched from across the room.

I did not think or expect that they would explode when I gave them to him.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Leraika posted:

I worked in a bookstore for awhile and every so often someone would come in and buy an entire shelf's worth of those books.

I never saw anyone just buy book 6 or something; it was always an armload all at once.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I read the entire Left Behind (main) series in high school, in what I can now only assume was an exercise in self-hatred

WarpDogs posted:

but I hear they get absolutely loving insane in later books, like someone getting elected president of the world because he could list every country, all the freshwater of the world turns to blood, etc.

"Antichrist lists every country alphabetically and becomes ruler of the world" happens in book 1 and is pretty far from the dumbest thing in book 1, let alone the rest of the series. Look at book 3, where WW3 happens, Chicago gets nuked, and one of the characters responds by... stopping off in a suburban dealership on his way home from O'Hare and calmly buying a Range Rover? so much of the loving books is bonkers by any objective measure, and says a lot more about the authors than about Jesus.

One of the authors is technically a journalist. One of the characters is coincidentally a journalist! Best journalist in the world, and a convert to fundamentalist Christianity! What does the fundamentalist Christian best journalist in the world do? Work for the Antichrist, bury stories that might get him in trouble, and threaten to out his supervisor as a lesbian if she makes him do work he doesn't wanna do!

One of the authors wanted to be a pilot. One of the characters is coincidentally a pilot! Best pilot in the world, and a convert to fundamentalist Christianity! What does the fundamentalist Christian best pilot in the world do? Work for the Antichrist, and not just work for him, fly his official plane! OK, fine, you'd think at least that would give him plenty of opportunities to ruin the Antichrist's plans, right? Well, it does! In one case, he... starts taxiing the plane when he knows the Antichrist is still standing, so he falls over!

Everything is incredibly pathetic and there's a reason much of the "fanbase" was hatereaders while the target market was like "why are these people so dumb and hateful?"

also, Tim LaHaye was absolutely certain the Rapture would happen in his lifetime, wrote books about it and everything, said there was no way he could be wrong about the fact that the founding of Israel meant the Rapture was only a few decades away. he died in 2016. That's mostly unrelated to Left Behind itself, I just like reminding people.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

from the time i could read until like... actually even still today i guess, i was/am all about facts and trivia so this would have been a perfectly fine book to receive compared to all the other stuff in the thread

Arrhythmia posted:

How many copies of Stephen King's do you have.

my dads work-friend super-intensely gave me his copy of Under the Dome and was like "this book is so awesome" and was weird about me comitting to a time to read it and normally i oblige people but it's a huge book and this guy once literally put sugar on salad, like my dad takes his employees out to lunch every now and then and this dude opened up multiple packets of sugar and poured it on his loving salad and not fruit salad, but salad salad with lettuce and tomatoes

so i had to politely but firmly nip that poo poo in the bud and tell him I was already reading a couple of books but he was so sad, and it dawned on me that it was probably by far the most amount of words he'd ever read so i tried to read it but god drat it was so dumb. I made it through a bit and the iraq war allegories were so blatant i just had to put it down unfinished

he eventually asked me about it and i was like "oh yea i read some of it, i liked how it reminded me of the war in iraq" and he just stared back at me.

but he put sugar on salad, you can't expect a guy like that to get the concept of a metaphor i guess

Tumble fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 14, 2023

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Tumble posted:

from the time i could read until like... actually even still today i guess, i was/am all about facts and trivia so this would have been a perfectly fine book to receive compared to all the other stuff in the thread

my dads work-friend super-intensely gave me his copy of Under the Dome and was like "this book is so awesome" and was weird about me comitting to a time to read it and normally i oblige people but it's a huge book and this guy once literally put sugar on salad, like my dad takes his employees out to lunch every now and then and this dude opened up multiple packets of sugar and poured it on his loving salad and not fruit salad, but salad salad with lettuce and tomatoes

so i had to politely but firmly nip that poo poo in the bud and tell him I was already reading a couple of books but he was so sad, and it dawned on me that it was probably by far the most amount of words he'd ever read so i tried to read it but god drat it was so dumb. I made it through a bit and the iraq war allegories were so blatant i just had to put it down unfinished

he eventually asked me about it and i was like "oh yea i read some of it, i liked how it reminded me of the war in iraq" and he just stared back at me.

but he put sugar on salad, you can't expect a guy like that to get the concept of a metaphor i guess

I read the entire book and was so mad over the ending that I swore I'd never read another Stephen King book again (I didn't for several years, but then I thought maybe I was just being too hard on him; the other week I finished his latest giant book and realised I had been fooled yet again)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tumble posted:

I love weird facts and trivia and I'm sure that's why they bought me the book - the problem was that it was instead pictures of "funny signs". Like a "no dogs" sign....with a dog near it. The only "facts" was that the signs were real.

Some of them were funny though. "Something Italian is coming" is a hilarious way to advertise your upcoming restaurant. I hope it's not Mussolini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrobama
Aug 4, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

"Something Italian is coming" is a hilarious way

There's nothing funny about such a dire warning.