Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Got the first book from the library next town over

Was walking with it on the way to work today and a man doing yardwork called out to me "Good book!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

If I hate horror of basically all kinds and the trailers for the movies were themselves too much for me...avoid the books probably?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
...movies?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

silvergoose posted:

If I hate horror of basically all kinds and the trailers for the movies were themselves too much for me...avoid the books probably?

It's not really horror, it's more like an investigation of something unknown and unsettling, with some detective work occurring, some wilderness survival, and cutting through layers of knowledge kept out of reach, and some people acting strangely. I didn't find it scary or disgusting (if horror = fear + disgust).

Personally, I found the movie's visuals more unsettling than the content of the first two books, which I would say were more interesting, creative, and cool (haven't read the third), and I enjoyed formulating and "testing" my own theories about what was going on (which is why I mostly bounced off the third book). I would also say that I'm moderately easy to creep out, but it's a sensation I sometimes seek when reading.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 28, 2023

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sorry, movie

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just finished the first book of the trilogy. This is some good stuff

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Will be really interested to hear your thoughts on books one & two. Some people swear by one or the other but hate the one that they don't like. Everyone loves book one, that's the universal.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
110 pages into Veniss Underground and I'm loving loving it

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

I've started Dead Astronauts and tbh so far it's not doing it for me. Moss just interacted with (?) the fish, everything is written in a really breathless but vague way. I dunno, maybe I'm just not in the right mood for it

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong
kinda feeling the same way about Borne. i tore through the trilogy, but having a hard time picking Borne back up. will give it another go on my next plane flight i guess.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Just finished Veniss Underground and the little afterword.

This book was amazing, beautiful, gross and is easily in my favorite book selection now.

What a good time

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The first book of the Southern Reach trilogy really, really creeped me out in a way that is very rare. I got the absolute crawlies at the descent into the Tower section.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

defmacro posted:

kinda feeling the same way about Borne. i tore through the trilogy, but having a hard time picking Borne back up. will give it another go on my next plane flight i guess.

lol i did kind of have to truck thru borne

sorry dead astronauts isnt ur cup of tea MNIMWA :(

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Finished Annihilation today, liked it a lot. I'll move on to book two but I have some other stuff I want to read first

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

verbal enema posted:

110 pages into Veniss Underground and I'm loving loving it

this is a very good one

defmacro posted:

I felt the same about Hummingbird Salamander. Was ok but didn't grab me and when you start to think about what would possibly motivate the main character I got angry it made no sense

Still, a cool central premise so if you want climate catastrophe noire thrillers give it a try

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 19, 2023

defmacro
Sep 27, 2005
cacio e ping pong

Bilirubin posted:

this is a very good one

I felt the same about Hummingbird Salamander. Was ok but didn't grab me and when you start to think about what would possibly motivate the main character I got angry it made no sense

Still, a cool central premise so if you want climate catastrophe noire thrillers give it a try

yeah I think it's similar enough in that the premise might leave me somewhat satisfied. climate catastrophe noire thriller might be a tad too close to home heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Finally finished Dead Astronauts

What