Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
itt we talk about stories strangers put up on the internet, maybe they're even pretty lit (right up until they go on permanent hiatus or leap off the rails)

Forge of Destiny (complete, there's a sequel) - xianxia story written as a quest
Eight (first two books were banished to KU, in progress) - isekai that isn't annoying trash
A Practical Guide to Evil (complete) - gritty YA fantasy, it's nice
Kitty Cat Kill Sat (complete) - cat in space who's having a hard time
The Friendly Necromancer (to be continued) - ghost pokemon goes on a pokemon journey, it's cute and thoughtful
Worm (complete) - it's superpowers and I'm pretty sure I'll get shanked if I don't mention it

don't believe everything you read on topwebfiction, metaworld chronicles is trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I always read the summary of these and somehow end up more confused than when I started

Someday, I will understand what the hell a "system" is in the context of endless web novel plots, but not today

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I just learned the term "litRPG" and I suppose it makes sense that it exists. Like a written form of a twitch stream I guess?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

distortion park posted:

I just learned the term "litRPG" and I suppose it makes sense that it exists. Like a written form of a twitch stream I guess?

it's deranged

e. the xianxia things is kinda fun in a dbz way. the ones that record fake rpg "stats" as a character goes on are insane.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Do ones from Something Awful count? A whole bunch of Trad Games is made up of CYOAs/Quests.

In lieu of that, I'm too self conscious of most of the trash I've read, but I suppose this one makes up for it in concept:

Hmmph... this junior is a good seed (In Progress) - Xianxia management quest where the author is running things from the Sect Leader's perspective, and told all the voters to go nuts and write up their own individual character subplots to populate out the sect which translate to bonuses in the game part of the quest. So now it's more like one main overarching story loosely keeping a lid on dozens of different substories, ranging from "called it quits after a chapter or two, had their character get mulched" to "functionally a co-author, and as a result their personal character is of significant strategic importance to the Sect, though not irreplaceably so because they're still just among the most promising rising stars of the younger generation."

It's kind of dumb in the sense that you end up with a lot of false starts and terrible writers. But it's at least partially a self-correcting process because the really terrible or uncommitted writers fail to meet the standard of quality necessary to obtain mechanical bonuses and their characters die/stagnate. It's also kind of clever in that it perfectly demonstrates the underlying assumptions of the genre in a way that you don't often see precisely because the main character in these things is supposed to always win over the odds and not get tossed into the meatgrinder. This serves to make those characters that do make it through the wringer feel much more impactful, because they 1) have a lot written about them 2) have an objective measurement by which they overcame adversity, even if they were still lucky.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 15, 2023