Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Being able to pass as a believer is one of the many life skill scouts teaches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jato posted:

Cool thread idea. I was a Cub Scout and enjoyed it quite a bit but my mom pulled me out of it before I moved on to the Boy Scouts because she had a lot of issues with how our den was run. It was very heavily Christian which didn't jive with my non-religious parents at all. I'm curious what that's like these days? I assume it varies a lot depending where you are and who is involved in it. I'm a couple years out from having kids but I think some sort of Outdoor focused program like the scouts is something I'd definitely like my kids to get the opportunity to do and would probably participate in heavily as a parent.

It definitely depends. I’m in Oklahoma, infamously conservative and religious, and found a pretty secular unit that has multiple open atheists in it. We also have at least one Jewish, Muslim, and Hindu family each. Once it’s time to get kids into Scouting, feel free to visit different units in your area to get a feel for the culture and see which, if any, are a good fit for you, as there’s no geographic restrictions on which units you can join.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Our cubmaster and committee chair are moving on to the local troop since their cub is now a Scout. The incoming cubmaster just asked me to be their assistant cubmaster, and I felt obliged to accept. Being a den leader was already more than I had anticipated, but I also know Scouting at the pack level is a fully volunteer thing, and it doesn't work unless folks step up. Just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

I did go to a University of Scouting event a couple weeks ago, and that helped reinvigorate my excitement for leadership. Doing Wood badge in April, hopefully that'll keep the fire lit.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Judgy Fucker posted:

Our cubmaster and committee chair are moving on to the local troop since their cub is now a Scout. The incoming cubmaster just asked me to be their assistant cubmaster, and I felt obliged to accept. Being a den leader was already more than I had anticipated, but I also know Scouting at the pack level is a fully volunteer thing, and it doesn't work unless folks step up. Just hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!

I did go to a University of Scouting event a couple weeks ago, and that helped reinvigorate my excitement for leadership. Doing Wood badge in April, hopefully that'll keep the fire lit.

Way to step up! I did Wood Badge last April, and I am getting beaded this Friday. It definitely helped me get the fire burning for leadership again after a few years of being Cubmaster. I highly recommend Wood Badge. It was a great experience. If you have any questions about it, let me know. Also, Asst Cubmasters are just that, assistance. If the Cubmaster can't make an event, you are the one to welcome people to meetings, etc. If you already regularly attend committee meetings and help with things outside of your Den, then it should be nothing new. Plus ya know...new patch for your uniform.

My boy is a 5th grader who will move to a Troop next. Our Pack committee right now is amazing, and we not-so-secretly plan to take over a local Troop to keep all of us adult (now friends) together. We work really well together and do not wat to lose that synergy. The Troop adult leadership has been at it for a long time, and they are wanting to move on to just being Merit Badge counselors. I will probably take over as Scoutmaster at some point.

For now I will probably stay Cubmaster for a while for my pack, even though my boy won't be in it. I don't mind leading Pack meetings or being the one getting hit in the face with pies by the top selling popcorn Scouts. My boy will probably become a Den Chief to help a Den, so we can still do the Pack thing together.

shootforit fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 21, 2024