Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsShIXZrJvA

In a brief period of relaxed censorship around 1960 in South Korea, this noirish domestic horror movie went buck wild with sensationalism. Heaving bosoms, torn bodices, scandal and murder! Even before the government became a democracy in the 80’s and led to the new wave of cutting edge cinema in Korea, this movie stands as evidence that there was a well of artists struggling to come out from under the thumb of censorship in the 60’s

Considered one of the top three films in South Korean history, it was remade in 2010 and also namedropped by Bong Joonho as one of the inspirations for Parasite

Criterion recently released it in a double feature with Trances on Blu-ray

You can also rent it on Criterion channel, Apple, or Alamo for $4

Or you can watch it for free on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J_HTZFC32s

The visual language of this film is something to pay extra attention to

Bonus round: The Korean Film Archive has put 110 other classic Korean movies from the 30’s to 80’s on YouTube if you wanna go exploring:
https://m.youtube.com/@KoreanFilm

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I liked the bit at the end where the husband has a big old laugh at the camera and says 'it could happen to youuuu' like a Twilight Zone narrator.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

a lovely king posted:

I liked the bit at the end where the husband has a big old laugh at the camera and says 'it could happen to youuuu' like a Twilight Zone narrator.

A new censorship board was established months before this movie came out. I have nothing to base this on, but I suppose maybe it got grandfathered and the it was all a dream bit at the end was a concession to be able to premiere

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That Youtube channel is a treasure. I have to start working my way through those - in the past decade or so, the amount of vintage Korean, USSR and Indian films being available online has exploded.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Finally sat down to watch this and it was well worth my time. Very neat movie. I loved the shots of the camera on the balcony moving between the maids room and the piano room.