Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

The cam is off, the chicks are spending their first morning out in the small run, learning about the outdoors and the rest of the flock. Our temps are over 100 degrees this week, so they'll only be out there a few hours and will be brought back in once it gets too hot. The cam will return then, probably around 1-2PM PST.

I've rearranged the brooder box and raised the camera for a better view, it was getting a bit 'Attack Of The 50 Foot Chickens' in there.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Welp...I have some sad news. Something happened back in April that we hadn't said anything about until now, because we didn't want to drag everybody down, and there was nothing anyone could have done to help, anyway.

WingDing died this morning.
Back on April 10th we innoculated the chicks for Marek's Disease. The vaccine must be given a few days after hatch, and is delivered using a tuberculin syringe (tiny, very short needle) via a sub-q injection at the back of the neck. The kid and I have been doing them for years, so we know how to do it and are experienced--what happened was a pure freak accident.

WingDing was a Silikie, and humans developing crested breeds like Silkies for bigger and better crests have caused a naturally-occurring hole in the top of a Silkie's skull to become much larger. Their brains protrude through this hole, leaving them VERY susceptible to brain injury from what would otherwise be a minor injury from a bump or peck to the head. I call this kind of injury Head Boink, and it's generally quite treatable. Head Boink can also be cause by Botulism (or anything that causes brain swelling), the symptoms are a loss of balance and/or what is called Twirling/Stargazing. It can be fatal because the bird cannot eat or drink for itself.

When WingDing was getting her vaccination, she suddenly freaked out and flailed, and rammed the needle into her neck vertebrae. She immediately went limp and I thought she'd killed herself.
She was alive, but in shock and paralyzed. I immediately began treating her with a Selenium/Vitamin E mixture which I've used before for cases of Head Boink, it's got a very good track record for curing it--but it takes time--usually around 10- 20 days.

WingDing's injury was profound, she couldn't even hold her head up and just laid in one spot. We put her in her own cage, and I've been handfeeding her every 2 hours since April 10th and giving her the Head Boink treatment. Over the last three months she'd gained weight, grown and improved to the point where for the last 3 weeks, she could hold herself upright, was eating and drinking on her own, etc. She still couldn't walk around normally and I couldn't trust the adult chickens or big chicks around her, so she'd been living in her own space in the brooder box. The last 14 days or so the three baby chicks were hopping in with her and they were all getting along great. WingDing had gotten much stronger and was still making progress but it was slow, we'd hoped eventually she'd be able to walk around without staggering and could join the flock in another few weeks. But she was alert, healthy and carrying on just like the other chicks.

Today she went out into the small run with the three young chicks from batch 2--seperated from the big chickens, of course--so they could all spend a couple of hours outside and start getting used to the outdoors while we cleaned the brooder box.

An hour later, the kid found WingDing dead. No injuries or damage, she just...died. I don't know if her Head Boink contributed to her death or not, but I suspect that she couldn't overcome it and it just finally got her.

Hope everyone understands why why didn't mention this before...I really was hoping we'd get her back to a point where she could join the flock or just be a house chicken. Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but it was just a stupid damned accident and we did our best for her. :smith:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

drat. Thanks for making the little one as comfortable as possible, especially as long as you did. It's completely understandable why you wouldn't announce this before now.

I appreciate that, despite the heavy news, the prognosis is light enough in humor to fight it. Terminal Head Boink is a heck of a name.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorry for your loss. You tried everything for that little featherbundle.
Roost in Peace WingDing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, losing them is always rough :(

Hopefully the newbies are getting another chance to go outside and learn to be real chickens again today.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
RIP WingDing

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Thank you for working so hard to help her recover. I'm so sorry for your loss. At least it sounds like she got to go somewhat peacefully, outside in the fresh air with her sisters :unsmith:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I'm sorry for all the chickam trauma you've had to go through these past few years.

Like, I imagine it's impossible not to bond to a chick you have to hand-feed every 2 hours for literal months. I can't imagine how difficult it was to have this happen right when she seemed to be getting better. Especially after what you went through with #6. :smith:

I mean, I'm sure you've had things like this happen before as a result of livestock life just kind of being like that, but... yeah. I just... imagine there are times it's really hard. Certainly more than I could handle. Thank you for doing everything you do.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support.

Chickam is entering its final week!
Since the chicks are spending their mornings out in the small run, the cam will be off while they are outside, and get turned back on when they come back in afternoons.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Eggroll! :v:

And fluffy butt with STILL no tail:

Aaaannd she's judging you, you lazy slacker. She's not mad, just disappointed. Level up, for cry-yi.

Also, I'm following a recipe and one of the steps says to place three whole chickens in a bowl, did I do this right?

L to R: Deliciousaurus, Tsao Tsao and Spam

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 11, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that is clearly three whole chickens in a bowl, so yes
is the next step to rub them with butter? they might like that

I've lost track of which one is deliciousaurus now, but all three look like good chickens anyway

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rub them in butter, then give them a pile of flour to fluff around in :v:

Great pictures, they're getting so big!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Tomorrow will likely be the last day of Chickam. We're still having 100+ degree heat, when it breaks in the next few days (hopefully) and the chicks stop coming back in afternoons, they'll go outside for good.

It was 107 in our back yard today, fer cryin' out loud... :derp:

Pictures of the youngest chicks will be up in a day or so, too.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

have good happy lives CHICKENS!!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One last corn on the cob before going full chicken :unsmith:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

You must be glad to get them out of the house lol. I hope they love it too! :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Okay, shutting down Chickam. Once the weather cools off, on weekends we'll try to set the cam out on the flock on Saturdays/Sundays.
I'll post on the Chickam2008 Twitter account when we do. Thanks everyone for your support!

Pictures of the three youngsters will be up in a day or so.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 17, 2023

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Thank you for hosting!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Geemer posted:

Thank you for hosting!

This! It's a different adventure every time. You're awesome, chickam fam.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's been great to watch both rounds this year, thanks for putting it up for everyone!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Thanks as always for a lovely springtime streaming adventure.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

AT LAST! Pictures of Batch 2 at two months old. Sorry for the delay, it's been 107 degrees here for 2+ weeks straight so I had -zero- energy for anything that didn't consist of lying in a sweaty puddle.

Anyway, here they are:
https://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2023/08/chickam-batch-2-chicks-two-months-old.html

Thanks everyone for making our 15th year of Chickam a success, see y'all next year!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

So cute :kimchi: lol at Spam apparently thinking she’s part cat.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

geez in that heat I wouldn't have any energy either.

They all look beautiful, but I'm still disproportionately proud of lil Cao Cao. Hopefully he behaves so he doesn't have to go to freezer camp.

Spam being entranced by drawstrings is perfect. :allears:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Thanks Velvet Sparrow and family for another year of chickam! Deliciousaurus looks really nice, very handsome hen.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

They are all soooo adorable!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's awesome, they're so big! Thanks for sharing again :buddy:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Hey Chickam bookmark crew.

Velvet Sparrow is working through some health issues right now. She needs to raise funds in order to have heart surgery.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/susan-needs-a-valve-jobopenheart-surgery

If you have in the past enjoyed Chickam, and would like it to continue in the future, please consider donating to Susan - she is entirely legitimate, is a valued member of the SA community and has been for many years. I first found Chickam when I was at university in 2010 and having a rough time, and it helped me. I've watched every year since. Velvet Sparrow and 12String are fantastic members of SA, and have continued with this livestream even when things looked very bleak.

More than happy to eat a probe if this is deemed advertising, or whatever - I think it's worth it, keeping Velvet Sparrow as a member of our community is worth it. She's lovely.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Seconding that Chickam has helped me a lot over the years and anyone who can donate absolutely should, Velvet Sparrow is the best.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Donated! Thanks for letting goons know

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks for letting me know! Hope you crush the goal, Velvet.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Thank you so much for sharing that here. Donated some money and shared the link with some friends who've also come to love Chickam offsite. I really hope everything works out. :glomp:

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

FYI Chickam is also doing some weekend streams rn. Last week this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikita-hpUgI

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007