Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Arrhythmia posted:

they're also completely unreadable, printed on super high quality paper, and he managed to get like, 5 or 6 of them out of the door before someone caught on

I looked this up on Amazon and there's one guy that's super mad he bought the Kindle version

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I may need to start reading The Familiar. (I love insane, overly confident bullshit.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Was Only Revolutions the one where it could be read from either direction, and had to be flipped over because of that?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was Only Revolutions the one where it could be read from either direction, and had to be flipped over because of that?

Yeah that’s the one with side-panels giving real world dates and events

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
house of queeves

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

MSPain posted:

house of queeves

Explain.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i believe the text explains itself

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I read this over a long month last year and it was really fun and gleefully self-indulgent. I didn't hate Johnny Truant nearly as much as most people seemed to, but I also read every poem, so maybe I'm just an easy mark for whatever bullshit Danielewski was on. A friend of mine started reading it recently and I have loved seeing her reactions.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Alan Wake 2

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Heath posted:

A thing I discovered that no one else comments on is that the word "where" does not occur anywhere in the book. It isn't even in the huge index at the end

It took me 8 months to read the book and remember this post and I'm sorry but you're :wrong:

Took me awhile to get through a lot of the Truant stuff but ultimately I think it works, though that may be because I'm selectively remembering the (later) good parts and forgetting the (earlier) boring sex parts. Didn't expect to read so much about cum and butthole fingering!

The most fun was reading a weirdly worded section/quote/authors name and googling it to find that there's a secret code or anagram, and then reading Wikipedia about some ancient greek bard, and then pondering what it meant when zampano minotaur'd Johnny, how/why did Johnny's mom hide zampanos name in her letter, what's so special about the red and gold Spanish doll, and why did Johnny want to gently caress his mom so bad.

Good book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Friend posted:

...what's so special about the red and gold Spanish doll

Worth mentioning that's one of the things that ties in with the album Haunted - there's a song about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkXd_xaMkEc