Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Problem description: I'm trying to use my windows 10 desktop as a personal computer running long-running compute-intensive jobs that take hours or days of running the CPU and/or GPU at max capacity. Windows has been aggressively throttling any application being run if the window doesn't have focus. It doesn't matter what kind of application or what else is happening on the machine, if it doesn't have focus- it gets throttled. I have some jobs that are being run via a powershell window. If I have nothing else running on the machine but simply click the desktop I can see the application that was launched via the powershell window immediately get cut to less than 10% of the processing power it had before. If I'm playing something like Vampire Survivors running on its own screen and I click over to the web browser on the other screen, it immediately gets throttled. Handbrake, Visual Studio, you name it. Anything at all that has a window will get throttled if it isn't the focused window.

Attempted fixes: The only thing I haven't tried is outright flattening and reinstalling the OS. I've been googling and trying to find fixes for months now. I've tried turning the power settings back to default, restarting the machine, setting it back to high performance, restarting, and the issue is still there. I've tried going into the task manager and viewing the per-application throttle settings and it's telling me that throttling is disabled for everything. I've tried updating drivers and windows. I've tried playing around with the nVidea control panel. Nothing makes any difference.

Recent changes: Maybe? This is a relatively new machine that I built a little over a year ago that included a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. When I keep my intensive jobs running in-focus I'm not seeing any heating issues. At full tilt the CPU will not rise over 70 degrees and the GPU won't get over 60.

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs: i7-12700k, 32 GB RAM, NVME disks, 3080 GPU

I have Googled and read the FAQ: YES

I really don't want to flatten and spend the time to reinstall everything but I'm really at my wits end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If there was a point when this wasn't happening I'd try doing a system restore back to then if possible.

You also might be able to run some programs in safe mode and see if the same thing happens.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Good call. I picked a handbrake job and checked it first to make sure the behavior was reproduceable. I kicked off the job, hear the fans kick on, let it run for about ten seconds, minimized the window and hear the fans immediately cool off. Waited another ten seconds, brought the window back up again, fans kicked back on.

I restarted in safe mode and tried the same thing. Fans remained on and the job didn't slow down no matter what I did to it. Minimized, blocked by another window, etc. So that's progress at least. There's some windows config or driver or something that's causing this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, if you have a lot of programs load at startup it could be any one of them.

If you made a new user account with no programs loading that could probably narrow it down more. If the new user account had the issue then the Windows OS is probably messed up. Otherwise, it's some program or combination of programs running.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yup it’s still happening with a new user account. Ugh this sucks but whatever. There’s probably a ton of cruft I want to leave behind anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Thanks a ton for the guidance!