Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit

rear end-penny posted:

actually bad news for you my orb, the current Congress is immortal and will be serving their terms indefinitely to rule over the hellish parking lot that they turn this country into forever and ever :amen:

:ohdearsass:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit

cruft posted:

If you were wondering whether it is possible to be in a train, and in Wisconsin, at the same time, the answer is YES, MOTHERFUCKER.

I want to be eating wisconsin cheese while in wisconsin, even if it's just on a train passing through it.

Getting some authentic wisconsin curds is on my short bucket list.

cruft

Okay, pulling into Chicago now. Doot de do.

I was unable to get a stable connection to Office 365 on the train, so I guess I'll be doing a bit of work tomorrow in order to get ahead of the poo poo storm coming up next week.

cruft

If you ever find yourself needing some good looking clothing suitable for a middle-aged American, but which can also line dry in 6 hours in Chicago, I can't recommend Ex Officio enough.

cruft

I'm back in the Chicago station. Met a colleague for brunch, so now I can expense the outrageous hotel, since I did business here.

I'm kind of running out of things to post, so if anyone has questions, please ask.

cruft

The Southwest Chief doesn't do seating assignments in Chicago. I guess that's just the Empire Builder.

I hope I can get a window.

cruft

Boy, the boarding process in pretty chaotic and long, compared to the Empire Builder.

Hot take: seat assignments make a lot of sense in a busy town like Chicago.

cruft

Cripes! Where did I put my friggin' earbuds!

That's two electronics items lost on this trip, ugh.

I think things are falling out of the top compartment of this backpack. Either that or, because the backpack is new to me, I don't yet have a system for where stuff goes, and I'm putting it in my shirt pocket, where it falls out? Seems unlikely but I have no other idea.

They put me at the very front of the car, by the observation car. So there's a ton of traffic in and out. I've been scrambling trying to find the friggin' earbuds for the last half-hour but now I guess I need to just chill out and watch a movie or something.

I really hate losing stuff.

Ass-penny

:rip: you are lost things cruft. my heart goes out to you, goon.

cruft

I don't know if it was here, but I was saying earlier that these $9 Panasonic wired earbuds are actually more comfortable than my wireless things. Battery lasts forever, and I bet I can even sleep with 'em in. And then I go and lose the wireless things. Maybe it's a sign.

Train news: should I have crackers and guacamole, or a microwave grilled cheese sandwich from the shop under the observation area?

cruft

Train just stopped.

Was it for a freight train? We'll see! Expect some righteous posting if so!

cruft

It was freight, but it didn't slow us down for very long.

sb hermit

cruft posted:

Cripes! Where did I put my friggin' earbuds!

That's two electronics items lost on this trip, ugh.

I think things are falling out of the top compartment of this backpack. Either that or, because the backpack is new to me, I don't yet have a system for where stuff goes, and I'm putting it in my shirt pocket, where it falls out? Seems unlikely but I have no other idea.

They put me at the very front of the car, by the observation car. So there's a ton of traffic in and out. I've been scrambling trying to find the friggin' earbuds for the last half-hour but now I guess I need to just chill out and watch a movie or something.

I really hate losing stuff.

I, too, hate losing stuff.

I need to put more of those bluetooth trackers on my small things like keys, usb sticks, and my mind. At least then I'll know if it's in my bag or if it's at the restaurant where I last noticed them

sb hermit

cruft posted:

I don't know if it was here, but I was saying earlier that these $9 Panasonic wired earbuds are actually more comfortable than my wireless things. Battery lasts forever, and I bet I can even sleep with 'em in. And then I go and lose the wireless things. Maybe it's a sign.

Train news: should I have crackers and guacamole, or a microwave grilled cheese sandwich from the shop under the observation area?

I vote for grilled cheese if you didn't get anything yet.

If you get the guacamole, please let us know how it was.

cruft

sb hermit posted:

I vote for grilled cheese if you didn't get anything yet.

If you get the guacamole, please let us know how it was.

I had the guac. I brought it with me from Target. It was pretty good, but I might go get the Mac & Cheese anyway. I might buy a tiny bottle of wine too, who can predict?

sb hermit

cruft posted:

I had the guac. I brought it with me from Target. It was pretty good, but I might go get the Mac & Cheese anyway. I might buy a tiny bottle of wine too, who can predict?

Ah. I thought it was like something they made fresh on the train so I was morbidly curious.

cruft posted:

I'm back in the Chicago station. Met a colleague for brunch, so now I can expense the outrageous hotel, since I did business here.

I'm kind of running out of things to post, so if anyone has questions, please ask.

Assuming that you've generally been taking long haul passenger trains and very few commuter trains, has the conductor ever tried to direct the passengers' attention to something regionally cool like a landmark, or spouted random facts about a destination, or anything else touristy over the PA system?

"over on the north side, you can see the third biggest ball of twine in Kansas, as well as the top rated bed and breakfast in Sedgwick County. Next stop, Wichita."

sb hermit

after careful thought, I have come to the conclusion that you do not need to refrigerate any ingredients necessary for guacamole before you make it. But you should be very careful about how you store your avocados.

cruft

sb hermit posted:

Assuming that you've generally been taking long haul passenger trains and very few commuter trains, has the conductor ever tried to direct the passengers' attention to something regionally cool like a landmark, or spouted random facts about a destination, or anything else touristy over the PA system?

No, not on any of the routes I've ever traveled. The Amtrak Cascades has, I think, some monitors that point stuff out, including the Mysterious Mima Mounds. I do remember going past them several times.

sb hermit posted:

you should be very careful about how you store your avocados.

Truth

sb hermit

You mentioned that the internet was spotty. Is it provided by amtrak? Is it normally fast enough to stream movies? And how often does it cut out?

sb hermit

cruft posted:

No, not on any of the routes I've ever traveled. The Amtrak Cascades has, I think, some monitors that point stuff out, including the Mysterious Mima Mounds. I do remember going past them several times.

Dang. It would be nice to have an observation car with something plugged into chatgpt that can softly tell you about local communities, distinctive traits about them, the most popular item on the breakfast menus of the nearby cafes that aren't available elsewhere, and other endless minutiae. Like a wiki walk to fall sleep to.

sb hermit

Like, one of my most favorite dishes is Utica greens, which is a dish primarily served in upstate new york. I really can't find it anywhere else.

sb hermit

the chatgpt bot should also speak in the local accent and dialect

more falafel please

forums poster

sb hermit posted:

Like, one of my most favorite dishes is Utica greens, which is a dish primarily served in upstate new york. I really can't find it anywhere else.

yeah I've never heard of Utica greens but it sounds good. who doesn't like escarole

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

cruft

sb hermit posted:

You mentioned that the internet was spotty. Is it provided by amtrak? Is it normally fast enough to stream movies? And how often does it cut out?

They are rolling out Internet access to all trains, but for now, neither the Empire Builder nor the Southwest Chief have it. I'm tethering to my cell phone.

I learned today that the Northwest Corridor is the only region where Amtrak is profitable. Lame.

cruft

The car just lost power.

Okay, and now it's back.

sb hermit

cruft posted:

They are rolling out Internet access to all trains, but for now, neither the Empire Builder nor the Southwest Chief have it. I'm tethering to my cell phone.

I learned today that the Northwest Corridor is the only region where Amtrak is profitable. Lame.

must be the mysterious mima mounds

cruft

The rail in Colorado and Kansas is just awful. People are bouncing all over the place.

Anyway, good morning. I slept way better last night, and I don't know why.

Oh, wait, maybe it was the Benadryl. I'm at the very front of the car, right next to the door between cars, so people are constantly opening the door, which makes it loud.

Did I mention the rail is incredibly rough in Colorado? Holy crap.

cruft

This old lady with some sort of British accent was talking to a conductor about how she could get from Lamy to Santa Fe. She said the shuttle was full, or something.

I told her we'd give her a ride, and now she wants to give me money. #whitepeople

cruft

1h40m to Lamy.

I found my earbuds! Put 'em in my coat pocket before I folded my coat up and attached io to my backpack.

So that's good.

cruft

This train ride is long, yo.

And when I go to Washington DC it's gonna be 10 hours longer.

This is the pace of travel for me now. Hopefully I'll get used to it.

sb hermit

cruft posted:

1h40m to Lamy.

I found my earbuds! Put 'em in my coat pocket before I folded my coat up and attached io to my backpack.

So that's good.

:toot:

sb hermit

cruft posted:

Is it still bumpy? Is it possible to do anything except hold onto your lunch?

cruft

It's not *that* bumpy. Just, like, this is why the train can't go 120MPH bumpy.

I'm in a car with my wife now, so trip over!

sb hermit

cruft posted:

It's not *that* bumpy. Just, like, this is why the train can't go 120MPH bumpy.

I'm in a car with my wife now, so trip over!

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

cruft posted:

If I had to travel, I would welcome this pace.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!