Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Bright Bart posted:

What's actually sad is that a mall I frequented had a mall walking monthly pass that cost a few dollars. Now if they had mall walking group exercise they hired a coach for it would be stongy but more reasonable. As a permit to walk around while not shopping?

It's not even a large or nice mall.

A little googling tells me that some (all?) mall walking passes allow early entry to the mall. Presumably so that passholders can get their all weather walking exercise in before they leave for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Mall walking passes are so last decade. It's time to innovate. How about some mall WRESTLING passes???

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The mall closest to me is like, 70% different shoe stores now.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

DrManiac posted:

The mall closest to me is like, 70% different shoe stores now.

I've been to multiple malls now with sneakerhead shops that vacuum-bag the shoes

forumsacct51423
May 14, 2023

by vyelkin
because our society was shutdown 11 years ago? #TheMallMakesMeSad

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

BigBadSteve posted:

A little googling tells me that some (all?) mall walking passes allow early entry to the mall. Presumably so that passholders can get their all weather walking exercise in before they leave for work.

Maybe you're correct. There's no way to tell as I'm not Googling "mall walking pass" and being spammed with targetted ads for trips to Florida and estate attorneys.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Walking in circles through an empty, closed down mall sounds like the most depressing activity you could possibly imagine

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

steinrokkan posted:

Walking in circles through an empty, closed down mall sounds like the most depressing activity you could possibly imagine

Nah, it's a nice climate-controlled walking track for the winter with bathrooms every few hundred feet so you can pound an energy drink and take a fat poo poo when your bowels finally decide to move.

Not sure where y'all are getting the walking pass thing. I always went at 7 AM to Great Lakes Crossing with no pass and nobody stopped me or cared remotely. Maybe if you just have to get it done at 6 AM? idk

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

olives black posted:

Nah, it's a nice climate-controlled walking track for the winter with bathrooms every few hundred feet so you can pound an energy drink and take a fat poo poo when your bowels finally decide to move.

Not sure where y'all are getting the walking pass thing. I always went at 7 AM to Great Lakes Crossing with no pass and nobody stopped me or cared remotely. Maybe if you just have to get it done at 6 AM? idk
Want to be the mall security guard that stops old people and hassles them for their mall walking ticket.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Even if it's presented at the entrance or just an honour system it's still bizarre.

Let. The old. Folks walk where they want.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Bright Bart posted:

Even if it's presented at the entrance or just an honour system it's still bizarre.

Let. The old. Folks walk where they want.

:capitalism:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Fond memories of my mom taking me to Hot Topic in 8th grade so I could buy my KoRn and Limp Bizkit t-shirts and then buy an N64 video game at Babbage's.

Here in Orlando we have two malls that are absolutely thriving, though that's due in large part to tourism. One is basically a huge version of what we remember malls of the 90's as, and it even has a handful of niche stores as well. The other is an ultra fancy mall with high-end clothing and no fun stores. Going to both still feels like a surreal step back in time despite their popularity and that they've been modernized.

And then we have two "outlet" malls that are laid out like a classic mall but all outdoors. They're tacky and I think only exist to rip off foreign tourists.

dr_rat posted:

My first and best experience of malls was the Blues brothers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz81ZO0qfvI&t=175s

What's crazy about this is that they were able to film this because this mall was slated for demolition. But it didn't actually get demolished until 2012, and sat abandoned and in ever-increasing decay the entire time. Google "Dixie Square Mall".

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

And then we have two "outlet" malls that are laid out like a classic mall but all outdoors. They're tacky and I think only exist to rip off foreign tourists.

it should be illegal to calls these abominations malls.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

olives black posted:

it should be illegal to calls these abominations malls.
These places should be fuckin' illegal, period.

https://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/gloucester/map#/

If you look at this map of the thriving and bustling Gloucester Premium Outlets, it looks a lot like a traditional mall. The horror is that none of these corridors has a roof on it. If you visit in July you're walking endless distances on hot concrete fully exposed to the blazing sun and 100 degree South Jersey heat/humidity. The bathrooms aren't even climate controlled. And yeah, I know these things are everywhere. This is where America lost its way

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I dont wanna read through the dogshit comics the OP made why did they get banned

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

When I was a kid I had a recurring nightmare that the house next door to me was a castle and I always had a key to it in my pocket, and I would go into the castle and it would be a bustling, vibrant mall inside. I would run onto one of the moving sidewalks and get excited about what 80s mall store I was going to check out first. But then, inevitably, every single time either a T-Rex or Bowser would crash through the front gate and start smashing up the place, so I'd dive off the moving sidewalk into a store, and then all of the stores in the entire mall would start moving and shuffling around like a sliding block puzzle. I would lay low until the store I was in was near the smashed-open entrance, then run away.

One time after leaving the mall-castle I decided to throw the key away instead of keeping it in my pocket, so I pulled it out and hucked it as far away as I could. I woke up immediately after, I never had that dream again, and the concept of malls died shortly thereafter.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you look at this map of the thriving and bustling Gloucester Premium Outlets, it looks a lot like a traditional mall. The horror is that none of these corridors has a roof on it. If you visit in July you're walking endless distances on hot concrete fully exposed to the blazing sun and 100 degree South Jersey heat/humidity. The bathrooms aren't even climate controlled. And yeah, I know these things are everywhere. This is where America lost its way

:agreed:

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I work in a mall now

Well, a Target anchored to a mall.

I'm not proud of it but it pays the rent

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This is my local one of those places:

The gray lines? Those are all parking lot. Pretty sure there's more square footage of parking lot here than actual retail storefront. It's a literal ~1.2mile trip to walk a lap around the store buildings. In uncovered Phoenix Az heat.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Treecko posted:

I work in a mall now

Well, a Target anchored to a mall.

I'm not proud of it but it pays the rent

really don't feel like there's anything to be ashamed of here. there are far, far worse things you could be doing to support yourself under capitalism.

https://youtu.be/tHEOGrkhDp0

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags

steinrokkan posted:

We used to live next to a giant mall during Covid. During the lockdowns they kept the mall open but all the stores were shut except the grocery shops.

You could still walk around with all the lights on, background music playing and not see a single soul. It was very surreal.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
The airport mall near me is sort of shaped like a giant glass donut.

https://imgur.com/a/gdrG2i9

There's a 7 storeys tall waterfall in the middle, surrounded by a terraced forest.

Very nice cafes and restaurants open up into this forest space. You can find everything here, the food is amazing. There's stuff for kids to do, including a giant playspace / jungle gym at the top of the canopy with a fantastic view. Everything is clean and neat, it's always busy and I think the vacancy rate is 0%. Parking is underneath the structure, so your car is not baking in the sun.

Even the suburban malls here are mostly doing good and always busy. They serve as community hubs and "third spaces" very well, with practical tenants like medical clinics, child care, education, salons, libraries, post offices occupying upper floors, and more conventional retail in the middle and basement levels along with eateries, convenience stores, grocery stores, liquor, electronics, collectibles, comics etc. There's usually easy access to metro transit.

I think what curses and blights the american malls is just how loving spread out everything is in suburbia. The typical dying 90s mall is a place you have to go out of your way to get to and traverse a mile of hot parking lot to enter, it's not something you organically pass through in your daily transit.

Maybe just burn down suburbia and move a little closer, try restoring a viable middle class, get rid of your car dependency, I dunno. :shrug:

frumpykvetchbot fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 15, 2023

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Maybe just burn down suburbia and move a little closer, try restoring a viable middle class, get rid of your car dependency, I dunno. :shrug:

ooooooh I would like nothing more

The Bible
May 8, 2010

This thread made me curious about my childhood mall, so I looked it up to see how it was doing.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/06/us/allen-texas-mall-shooter-reports/index.html

quote:

May 6, 2023

Eight people were killed in a shooting at an outlet mall near Dallas, and seven victims are being treated at trauma facilities, officials said Saturday night. The gunman, who authorities believe was acting alone, is also dead.

Allen, Texas, Fire Chief Jonathan Boyd said that at least nine people were sent to hospitals. “Of those that we transported, two have since died. Three are in critical surgery, and four are stable,” said Boyd.

A Dallas-area medical group says it was treating victims as young as 5 years old.

Authorities in Allen responded to the afternoon shooting at Allen Premium Outlets, prompting shoppers and workers to hide.

Welp, that's Texas.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is my local one of those places:

The gray lines? Those are all parking lot. Pretty sure there's more square footage of parking lot here than actual retail storefront. It's a literal ~1.2mile trip to walk a lap around the store buildings. In uncovered Phoenix Az heat.
a monument to capitalism's arrogance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Oakland Mall in Michigan isn't getting demolished, I guess

quote:

You feel like this is one of the sleepiest sites in Metro Detroit and we are going to wake it up,” Kiezi said. “It’s not so much money. We’re not looking to bring in gold sculptures into this place. We’re looking to bring in art, we’re looking to bring in what I call a hipster culture and you can see things in here -- we’re gonna make some very, very simple changes that are gonna go a long way.”

The hustle and bustle have dwindled over the years. Consumer habits, especially with younger demographics, a trend toward online shopping. Kiezi is taking that on as well.
“If you open up a shop here, well, you can retail, you can service the guests that come within the mall but you can also work out the back door where UPS can ship out about 150 boxes to the local community,” Kiezi said.
Hobby Lobby will be coming in where Sears used to be and LongHorn Steakhouse is also coming to the mall.
The renovations to Oakland Mall include a new name.

all my hipster friends love Hobby Lobby

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
oh also I guess this explains why Japan still does a lot of physical media

Djarum posted:

Physical media is still big in Japan. Downloads aren’t as big, piracy is also not a huge thing due to the laws and streaming is almost non-existent. A big reason is the robust resell market in Japan. Most people don’t have the kind of storage that we do in the West so people routinely sell their things to be able to afford new things. Also there isn’t a rental industry really so things like movies, music, games are routinely bought, used and then resold.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Just skimmed the store list.

https://www.oaklandmall.com/store/Stylo/2138996101/

A good chunk of the stores don't have any kind of descriptions posted. Pretty sure that the only new store is, indeed, Hobby Lobby.

:smith:

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
https://youtu.be/BsHCXIDgDfY

Interesting video tour of a dying (maybe just molting?) mall. One of the hobby stores that's been in there for awhile upgraded to a larger space and put in some tracks for RC car racing.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Retail Archaeology just updated. Holy poo poo this one's bleak.

https://youtu.be/Bi3mGVD8hS4

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
The mall in The Last of Us tv series is where my friends and I would sneak Big Bears in and watch Starship Troopers at the dollar theatre every weekend

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

HAmbONE posted:

The mall in The Last of Us tv series is where my friends and I would sneak Big Bears in and watch Starship Troopers at the dollar theatre every weekend

Big Bears were the best thing a teen could drink. Cheap and effective. I remember it being my first time getting blackout drunk. I drank 3 of them, puked all over my arms and then woke up on a couch with a dog eating the slice of rye bread that was in my mouth. Good times

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I guess we’re lucky. The mall near us still has a good variety of stores and lots of people. And the one from where I grew up does too.

Having kids has really made me think about things that are different and the same and I’d say the biggest loss is toy stores. The closest thing to a toy store my kids know is the toy aisles at Target and they lose their poo poo for those. I would love to take them to a toys r us from back in the day.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I loved walden books as a kid, loved going to the mall every couple weeks to grab the new animorphs then read the whole thing on the ride back

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I remember it felt like the end of culture in my childhood mall when the specialty train store went out of business and was replaced by a particularly lovely McDonald's. And now they're both just dust!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I guess we’re lucky. The mall near us still has a good variety of stores and lots of people. And the one from where I grew up does too.

Having kids has really made me think about things that are different and the same and I’d say the biggest loss is toy stores. The closest thing to a toy store my kids know is the toy aisles at Target and they lose their poo poo for those. I would love to take them to a toys r us from back in the day.

My son called the toys r us inside Macy's "grounded" the other day and I was trying to figure out why. Eventually I realized it's because I told him it used to be its own store until some bad people bought it and "ran it into the ground"

eta: but yeah in general the lack of big toy stores is kind of depressing. Boutique places are... a mixed bag I guess. And it's not like the metric tons of plastic crap in a toys r us was good per se. I dunno

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I used to love Kaybee Toys as a kid. It was a much different experience than simply going to the toy section of a Wal-Mart. I could have spent hours in Electronics Boutique back in the day, too. Good memories.

The local mall here doesn't have anything to compare, aside from the food court. There's a store for traditional board games and card games called "Games by James" and that's pretty cool, but I feel like that's the only store in the place that has any soul. I'm thankful they were able to survive post-COVID.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Yeah the only things of interest to me at the mall near me are a secondhand media shop and the board game shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons

Presto posted:

There's a mall near where I live (Dulles Town Center) that I joke is the Last Mall. It opened in '99, right around when people started realizing malls kind of suck and online shopping was taking off. It's perfectly fine, as far as malls go, but yeah there's something about it that's weirdly depressing.

Yeah, Dulles Town Center is fine, but it's also not anything special. Grill kabob is good though.