Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Phillip K. Dick is one of the greatest sci-fi authors ever. Probably most famous for Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which was turned into Blade Runner, and The Man in the High Tower, that’s just scratching the surface of his oeuvre. I’m currently reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch and it is some trippy poo poo.

The guy can write some really weird poo poo and I’ve only read a few of his, but I’m intending to read a lot more after Palmer Eldritch. Then I’m going to post about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’ve read a few of his. He’s very, very, very much an “ideas guy”, whoch is why I think his books turn into movies so well. They’re packed with innovative ideas (overpacked, really, often with two or three things that should be the “main thing making this sci-fi” all at once with no discernible congruent theme) with garbage characters, dialogue, and journeyman writing ability in general. Pacing is all off, etc. but still, just great ideas in those weird books.

My favorite, which I never see anyone talk about, is Martian Time Slip. It revolves around a dinner/meeting that goes terribly wrong, as seen through sketchy premonitions and distorted memories; but the actual night of the event itself is skipped over. It’s a great conceit and works really well. The looming malice and strangeness of the world is palpable.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I think a sense of looming malice and desperation is a big thing for PKD generally. He does not write pleasant worlds.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
I got copy of The Hanging Stranger for free and that originally caught my interest.

I had heard of "Do Androids Dream..." but wasn't ware of the author.

A Scanner Darkly was really outstanding.
I think his writing style really helped with the juxtaposition of the protagonists sort of... "dual life" (tough to explain without spoilers) and the descent into a sort of fugue before the end.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
Ubik was pretty effective at screwing with my expectations. There's so much going on which doesn't ring alarms at first read and then it clicks and snaps shut on you.

And A Scanner Darkly's protag could speak with a self-aware voice which fit regardless of the role they were in. Their constant questioning of their own directives made them both reliable and unreliable. I love the section in the driveway, where he realizes the insanity/inanity of the argument he's having but continues talking.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Ubik kicks rear end. probably my favorite of his.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Last PKD book I read was Dr. Futurity which went some fairly wild places, definitely feels like he loses interest in one sci fi concept halfway through and just plows headfirst into a different one.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Plebian Parasite posted:

Last PKD book I read was Dr. Futurity which went some fairly wild places, definitely feels like he loses interest in one sci fi concept halfway through and just plows headfirst into a different one.

That's our Crap Artist PKD

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

That's our Crap Artist PKD

iirc the opening concept of the book is "This society has a set amount of people alive and no one new can be born until someone dies so they hate doctors and curing people" and the book ends with Time traveling native americans going back in time to kill Columbus and make sure the new world is never discovered

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Plebian Parasite posted:

I read that for a time PKD would use meth and go on these 24-hour writing binges, and several of his earlier works were basically written in two or three of these meth-fueled sessions. He'd go over the whole work once for revisions, then submit.

If you read enough of his books you learn to identify when exactly one meth session ended and another began.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Plebian Parasite posted:

iirc the opening concept of the book is "This society has a set amount of people alive and no one new can be born until someone dies so they hate doctors and curing people" and the book ends with Time traveling native americans going back in time to kill Columbus and make sure the new world is never discovered

lmao this was not a twist I was expecting

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Judgy Fucker posted:

I read that for a time PKD would use meth and go on these 24-hour writing binges, and several of his earlier works were basically written in two or three of these meth-fueled sessions. He'd go over the whole work once for revisions, then submit.

If you read enough of his books you learn to identify when exactly one meth session ended and another began.

Absolutely this

I read Electric Sheep and Man in the High Castle as a kid before I knew anything about Dick's background or what stimulants are and it was really apparent that something weird happened to the author between pages. IIRC there is that one sections in Androids where the protagonist just fucks off into the desert and talks to an electric toad and cries. Or that scene in High Castle where the protagonist is suddenly attacked by her Italian lover(?) in the bathroom and these scenes still stick out in my mind after all those years.

After I read Scanner Darkly everything made so much sense.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I really liked Counter-Clock World where time goes backward and it's just weird as hell. Instead of failing to recall the plot, I'll just post a blurb from Wikipedia and say it would make a super cool movie and maybe what TeneT should have been? Maybe it was, I only saw part of it on tv in a hotel.

wikipedia posted:

The Hobart Phase is the new order of life where people rise from the dead and are rejuvenated. Time reversal apparently began in 1986. Other than aging, Hobart Phase resurrection has changed nutritional and excretion processes and associated social taboos. People do not eat, but instead consume "Sogum" anally through a pipe, and later "plop" out food orally, which is done in private, due to its 'shameful' nature. As for smoking, cigarettes are no longer smoked, but the smoke instead blown back into them, making them grow back to normal size (this also clears and freshens the air). "Goodbye" and "hello" have reversed their order within standard greetings, and "food" is used as a drop-in replacement for the expletive "poo poo"

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I do not have schizophrenia (as fas as I know) but reading Valis seems to give a pretty good first-person impression of the condition to those without it

I also could never get over "Horselover Fat" lol

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Judgy Fucker posted:

I do not have schizophrenia (as fas as I know) but reading Valis seems to give a pretty good first-person impression of the condition to those without it

I also could never get over "Horselover Fat" lol

Best self insert name ever

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I think about how Ubik was made into a squad based tactics game maybe once a month. I'm not convinced it really exists.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
haha. i wonder if you can get into an argument with a door.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I need to read ubik.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

I need to read ubik.

Yes, you do

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I think about how Ubik was made into a squad based tactics game maybe once a month. I'm not convinced it really exists.

wtf

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

that's worse than the sequel to Groundhog Day being a VR game!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

when you read Ubik, think about how "coin operated everything" is currently a serious idea being promoted by bitcoiners

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
When i was younger, i thought that "Blade Runner/Androids..." was a glimpse into some horrible future

But every time i see anything new from Boston Dynamics, or like 4000 drones flying in perfect synchronicity, I become more and more convinced that Second Variety is exactly the future we have created.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah. The future isn't cool cyberpunk poo poo like androids or flying cars. It's arguing with the coin-operated door to your own apartment in a Bezoschevka to let you in.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah. The future isn't cool cyberpunk poo poo like androids or flying cars. It's arguing with the coin-operated door to your own apartment in a Bezoschevka to let you in.

How am I just now putting together that the Futurama writers room must've had some Dick laying around the breakroom

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Just finished Stigmata. Very cool book, I enjoyed it a lot.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I read Do Androids Dream back in high school, circa 2006. A couple years later (2010 ish) I read Scanner Darkly. A year or so back I read High Castle. I'm actually rereading Androids now and it's a trip. I remember a lot actually but I appreciate it more now (as I probably appreciate everything more now). It's also funny because back then the book being set in the far-flung year 2021 seemed quaint and now that is actually the past so it's pretty funny and even more quaint.

I'll probably read more Dick this year, way way back I bought almost all of his novels because Amazon had them all for $2 (except Androids but that was on sale a few years ago so I got it too). I think I'll do Ubik or maybe Flow My Tears because those interest me the most.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Joe Chip Money would be a good username

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Just yesterday a friend mentioned Electric Sheep to me, first time I'd thought about it in a while. I haven't read it or any of his work but this thread is making me think I should put it on my list.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

rear end-penny posted:

Just yesterday a friend mentioned Electric Sheep to me, first time I'd thought about it in a while. I haven't read it or any of his work but this thread is making me think I should put it on my list.

it's really different from Blade Runner so don't go into it expecting that.

Chimbley Sweep
Jul 21, 2006

haggisforthesoul's mortal frenemy
I went through a really bad depression hole in my early 20s, stopped going to college, only left my room for work, and would lay around alternating between Terry Pratchet and PKD. UBIK sticks out in my mind as being the worst I’ve ever felt while reading. It’s so unrelentingly bleak. The hopelessness of the scene on the staircase sticks out to me.
I got half-way through VALIS and sought out psychiatric help.

I have not read any PKD since, but I really want to see if UBIK was that depressing or if my mental health was throwing off my perception.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Chimbley Sweep posted:

I went through a really bad depression hole in my early 20s, stopped going to college, only left my room for work, and would lay around alternating between Terry Pratchet and PKD. UBIK sticks out in my mind as being the worst I’ve ever felt while reading. It’s so unrelentingly bleak. The hopelessness of the scene on the staircase sticks out to me.
I got half-way through VALIS and sought out psychiatric help.

I have not read any PKD since, but I really want to see if UBIK was that depressing or if my mental health was throwing off my perception.

it was taught in my friends graduate level psychology class as an example of how psychosis changes the way people process information and think, so it probably was hitting way harder as a result.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I read flow my tears and scanner darkly. I really liked that film adaptation of scanner with Keanu and the squigglevison, the movie version gave me feels.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Decedent posted:

I read flow my tears and scanner darkly. I really liked that film adaptation of scanner with Keanu and the squigglevison, the movie version gave me feels.

"Because if the scanner sees only darkly, the way I do, then I'm cursed and cursed again. I'll only wind up dead this way, knowing very little, and getting that little fragment wrong too."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc03l3zt3t4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
I saw this exchange about PKD online and lol

quote:

-I was a student of [Famous fiction author and contemporary of PKD who will remain unnamed because it could potentially dox me] who would tell us stories like “yeah me and Phil worked at a pizza place for a bit and we got fired because we made meat foam with the sausage grinder.” So you gotta understand that Phillip K. Dick was actually just like that all the time. VALIS is dope, but in terms of sci-fi-authors-cum-occultists prefer Robert Anton Wilson’s work.

-This is great and amazing, do you have any more stories

-Apparently one time PKD invited his girlfriend and my teacher to Disneyland. They were eating lunch and PKD suddenly decided to dump his girlfriend. However, he had to interrupt the breakup several times because my teacher kept stealing fries off PKD’s plate, and PDK had to keep telling him to stop.