Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I can't believe loving Blewitt is gonna end our season on a goddamn 59-yarder

edit: does Michigan have 150 in penalty yardage or what, jesus christ

edit: NEVERMIND THEY REVERSED IT ANOTHER DEEP-DICK BOMB OF A TOUCHDOWN FROM MICHIGAN TO TAKE THE LEAD

edit: this Michigan team self-sabotages like a motherfucker lol, at least the end has been entertaining

edit: OVERTIME? this poo poo's crazy yo

edit: yeah fair enough Michigan definitely looked worse

surf rock fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

during what is traditionally the biggest football drought, the usfl's top divisional championship and league championship did not draw a post, and were less successful than the inaugural season. alabama and the south being better are largely to blame, and hopefully the north will rise again

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I watched the game. It was fine. I worked for the USFL. Ask me anything.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I know I've said this before,but there's too much Spring League football with 2 leagues?

If USFL had started first, and XFL had started later, I probably would have watched more of the USFL. Especially once the weather started getting better, I had better things to do then to spend 12 hours a weekend watching football games with no one I knew and almost no one I cared about.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Agreed, I watched some of the xfl when you still need that fix and for the novelty but then you learn to accept the offseason and summer. Doesn’t help that they’re diluting a not-great-talent pool either

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, now it’s a game of chicken between ESPN and Fox Sports to see if either cuts bait.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

syzpid posted:

I know I've said this before,but there's too much Spring League football with 2 leagues?

If USFL had started first, and XFL had started later, I probably would have watched more of the USFL. Especially once the weather started getting better, I had better things to do then to spend 12 hours a weekend watching football games with no one I knew and almost no one I cared about.

I think if everything else remained the same, I'd still probably prefer the XFL, if only because I like the teams better and they actually have fans show up at games. Even the Vipers had more fans at their games than the average USFL game, and watching a Defenders or Battlehawks game is like watching a college game. That kind of atmosphere goes a long way for me.

I do agree it's too much football for the year. As things are set up currently, you have high school, college, and NFL ball happening at once, then you have XFL, then USFL, then CFL, and then it's HS/CFB/NFL season all over again. Football is my favorite sport, but there is no possible way for me to care about it all year round. I think the best outcome would be something like the XFL and USFL merging into a full-sized league, but I don't know how likely that would be

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
The beer snake was Special.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
To me, the best time for "SPRING" league would actually be like, the season starts on July 4th weekend and then finishes around the first week of the NFL Season. However, the whole reason why they picked spring is because they want to sell to potential players you could sign to a training camp and make an NFL team. Also some of those outdoor stadiums would be loving hot as hell during the dog days of summer.

I see both sides of XFL and USFL as far as starting points. Personally I think the USFL start point is better than the XFL simply because its like, the super bowl ends and you immediately roll into XFL and its just too much...but also I am a football sicko and if I didn't work for one of the leagues theres no way I'd watch either. I simply do not care. I watch too much college and nfl to want to watch even more football. It's simply too much. The logical conclusion is one of the leagues folds or they agree to do some weird merger but that won't happen. Both leagues still have the stink of upstart wannabe's too.

The USFL looks so loving amateur for not having every team play in their market and it pisses me off. On the other hand, I was a bit surprised how mickey mouse (no pun intended) the XFL was this year. They had a year to look at the USFL and they had way way way more start up capital than the USFL but they really half assed a lot of stuff. The Vegas stadium was a minor league baseball stadium that had maybe the worst turf of any field I saw all year between XFL and USFL. Also they buried so many games on FX and even though they partnered with ESPN it was kind of surprising to see that they never had stats, never really pushed game highlights, and didn't even have those generic AI game stories. Like, you'd go to the ESPN XFL tab on their home page and they literally had just the box scores. I can see how the NFL would want one of these two leagues to succeed so they can test new rules/ideas/tech but other than that its really just not fun to watch....and I get paid to watch them!

To me, the biggest long term impediment to quality of play is that the XFL and USFL have short training camps and little continuity. If you really show out in these leagues you'll get offers to at least move to a training camp and maybe do practice squad or whatever. The best team in the USFL this year was the best team last year and they had the most continuity with a decent QB. There was so much coach shuffling + QB movement from year 1 to 2 and I'd expect the same in XFL year 2 and it just drops the quality of play. Its just not particularly fun to watch.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

soggybagel posted:

Its just not particularly fun to watch.

I appreciate all your other points and the effort post but, ya, that’s it. I love clown ball as much as the next goon, but it’s just bad football. NFL rosters and scouting departments are large enough these days that there’s really not too many diamonds in the rough they’re missing. For every kurt warner, there’s a thousand kyle sloters (I know warner was more arena, and qb is different, but ya get my point)