Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Nowadays the Scholastic Book Fair has a sturdy online component but back in the day, you'd take home a catalog to browse and preorder your wants before the actual fair day. Join me as I sift the internet for vintage Scholastic and other corporate book marketing materials.

Scholastic still had paper catalogs in 2013 (from Reddit):

And 2003 (thread):

And 1989 if you want to feel super-old (thread):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
My parents let me order as much as I wanted from the book fair provided it was actual books. The teacher would end up giving me whole rear end boxes filled with books when the deliveries came.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I still have at least one book I ordered in the third grade, a calligraphy manual.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
In elementary school the book fair was set up on tables around the library and I really wanted Tales of the Bounty Hunters but didn't have the money that day so I stashed it behind the books on the library shelf behind where it was displayed and got it the next day. I paid for it I just made sure no one else could get it before me.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Wow, those old catalogues are bringing back fond memories!

Arrhythmia posted:

My parents let me order as much as I wanted from the book fair provided it was actual books. The teacher would end up giving me whole rear end boxes filled with books when the deliveries came.

drat, you had cool parents! Mine were pretty good with regards to books too, but as my mum was a librarian she was determined to ensure that we use libraries rather than just buying books, for the most part. Which is all well and good, but if I want to get a copy of the latest Goosebumps CYOA to hang onto, it could be a pain!
(Don't get me wrong though, I still got to buy books from the SBF. But it was slim pickings by comparison, as I'd be using my own feeble pocket money funds. A great experience either way though)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ah, Scholastic Book Fairs.

In second grade, I really wanted the book, "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs" written from the perspective of the wolf. I was fascinated by the fact that the pigs actually died in the book. I tried to buy the book using a check my parents had written me for lunch money.

Sometime in middle school, I bought a book of Mad magazine quotes: "The Half Wit and Wisdom of Alfred E. Neuman". I still have the book and although it isn't really worth much, I still think it's cool that I could buy Mad-related stuff in a Scholastic book fair.