Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Adenoid Dan posted:

Yeah that is the impression I have gotten. The stories I recall hearing were a lot of stuff along the lines of taking comfort items away and only giving a little bit of time with them as a reward for compliance. This is very different! The emphasis seemed to be on making autistic kids pass as neurotypical (lol why does my keyboard recognize neurosyphilis but not neurotypical).

I might regret posting this later, but this isn't limited to "ABA." A lot of my time at work is spent dealing with how the staff treat the students, especially in the more restrictive settings that the OP is talking about. I don't know why this happens and I don't know what the solution is. I know a teacher who is leaving this year for a different spot because we couldn't get the staff to stop yelling at the kids. It's ridiculous.

That said, I do work with some amazing people who wouldn't think twice if they had to risk their lives for these kids.

Also

500 good dogs posted:

suspensions are so dumb lol

Edit: Neatheterodude hurry up and get off probation, I want to hear what you think about this!

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 14:38 on May 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I attended my son's' school's annual fundraising auction. I'd never been to one before so I wasn't really sure what to expect.

holy hell once parents get wasted they will absolutely put down some coin.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

i do not like ABA, having heard stories from ND friends who were very hurt by it. i don't want to derail into an ABA debate but i also don't want to let it pass silently

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i do not like ABA, having heard stories from ND friends who were very hurt by it. i don't want to derail into an ABA debate but i also don't want to let it pass silently

amen

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

skooma512 posted:

Well the thing with being sober, is that it's boring and doesn't have a reward. I'm reminded of Disco Elysium's Wasteland of Reality Thought "It’ll be depressing. And it’ll be boring. Don’t expect any further rewards or handclaps. This is how normal people are all the time."

Well, yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I will say this: assuming you don't suffer from addiction, and most people don't even if they occasionally participate in substance abuse, it's really easy to sober up given any compelling reason, and really difficult to remain sober without a compelling reason. With a good reason, it's not depressing and it's not boring, and the reward is doing whatever requires your sobriety.

For obvious reasons, this ain't working in school because the reward tends to be "you get to sit through a lovely experience you hate, without the fairly slight risk of getting in trouble and then having to sit through a different lovely experience you might hate more or less."

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Dunno how taboo it is to talk money but just having declared my French taxes, I made just over 25,000 euro last year, which is just shy of $27,000 US.

I'd like to think you all are making more?

On the other hand, cost of living is manageable thanks to public infrastructure and I do get a load of time for prepwork.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

drat :smith: is that livable in France? that’s poverty wages where I live for sure.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hawkperson posted:

drat :smith: is that livable in France? that’s poverty wages where I live for sure.

I wouldn't be very comfortable on my own, but I'm going to venture yes? I know plenty of teacher's who live on their own and I have a younger co-worker who just bought a small studio for herself, albeit with her folks help (I presume).

Paris is a very expensive city, as far as real-estate goes, but food prices aren't bad (before inflation...). We don't need the costs of a car, and public transportation is 75 euro monthly, though your work pays half of it usually. There's no need for expensive health-care options. I'm sure there are other costs, but I certainly feel comfortable enough. My wife, who makes twice as much as I do, and I are buying a 860sq foot apartment, but we got it through a program that allows lower incomes to access housing. It's small, by American standards, but it'll be plenty for us here.

What is telling, and I think I've said it before, back in the 80's teacher's made nearly 80% more than minimum wage. These days were about 12% more, which isn't great. Again we have loads of vacation time and our weeks and days are rather reduced so there's that. We have real job security, if you pass the certification exam, and are very hard to get fired, plus we have relatively strong unions (particularly in public schools). It's weird.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Yeah that is much lower than the teachers in my area make.

Also, wish me luck fellow educators, we are meeting tomorrow and this one might go to a due process hearing. We had the attorney look over all the documents and everything looked good, but you never know how these things are going to go. Only 8 days left :shepface:

Eliot Rosewater
Apr 16, 2008
Anyone else stupid like me and agree to do extended school year? Me and one other SLP get to split a caseload of ~160 and none of our mod/severe teachers have the right credential. lol

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I teach ESY every summer. I do not have a caseload of 160 though, that seems loving insane. I think I have 5 this summer.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

the gently caress is this?

http://makeyourdays.com/aboutmyd/overview.html

is this poo poo as terrible as I think it is?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Bar Ran Dun posted:

one in-text citation for burns (1990) and no works cited. F.

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 90 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

This sounds sort of like that 70s cult that would have everyone sit in a circle and berate each other, but for children. Pretty bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
That 70s Show spinoff not sounding great.