Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I just watched Inu-Oh and was absolutely blown away. Then I did research into the guys who made it and found out they were also the ones who made Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken?! I am fully and completely obsessed now. I blew through Tatami Time Machine because it was on hulu. And I've just started watching Ping Pong the Animation. Really want to watch Original Tatami Galaxy but its on Funimation only for some reason even though it and crunchyroll are the same company now.

What other stuff should I put on my radar? If I like his stuff as much as I do is there anyone else I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You can honestly go through his whole catalog, it's all pretty much worth it. As you said, Tatami Galaxy would be a good followup to time machine blues. Other highlights of his include Kaiba, Devilman Crybaby, Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! and the movie Mind Game.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What good timing for this thread

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1643650894414635009

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
What did people think of Japan Sinks 2020?

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Flesnolk posted:

What did people think of Japan Sinks 2020?

it's probably the worst yuasa anime (i haven't seen lu over the wall) but i don't think it's anywhere near as bad as these anilist reviews i just looked at seem to think. there's enough weird and brutal and uplifting moments that it's worth watching, even if the big picture themes are kind of hammy and generic.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah he's amazing. Glad there's such a prolific anime director out there who makes weird stuff and in such a loose style.

Science Saru is going to work on the new Scott Pilgrim anime too.

Of course being an animator at Science Saru is still brutal even though they use flash for some efficiency and the character designs aren't as complex as some other companies.

"Chung herself decided to leave at around the same time as a production manager did after the two realized that the pressure, hours, and pay they had to sacrifice were not sustainable for their futures.

“I have some horror stories from this studio, which are thankfully fewer than some of SARU's competitors. But – and this is a big one for me – a studio should not have its twenty-something girls crying in the bathroom, doing all-nighters. Neither should it have a production schedule that is so tight that it is unable to accommodate the mental health of the aforementioned production manager. I had to speak on her behalf to her supervisor and the CEO – and though they responded compassionately, practically there could not be much change. A culture with this much production pressure necessitated the long hours.” "

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2021-07-21/i-have-some-horror-stories-animator-talks-industry-problems-hopes-for-the-future/.175178

Ccs fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 9, 2023

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I’m a big fan The Night is Short, Walk on Girl for taking the Tatami Galaxy/Time Machine style to a bigger budget production. He also did an episode of Adventure Time called Food Chain that had a really wild color pencil style to it.

I believe he announced that he’ll be retiring soon, so it’s cool you have most of his filmography ahead of you, since there won’t be much new in the future.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Hunt down Kemonozume. Yuasa and co made a more stylish, more adult ChainsawMan before ChainsawMan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

*doki* *doki*
I really loved Ping Pong, but idk, his other works didn't grab me as much as that one.