Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
The Norco Bank Job:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norco_shootout

wikipedia posted:

The Norco shootout was an armed confrontation between five heavily armed bank robbers and deputies of the Riverside County and San Bernardino County sheriffs' departments in Norco, California, on May 9, 1980. Two of the five perpetrators and a sheriff's deputy were killed; eight other law enforcement officers, a civilian, and two other perpetrators were wounded; and massive amounts of gunfire damaged at least 30 police cars, a police helicopter, and numerous nearby homes and businesses.
In response to the fact that the suspects' weapons were superior to that of the police responding to the incident, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department equipped their deputies with Ruger Mini-14s chambered in .223 Remington as well as the M16 and AR-15. Police departments began purchasing more powerful firearms and equipping surveillance helicopters with weapons. Following the robbery, the Irvine Police Department used the case to create a training video. Though it occurred in 1980, it is still used in training law enforcement personnel in anti-terrorism and survival. As impetus for acquiring new weapons and as a training framework for anticipating violence, the Norco shootout contributed to improving of officer survival training for police forces across the United States.[6]

A street in Norco was named "Deputy Evans Drive" to honor James Evans, the officer who was killed during the shootout.

So, here we have an extremely well documented single event which unquestionably led to a rabid expansion of police firepower, and yet, in googling, I can't find a single :tinfoil: person making the claim that this was all a setup to achieve those exact ends.

On the other hand, basically every mass casualty event Columbine to present has had exactly those :tinfoil: claims made, even though in every case the actual impact of the events on policy was nonexistent.

The only common thread I can think of is that the Norco job happened somewhat before internet culture had started to poison everything in proper, and so culturally we had less brainworms at that time even the fringe parts of society were more able to accept the idea that bad guys with guns do bad things without state support or crisis actors. I hope I'm wrong about that, because if true, hosed up, doomer!

If a Norco like event happened tomorrow, we'd see the same escalation in law enforcement buying ever more firepower, but I also think the Q-Shaman would get involved somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Smoke weed and forget about it.

4/20/23 :2bong:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The conspiracy guys are okay with the local PD getting more guns. It's only a police state if it's the Feds.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Because no one has told them to.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

drat lol, those guys got to three stars and shot down the helicopter.

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

It's over 40 years old op. The people who were alive for it are largely scared of the internet and probably just watch cable tv.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Because robbing a bank is a really plausible motive for what happened.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
here's an old reddit thread asking the same thing with a link to a removed youtube video :tinfoil: https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/comments/2pwqmn/north_hollywood_shootout_conspiracy/

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Seems like mods have seized more and more power since the Derpies incident tbh, but at least they're keeping us safe from weirdo psycho freaks

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Lol they brought a katana

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

TaurusTorus posted:

Lol they brought a katana

Bat'leths hadn't been invented yet

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
This is exactly what the Epstein thread in CSPAM is for. I'll ask them for you if you want. They know all the black ops.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Norco is a poo poo name for a place. Very ugly to say, read, think about.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

Quotey posted:

This is exactly what the Epstein thread in CSPAM is for. I'll ask them for you if you want. They know all the black ops.

You mean “imagine”, not “know” right?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems like a little much of a response for a simple bank robbery. Police just wanted better guns for sure.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, I know this, it was posted about and discussed in another thread within the laste few days.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The Norco Bank Job:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norco_shootout

So, here we have an extremely well documented single event which unquestionably led to a rabid expansion of police firepower, and yet, in googling, I can't find a single :tinfoil: person making the claim that this was all a setup to achieve those exact ends.

On the other hand, basically every mass casualty event Columbine to present has had exactly those :tinfoil: claims made, even though in every case the actual impact of the events on policy was nonexistent.

The only common thread I can think of is that the Norco job happened somewhat before internet culture had started to poison everything in proper, and so culturally we had less brainworms at that time even the fringe parts of society were more able to accept the idea that bad guys with guns do bad things without state support or crisis actors. I hope I'm wrong about that, because if true, hosed up, doomer!

If a Norco like event happened tomorrow, we'd see the same escalation in law enforcement buying ever more firepower, but I also think the Q-Shaman would get involved somehow.

No, because the truth is obvious to everyone and there’s no feeling of superiority or being special by knowing “insider” information.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
probably more useful to just understand that the 2nd amendment + industrial revolution = arms race within your borders eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm so fucknn nasty... I could got to the turlett but I blew out... on the bed, my rear end so faded I hugged that poo poo to my belly like a warm puppy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)