Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I had my quibbles before but yeah that was a tipping point for me where my opinion shifted from being overall positive with some flaws to ehhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

someone awful. posted:

tamora pierce is loudly a LGBTQ ally, and the only weird thing I remember from my last reread is how commonly she does older guy/younger woman romance, which... doesn't feel particularly great in a coming of age type story for girls, but eh. could be way worse
The thing I remember REALLY seeming bad even at the time I read it (I shamelessly leeched off my sister's Pierce collection and enjoyed all of them) was that the Trickster's duology was a story about how the colonized need leadership and expertise from outside their people to get anything done and the important thing is to be sure your revolt against the colonizing ethnic group enslaving your people is bloodless and reassure them they won't be persecuted.
In retrospect, I also get a generalized feeling of classism-adjacency in that although nobles and royals could be bad, they were bad because they were bad people or on the wrong side, while the rightness of being born to be Better Than Others never being questioned. Noblesse oblige with a straight face.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

aniviron posted:

I also read Snow Crash for the first time about five years ago and while my opinion isn't quite that negative, I certainly have mixed feelings about it, and wouldn't say I love it. It has its moments, I don't regret having read it, but it's also unsettling and unpleasant in some ways that don't strike me as intentional or good.
i read it as a young adult and was blown away as other posters describe, then re-read it more recently and was kind of struck by how lovely stephenson handles women. the vagina dentata is a great example, just everything about diamond age is WAY WORSE

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

i took a gamble on a neuromancer reread and probably enjoyed it more than any other time tho im sure its flawed from a lot of perspectives. i think pkd is a good substitute for gibson in general but that book is an exception, it feels like the ramones s/t or any other band that starts with a banger album but doesn't follow up that effectively. i think u can cut the last sentence tho it goes without saying and that bugged me, felt like ending on a redundancy

terry pratchett i'd say for this thread, funny but theres no going back, much like the poster above talking about the hitchhikers stuff

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
For what it's worth, I'm in my 30s reading (actually: listening) Pratchett for the first time. It's not riotous, but it's fun enough that I almost look forward to my commute.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Famethrowa posted:

Microserfs is a lot better and feels more timeless if you ever want to revisit the world of depressed programmers. still cynical, but everyone other then the corporate machine is treated with humanity and not just a person cured of their dysfunction by realizing they are autistic ugh.

my "can't go back" is William Gibson novels. Neuromancer hit me just right at a formative time in my life, but his early style feels a little trite looking back, and PKD hits the spot in a more satisfying way now.

Microserfs was fantastic and still is.

Neuromancer is actually my favorite novel ever and I do re-readings of it pretty often and TBH it makes me like it *more* each time. That said though, I've always wanted to read PKD; what's a good place to start with him?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EdsTeioh posted:

Neuromancer is actually my favorite novel ever and I do re-readings of it pretty often and TBH it makes me like it *more* each time. That said though, I've always wanted to read PKD; what's a good place to start with him?

I'd recommend A Scanner Darkly, Flow My Tears the Policeman Said, or yes, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

My favorite of his books is VALIS, but I wouldn't call it a good starting point -- it was written right after he had his mental breakdown so it's a very strange book.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Selachian posted:

I'd recommend A Scanner Darkly, Flow My Tears the Policeman Said, or yes, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?.

My favorite of his books is VALIS, but I wouldn't call it a good starting point -- it was written right after he had his mental breakdown so it's a very strange book.

Thanks very much! Which of these is the shortest and/or quickest read? I'm doing a 12 in 12 and need something to fit in there (I'm a v slow reader).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I generally like Ubik as an introduction to PKD - it's short and shows a bunch of themes he liked to work with. All three mentioned above are extremely solid, though.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."

EdsTeioh posted:

I loved the novel, but the ending, unlike the rest of the novel, has aged poorly because of the very well-documented failures of facilitated communication. Yeah, yeah, artistic license, etc. (I don't know if spoiler tags are warranted for a nearly 30-year-old novel.)

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Every SciFi book I read up until uhhh 10nyears ago. I'm looking at you Peter f hamilton

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

silvergoose posted:

The incarnations of immortality. I loved most of that series as a kid and I'm 100% sure it's complete and utter garbage.

Xanth I kind of knew it was trash even when I was reading it as they came out, but...

There are a lot of ideas and world building in Incarnations of Immortality that I love and still think about, but I don’t think I could go back to them either. I knew some of them were bad while I was reading them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I've been thinking about Galactic Pot Healer by PDK lately, That's a favorite of mine that I've been meaning to revisit so you might want to check that one out as well. Scanner Darkly also owns