Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

That which cannot be spoken, must be passed over in silence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i only say that because his response to it, or rather his response not to it, but the common conception of language it offers, comprises the first hundred or so remarks of the whole work, from which follows an investigation into rule following, then the necessary social aspect of language, then of what's really at the bottom of the common mind/body dichotomy. it's not that it defies summary necessarily, but the book is very carefully written and the ideas can only be done justice by working through the remarks yourself

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
reading the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus some 13-odd years ago seemed to only confirm at first my hard atheist worldview, a mistake similar to the ones made by the logical positivists of the early 20th century when they read it. when I read Philosophical Investigations, which is somewhat of a repudiation of the earlier work, and I read more biographical material about Wittgenstein, I came to realize that I had it backwards. Reading and re-reading these works over the years and then doing some of my own thinking improbably made a space for religion in my life once again, something that I would have considered utterly laughable all those years ago

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

mycophobia posted:

reading the Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus some 13-odd years ago seemed to only confirm at first my hard atheist worldview, a mistake similar to the ones made by the logical positivists of the early 20th century when they read it. when I read Philosophical Investigations, which is somewhat of a repudiation of the earlier work, and I read more biographical material about Wittgenstein, I came to realize that I had it backwards. Reading and re-reading these works over the years and then doing some of my own thinking improbably made a space for religion in my life once again, something that I would have considered utterly laughable all those years ago

Yeah, same with me and Kierkegaard

It also goes with growing up and realizing that people who died more than 50 years ago could still be pretty smart and apply their brains to their own experiences as well or better than we can now

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
ive been wanting to check out kierkegaard but im very lazy

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, he's not easy, I keep meaning to return to him but haven't for years. But since this thread toured around Wittgenstein, the Greeks, and the Bible, he's right in the middle of all that. Despite being very religious, he works just as well if you're an existentialist or a post-modernist. "The matter is quite simple. The bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly. Take any words in the New Testament and forget everything except pledging yourself to act accordingly."

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

The Gospel according to Tim Minchin posted:

If you just close your eyes and block your ears
To the accumulated knowledge of the last two thousand years
Then morally, guess what? You're off the hook
And thank Christ you only have to read one book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsTxTpo-7zU&t=20s

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mycophobia posted:

a summary won't do it justice and it'll get mangled, i implore that no one else attempt it. read Philosophical Investigations, get it from the man himself

you cannot stop me! only my inability to summarise it to my own satisfaction can

Sections 3.3 and 3.4 here are as good an explanation as I've seen. as mycophobia says though it's not that amenable to reduction you've got to let the big W show it to you https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/wittgenstein/#PhilInve

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

There is To put words on God’s (or gods’) lips is blasphemy.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

There is to be no editing of posts are the revealed words of the divine. To put words on God’s (or gods’) lips is blasphemy.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

There is to be no editing of posts in this thread. All posts in this thread are the revealed words of the divine. To be not editing of posts in this thread are revealed words of the divine

Add in later:

Judgy Fucker posted:

put words on God’s (or gods’) lips is blasphemy.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Didn’t expect to see someone role play changing texts through manual transmission when I started the thread. But I love it

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Every so often I think about how in the book of Acts, Judas simply exploded.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

worm girl posted:

Every so often I think about how in the book of Acts, Judas simply exploded.

You gotta quote the scripture, too!

Acts 1:16-18 posted:

16 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.

17 For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry.

18 Now this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hosed up you all are writing g-ds name like that

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Wait, so Judas basically went out like a water balloon?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Wait, so Judas basically went out like a water balloon?

According to whoever wrote Acts. According to Matthew, Judas hanged himself:

Matthew 27:1-5 posted:

1 When the morning was come, all the chief priests and elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death:

2 And when they had bound him, they led him away, and delivered him to Pontius Pilate the governor.

3 Then Judas, which had betrayed him, when he saw that he was condemned, repented himself, and brought again the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and elders,

4 Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.

5 And he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

Both traditions talk about a field being purchased with the 30 pieces of silver, which is really interesting. In Acts Judas buys it for himself, then blows up. In Matthew, the priests in the Temple take the money to buy a field to bury poor commoners in:

Matthew 27:6-10 posted:

6 And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.

7 And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.

8 Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did value;

10 And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
Some (two?) of the gospels say that Judas hanged himself, and that's generally the accepted story. Most scholars believe either that Acts is apocrypha, or the writer was making some sort of metaphorical statement, or possibly the writer was describing something that can happened to hanged bodies sometimes where they bloat up and burst after a while. But that's all going beyond the text. The book says he tripped in a field and gibbed for no reason.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003
i am not sure how relevant this is to the thread, but the translation of the Hebrew Bible by Robert Alter is pretty great.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mycophobia posted:

ive been wanting to check out kierkegaard but im very lazy

do fear and trembling, that’s a wonderful exploration about the concept of faith

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I found a Stephen Mitchell version of the Tao Te Ching at a Goodwill the other day. It's another version that's more of a rendition than a translation, but it's a favorite of mine since it was the first version of the book I ever read. Very lucky find, I hope I can get an actually good translation one day.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Early Christian convert: “So, how’d Judas die?”
Guy who definitely didn’t kill Judas: “hanged himself”
Guy who also definitely didn’t kill Judas, at same time: “exploded”
Church fathers: “I heard he got super fat and then run over by a car”

Papias, Expositions of the Sayings of the Lord posted:

Judas walked about in this world a sad example of impiety; for his body having swollen to such an extent that he could not pass where a chariot could pass easily, he was crushed by the chariot, so that his bowels gushed out.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Apropos of nothing, my fave bible verses are acts 19:11-16

A demon says to some poseurs: "I know Jesus and Paul. Who the gently caress are you jokers?" Then he beats the snot out of them, hijacks their laundry, and hucks their naked asses out the door.

Also https://www.blueletterbible.org is my go-to for searching up scriptures and bible stuff on the internet

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

It's not very good to be honest. Lots of plot holes and an unreliable narrative.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Wittgenstein should've poked that guy, imo

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Very foreskin-centric.
Why so much noise about foreskins?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Does the Hebrew Bible even talk about circumcision all that much?

Curious to know how far back that custom dates. If the oldest parts of the Old Testament were codified circa 500 BCE, how long before then were Hebrews mutilating genitals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s a famously baffling passage in Exodus where God meets Moses and Zipporah and their kid on the road and out of nowhere tries to kill Moses (or maybe the kid?), and Zipporah just decides to circumcise her son with a sharp stone on the spot to calm God down.

Conclusion, God hates foreskins. Can’t stand em

e: excellent article on it where every page is half footnote at least

actual Biblical scholar posted:

The difficulties of identifying the actors and explaining their actions lend this brief vignette the surrealism of a nightmare.

skasion fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 25, 2023