Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wouldn't it make more sense to just limit the President to a single term if that were truly the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

no

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

op the current and next president is vladimir putin

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Not sure haven't thought about that

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Lame dick turd

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
i think a lame duck could still like do things

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 90 days!
the reward points op

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

The rules weren't made to make sense. Being the president is addictive. Now get back to work dipshit.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
just have congress elect the president like they used to like with scotus judges but make it a lifelong term as well.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
political capital

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 90 days!
when i finish my 2nd term ill have enough points for airfare to a popular tourist destination and a potus windbreaker

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i mean the very first thing obama did after he left office was go on a speaking tour for corporate ghouls for like 750k an appearence so you tell me

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

the answer to every "why does the govverment do this" question is: its easy, were dumb.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
The second term is when the prezzie can get buckwild bc they done gotta worry about re-election :whatup:

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

doesnt make sense

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

traditionally the lame duck period was just in the last year or so of a second term presidency i think. basically just an excuse for everybody to go buck wild for a bit back in the old days. of course now :decorum: has led the dems to treat the presidency as lame from day 1 so that they can sit back and relax in any situation

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

They have the opportunity to really go apeshit off the rails now that they don't have to worry about appealing to voters. None of them have ever done it, but uh it could happen

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
has anyone posted 'lame cuck' yet

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
if prez does a super job in first term, then the people reward them with a second one to protect all the good stuff they did

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jabberlock posted:

They have the opportunity to really go apeshit off the rails now that they don't have to worry about appealing to voters. None of them have ever done it, but uh it could happen

joe gonna go full feral instead of continuing to decay and do nothing

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
the lame duck term comes from the knowledge that it is the last term, so if they only had one it'd all be lame

what you should actually do is remove the term limit, as this prevents any term from being truly lame

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I always thought the lame duck period was the time between the election and the new president being sworn in. it’s still part of his term but he’s a lame duck because the new guy’s already been picked so no one really cares anymore

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

super sweet best pal posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to just limit the President to a single term if that were truly the case?

Then the president would be a lame duck from day one, which would be extremely funny

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the phrase "lame duck" has gone a number of transformations

the original meaning pertained to Congress, where it is possible to have a situation where the election has already happened, and the newly-elected Congresspersons have not yet been sworn in, and the defeated incumbents are still holding office, but Congress is still having sessions

the implication here is that the "lame duck Congress" should not rock the boat, or pass any kind of radical, or even significant legislation, out of a sense of decorum. That is, you already know you're on the way out, please don't exploit your last remaining days in office to rock the boat

over time, this was expanded to also apply to the President

and further, this was expanded to apply to not just the period of November to January where the Presidential election has already been decided and the sitting President is about to run out on their term, but also to encompass the entire second term of the President

that is, you've won a second term, and you can no longer run again, please don't exploit this opportunity to turn into a radical now that consequences don't matter

it should be pretty easy to see that this is exactly backwards: if you have nothing to lose (save impeachment, whatever), then all the more should you take advantage of that fact and just do whatever you want

of course, no American president has ever actually been so radical that this was ever in danger of happening, so the real reason why this phrase and this particular use of it gets slung around is for the media to create excuses for the President.

as in, they would like us to think that, actually, Obama really is a progressive, he just tamped down his radicalism because he was a lame duck after 2012 and he had respect for the office. Get it?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As for why they don't just have 1 term, it is probably too chaotic, while those with wealth don't want a politician to stay too long, but they don't want it too be a little too unpredicable. If anything having a president you are sure won't create a problem have 2 terms is the sweet spot especially any change in policy only happens during their "100 days."

Basically, the hope is that only a few minor acts/tweaks are passed every 8 years or so beyond usual corporate subsidies.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
One 6 year term after which they are executed.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

one lame dick please, extra tricky

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

mcmagic posted:

One no year term before which they are executed.

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010
is the assumption that the part of the duck that's lame is its wing, so it cant soar the skies (which humans find impressive because we cant fly) or is it one of its little paddlers, so that when its on the pond it just swims in little circles not getting anywhere? who invented the term? no googling.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It's a duck that never does anything cool and only ever wants to talk about baseball stats

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Mayor Dave posted:

Then the president would be a lame duck from day one, which would be extremely funny

you’re right

best to just not have a president then, glad we sorted this out!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Presidency is for life but exactly 4 years after ascending a UFO takes them away never to be seen again

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, if we limited presidencies to one term, all presidents would be lame ducks for their entire tenure. This way, we at least give presidents the option of having one meaningful term, whether they choose to take it or not.

—USA

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Vote

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Colonel Cancer posted:

Presidency is for life but exactly 4 years after ascending a UFO takes them away never to be seen again

presidency for life but every 4 years the sitting president has to defeat the entire Senate in single combat

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

erosion posted:

has anyone posted 'lame cuck' yet

im quoting one 🤣🤣🤣

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
lame duck, same cuck, coincidence??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU